Two rooms needed Wheelchair HELP

Angelrider

Earning My Ears
Hi

I use a wheelchair full time and whenever I have gone to WDW in the past with 3 other people I've gotten an adjoining room at no extra cost. (There really isn't enough room at values for 4 people in one room with a wheelchair).

Problem is, now Didney is saying they cannot book my reservation for 2 rooms without my paying for 2 rooms. They say they can only do that at the resorts. (Not the case before).

Does anyone have experience with this issue or know anything about it? My family & I go to WDW b/c of the lack of hassles given I use a w/c. Now, I'm not so sure. I really don't want to have to deal with the anxiety of having to fight for what I need in terms of room space at WDW.

Thanks!

Sending a PM concerning my experience. If anyone wants to know what I said just ask and I'll PM you.

The only time we were "comped" for a room was at the Dolphin. We were given the extra complimentary room because we were told there would be two double beds in the room. This was after many phone calls directly to the hotel. Upon arrival we find one king bed! They were very apologetic & gave us connecting rooms, so it worked out well. Other than that one time, we have always had to pay for the rooms needed.

It is my understanding that if you require an accessible room and it has a King bed and youhave more than two people they will automatically comppt the connecting room but will not say anything about it on the reservation.

I don't understand why they didn't just do the mod and value HA rooms with a double and a set of bunks. It would leave plenty of room for a mobility device. That way it would alleviate all these issues.

While there would be increased cost, it would still be less than taking an entire room out of inventory as a second room. I understand that they use a single king rather than two doubles to make more floor space for the wheelchair (although IMHO that makes no sense either, why not just one double?)

Not a flame to those that need a HA room, just scratching me head on Disney logic.

Anne

I don't understand why they didn't just do the mod and value HA rooms with a double and a set of bunks. It would leave plenty of room for a mobility device. That way it would alleviate all these issues.

Many of the mods POR for sure and I think POFQ and CSR do have rooms with 2 beds and a roll in show. I think some of the values also have this set up. I believe WDW is trying to get away from the comping rooms that have been done in the past by giving the same options to wheelchair and non wheelchair users.

Many of the mods POR for sure and I think POFQ and CSR do have rooms with 2 beds and a roll in show. I think some of the values also have this set up. I believe WDW is trying to get away from the comping rooms that have been done in the past by giving the same options to wheelchair and non wheelchair users.

Thanks Bill! (And I'm glad you understood my post in the way it was intended!)

Anne

Anne

Also depending on the size of the power wheelchair and how well the owner can control the chair 2 beds can really make the rooms small. My DW has a powerchair and even in a room with one king it can be tight at times. A room with 2 beds would be imposable for us. You need to also remember that when they put the rollin shower in the room that they are taking alot of space out of the main part of the room for the bathroom. All of the rooms at the resort are the same size and to make the bathroom bigger the space has to come from some where. And the somewhere is from the main room.

We just came back and we stayed in POR. We had 2 rooms. One had a roll in shower and had a king sized bed. The adjoining room had a tub and had 2 double beds. Are there handicapped rooms with 2 double in them in WDW??? I have never heard or seen such a thing. I am thinkning perhaps this is why we are always (3 times) put in the same room at POR (8019, 8020).

We just came back and we stayed in POR. We had 2 rooms. One had a roll in shower and had a king sized bed. The adjoining room had a tub and had 2 double beds. Are there handicapped rooms with 2 double in them in WDW??? I have never heard or seen such a thing. I am thinkning perhaps this is why we are always (3 times) put in the same room at POR (8019, 8020).
It used to be that the only handicapped rooms with roll in showers had king beds. Recently (I don't know how recently, just that at some point in the last few years) people starting reporting that they had gotten a room with 2 double beds and a roll in shower.

The ADA does say that rooms should be available in the same assortment of sizes/styles and locations/views as the non-accessible rooms. Some of the older resorts have accessible rooms all concentrated in one area. The newer resorts do have them spread out and have different types.

Also, if you want rooms that are next to each other and have a door inside that can be opened to connect them together, you need to ask for connecting rooms. Adjoinging rooms are just rooms that are next to each other. So, all connecting rooms are adjoing, but not all adjoing rooms are connecting.

We had a room in the Alligator Bayou section of POR several years ago that had the double beds and was accessible....so not all of them have the king beds, at least at that resort. ---Kathy

I've stayed in a GF room that was HA and had two queens.

Anne

Try calling again. A different person might be able to pull the appropriate strings to get you a 2nd room.

Sending a PM concerning my experience. If anyone wants to know what I said just ask and I'll PM you.
Bill I would be very interested in hearing your experience as well.
Also our accesible room at the Dolphin this year had 2 double beds.

I just wanted to mention that no one can pull strings to get you an extra room- the extra room is given only if your party size cannot be accomodated in the resort and room type you have chosen due to your need for accessible accomodations. . WDW has changed the bedding in some of the resorts to accomodate a party of 4 with someone travelling in a w/c. If that is the case, and your room sleeps 4, then you cannot expect to be given an additional room without paying for it. I don't think that reservations agents are allowed to advise anyone as to what they will receive in advance, but you can rest assured that you will be given enough bedding for everyone in your party. They don't expect a family of four to sleep in one king bed if that's all that's offered in an accessible room type. ---Kathy

Do they have any w/c accessibles w/ roll-in showers and two double beds that connect with a standard with two doubles? This is probably what we're going to need.

As many of you know, we have 4 kids and DH is a full-time wheelchair user so we have paid for two rooms - one w/c room with king bed for us and a connecting room with 2 dbls for the kids.

This year my sister and her friend might be coming. If they do we're going to need 4 beds.

Would your sister and her friend have their own room? If not, I would think it would be really crowded with your family of 6 and two additional adults, plus room for the w/c to maneuver- all in only two rooms. If you are staying onsite you might want to consider the new ASMU suites or a DVC resort where you can spread out a bit more. ---Kathy

Would your sister and her friend have their own room? If not, I would think it would be really crowded with your family of 6 and two additional adults, plus room for the w/c to maneuver- all in only two rooms. If you are staying onsite you might want to consider the new ASMU suites or a DVC resort where you can spread out a bit more. ---Kathy

My sister does not have the money for her own room. We will have to crowd in. It's only for four days and then we're off for a three day cruise on the Wonder. We'll have to make it work if my sister ends up coming.

Do they have any w/c accessibles w/ roll-in showers and two double beds that connect with a standard with two doubles? This is probably what we're going to need.

they do at POR. we were a family of 5 who booked a room with a trundle. the accessible room did not have the trundle, beds were lower, so they let us use the connecting room. both rooms had 2 double beds. HA room had roll-in shower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter