Two Geeks and A 9/16 At-Home Disney-ish Wedding - We're married!

Your dad is going dress shopping with you? Good luck with it.

That's such an OMG moment to have at a bridal show. Two years from today. Wow! You know.....that sounds so close.

can we please drop the subject of me ordering a dress from China? Because it's not going to happen.

:thumbsup2

Looks like you're in full swing dress shopping locally.

Your dad is going dress shopping with you? Good luck with it.

That's such an OMG moment to have at a bridal show. Two years from today. Wow! You know.....that sounds so close.

:thumbsup2

Looks like you're in full swing dress shopping locally.

He actually ended up not going. Once we realized that we'd need to bring the car seat for Jacquie's daughter, he said he'd have to put the bench seat back into the van and then Jacquie said something about car seat systems (no idea what that means) and we eventually just decided that it was just best for Jacquie to drive. I asked him if he wanted to go, but he said no, if he wasn't needed to drive. So it was just me, Jacquie, Rosie, and my mom.

And yeah, no kidding (about the OMG moment). So many of them happened today.

Gonna post about dress shopping in a minute :)

A Foray Into Dress Shopping

Today, I went with my mom, best friend, and her daughter to the Alfred Angelo store in Indianapolis. Last night, Jacquie and Rosie came over to spend the night given that we'd be leaving so early. I met DF at the grocery store near our house to pick up a couple of last minute things (we'd intended to just get parmesan cheese, but there were some really good sales on a few things, so we got those, too - I'm not about to pass up 99 cent eggs). We put on Frozen for Rosie and I got dinner going. I made spaghetti and meatballs, with the meatballs from scratch because I know Jacquie loves them. Long story short, one weekend in college, I took the train home and then came back with a giant tupperware full of my mom's meatballs. Jacquie fell in love with them and we've been making them for her periodically ever since. So I figured that since she was driving, I'd make them :) We also watched Hercules (two year olds pretty much rule out anything else right now), but by the time that was over, it was pretty late, so we headed to bed.

I'd wanted to be out of the house by 7am today and we actually made it out on time! Even with my mom telling us that it would likely take us at least four hours to get to Indianapolis, it only took us just over three, and that was with a stop at McDonald's and a brief stop at a rest area. We had enough time once we got there to head into the mall that the store is a part of and hit the bathroom, considering that Rosie had spilled her juice on herself and the store wasn't open yet. My mom met us there a few minutes later. She's in Indiana for work right now, so we didn't see the point in her coming all the way home just to turn around and go back.

Since we had one of the first appointments of the day, we had a dressing room pretty quickly. Our consultant was very nice and pulled everything she could that she thought I'd like, based on the dresses I requested, and that they had in my size. They didn't have the Belle dress in my size, but that's okay. We did hold that one up to me and take a picture of it so that DF could see it (he really liked how that one looked), but it was a definite no. Too much poof.

So... Pictures!

I don't remember in what order I tried them on except for one.

10754964_10204392313401630_1905089529_n_zpsc1c09015.jpg

The Cinderella dress. I liked it, it was very pretty, but it wasn't me. I felt like I was wearing a costume.

10745038_10204392306721463_1288564390_n_zps393bbdbd.jpg

I actually really liked this one, but would have had the color be black or dark purple. But it wasn't it.

10743835_10204392309281527_1301269793_n_zps6081a943.jpg

The back.

10743455_10204392312441606_135386838_n_zps705536ef.jpg

My mom really liked this one, but I didn't. I thought it made me look pregnant.

10744701_10204392310321553_1846804024_n_zps16f30725.jpg

This one just bugged me for some reason. I'm not sure why.

10751940_10204392299761289_1266607268_n_zps74be5dcf.jpg

My mom found this one on the discontinued rack for 50% off, so I tried it on. It was pretty, but not my style, did not fit right at all, and also felt like a raincoat. The material just had an odd texture to it.

10733630_10204392299241276_479731378_n_zps4cfe9460.jpg

The Belle dress. They didn't have it in my size, so they had me hold it up for a pic for DF.

DF, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, STOP RIGHT NOW.

I MEAN IT.

Sorry, he knows where to find this and didn't want to see the dress.

This next one was the first dress I tried on. I knew almost immediately that it was the dress, but we still had to go through the others (I mean, we'd driven all that way :lmao:).

10743560_10204392315401680_1375532971_n_zps390ae419.jpg

This was when I first tried it on. I don't like crying in front of people, but I wanted to because it just felt right. My mom did cry, but I didn't know until later.

10744623_10204392296561209_16811924_n_zps7a31f428.jpg

DF, YOU CAN READ AGAIN.

I tried it on again after the other dresses and my mom asked about veils, so the consultant stuck one on my head. I wasn't really fond of the idea of a veil, but... I may have changed my mind. We just don't want to pay that much for one. My mom can sew, so she said she'd make my veil for me.

My mom asked the consultant what the chances are of the dress getting discontinued, since they've had it for a few years now. She said she didn't know and would have no idea until the store received a message from corporate to pull the dress from the floor. So my mom got some numbers from the consultant and called my dad, who she'd been sending pictures to, and talked to him for a minute. I'd been going along with the plan of just looking, but my mom wanted to make sure that the dress wouldn't disappear, especially given that we're not getting married for almost another two years.

So... The dress has been ordered. They said it should be in sometime in February or March.

I found my dress :teeth:

After the order was taken care of, we went to a restaurant in the mall for lunch and then took Rosie to the little play area to burn off some energy, since she'd been stuck in the car and then stuck in the bridal salon and then stuck at the restaurant. We decided to head home after that and Jacquie dropped me off at DF's work, since he was there until just a short while ago. He should be on his way home by now. Theoretically.

Anyway, I'd texted him after I picked the dress. He'd told me that it hadn't quite hit him yet that we're getting married. It had hit me when we got engaged (since it was practically a given that it would happen eventually), but it hadn't quite hit him yet. It did today. He told me that he was grinning like an idiot, so much so that his eyes were watering. So he's not going to see THE dress, but he will see the other pics :)

But yeah, I had a whole mess of "omg I'm really getting married" moments today. I kept asking Jacquie if it was normal to be nervous. I'm quite obviously plus size, so it's normally pretty difficult to find things that not only fit me, but look good and make me feel good. This dress does all of that.

So yeah. The dress I'd had in my head for a few years now turned out to be THE dress. And even though I didn't want one at first, I'll likely be having a veil. Today has been a very interesting day.

Thanks for letting us play!

Dana!!! That's a fabulous dress. So glad that your mom and dad pulled it your way and you have THE dress sorted. I also loved the one that you liked with the blue in the back. I think if that had been the right colour (black), it might have been a hard pick.

Congratulations.

Here's to having a veil that you like made.

Thanks for letting us play!

Not a problem :)

Dana!!! That's a fabulous dress. So glad that your mom and dad pulled it your way and you have THE dress sorted. I also loved the one that you liked with the blue in the back. I think if that had been the right colour (black), it might have been a hard pick.

Congratulations.

Here's to having a veil that you like made.

I know! I love it :cloud9: I'm honestly VERY surprised my dad was okay with it. My mom fudged the truth a bit, so he thinks it was actually being discontinued, which was the only reason he agreed to go ahead and order it today. I offered to pay my mom back for half of it, but I don't think she'll take me up on it. I'm not sure, but we'll see. The one with the blue does come with black (or pink or purple or whatever other color you want, as long as it's in the 62 they offer). I just really liked the sparkly one better :)

Thank you :flower3: And honestly, neither my mom nor I can really justify spending $100-300 on a piece of tulle that we can buy from Joann Fabric for maybe $30 at most and some beading. And that's even estimating for the more expensive tulle.

I love the dress you picked and the one in blue reminds me of my daughter's dress except she had a deep red.

I'm so glad your parents had you order it now so you won't be disappointed later. I know how hard it is to go with another style once you have something in your mind.

Congratulations, everything else will be easier choices.

The sparkly one is definitely more glamorous. How nice of your mom to *talk* your dad into getting the dress now. :thumbsup2

Now you can focus on all the rest of the details. Shoes, flowers, jewellery, hair, makeup etc. :teeth:

I just realised that the dress you got is the A line you talked about at the start of this TR. :thumbsup2

I love the dress you picked and the one in blue reminds me of my daughter's dress except she had a deep red.

I'm so glad your parents had you order it now so you won't be disappointed later. I know how hard it is to go with another style once you have something in your mind.

Congratulations, everything else will be easier choices.

They do that kind of style with a few of their dresses. That was just the one they had available in my size today :lmao: The deep red sounds like it would be pretty!

I was thrilled when my mom said to go ahead and order it. I honestly wasn't expecting to order today. I just figured we'd try on and go home and go back in a few months after the holidays or something. She just didn't want to risk it being discontinued, especially since they've had that one for at least four years (I remember seeing it when I was with my one ex, which was about four years ago).

I hope so... DF is in charge of what the guys are wearing, so that's one thing I don't have to handle :laughing:

The sparkly one is definitely more glamorous. How nice of your mom to *talk* your dad into getting the dress now. :thumbsup2

Now you can focus on all the rest of the details. Shoes, flowers, jewellery, hair, makeup etc. :teeth:

It is, but I just felt like me in it, you know? Which sounds weird, because I'm not normally a sparkly person. And yes, it was :lmao:

Shoes - Probably Converse (purple or painted Doctor Who)
Flowers - "This is the budget, these are the colors, just make it pretty"
Jewelry - Pearl necklace and earrings
Hair - No idea, probably down
Makeup - Not a single clue, since I almost never wear it to begin with

:lmao:

I just realised that the dress you got is the A line you talked about at the start of this TR. :thumbsup2

It is :teeth: Like I said, it's been in my head for a while :)

I like you with your hair down. You look very pretty with it down. :thumbsup2

I can't tell from the picture....is the sparkly bits silvery/diamonds or does it have a gold tinge to it?

With the pearls.....do you have any idea what style you'd like?

I like you with your hair down. You look very pretty with it down. :thumbsup2

I can't tell from the picture....is the sparkly bits silvery/diamonds or does it have a gold tinge to it?

With the pearls.....do you have any idea what style you'd like?

I have it up so often that sometimes I forget how long it's getting :rotfl2: Thank you :)

It's silvery, I think. Off white sequins and rhinestones. I think. I don't remember :lmao:

I like the classic pearl strands for a necklace and studs for earrings. My mom said that she has a pair of pearl screw-back earrings that she got me when I was a baby, but she has no idea where they are.

I have my interview with Disney in about ten hours. I have to get through class first, and then wait a few hours. No point in going home and coming back, since if I'm late at all, I can't interview. Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter