Two Fantsay room thermostat questions.

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
1) Do they have a "fan only" setting?

2) Are they "normal" thermostats, or those god-awful motion sensor things??

The "thermostat" is just a simple knob that you turn to make it warmer or colder. No separate fan setting.

All lights and climate controls on the Fantasy are activated by putting a card in the slot near the door. You can use any credit card size card (doesn't need a mag stripe) rather than your KTTW card.

Understood.

So the fan/blower won't activate unless the thermostat itself has to adjust the temperature in the room(?)

And no way to tell the actual temperature--just if it "feels" warmer or colder(?)

Right - to actual temperature display on the control. Also, you don't notice a difference in the air motion in any case (steady state or trying to make it warmer/cooler).

Are the light and temperature on two different 'outlets'? Meaning, you put your card into 2 different slots for them? At night, I obviously want the lights out, but want the A/C to run. Wondering how this actually works?

Are the light and temperature on two different 'outlets'? Meaning, you put your card into 2 different slots for them? At night, I obviously want the lights out, but want the A/C to run. Wondering how this actually works?

One slot for "power" for the lights and HVAC, but the there are light switches so you can just turn them off at night

There is one slot, on the wall just inside the door of your cabin. You slide your KTTW card in, and all the power in the room will work. Slide the card out, and all lights and air turn off. It's a neat power-saving strategy! Just be aware when heading out... DH has been accidentally left in the dark in the bathroom :rolleyes1 when I've been too quick to pull out my KTTW card on the way out of the cabin!! :rotfl:

OKW Lover:

Curious that you can't notice any difference in air movement when its actually heating or cooling. There MUST be an air handler/blower somewhere in there.

Maybe its severely undersized:confused3

OKW Lover:

Curious that you can't notice any difference in air movement when its actually heating or cooling. There MUST be an air handler/blower somewhere in there.

Maybe its severely undersized:confused3

I understand what you're saying Unk. I've just never noticed a difference in the noise level in the room. I think it adjusts temperature more than actual airflow.

Oh well--I'll find out in October.

What I was gunning at was if the fan would be enough "white noise" that I need to sleep at night. But if it dosen't run at all (or only if it's actually heating/cooling) it won't do me much good---

Many people download the white noise app on the ipod/iphone to use at night. You won't have any white noise from the fan in the cabin.

I had that white-noise question in the back of my mind when responding but forgot to mention it. You might want to bring a white-noise machine (or small fan) if its important to you. There are white noise app's for many smart phones.

The "thermostat" is just a simple knob that you turn to make it warmer or colder. No separate fan setting.

All lights and climate controls on the Fantasy are activated by putting a card in the slot near the door. You can use any credit card size card (doesn't need a mag stripe) rather than your KTTW card.

So if I took, say, a used gift card, we could leave that in there the whole time?

So, everytime I return to my room, it's possible that the room will be stuffy (or too cold) until "my" preset controls can adjust the AC? That doesn't really seem very efficient.

So if I took, say, a used gift card, we could leave that in there the whole time?

Yes. We always stay at WDW pre cruise and just use our KTTW card from that stay. Just pull it up slightly to deactivate the lights and AC but leave it in the slot.

Just don't use something with value as your stateroom host may accidentally take it (the are used to inserting a card when they come in to clean). My moms insurance card went missing for a few days.

Only the lights are controlled by the "key slot" not the air. I think that the reason many people think this, is that the ship as a whole is warmer when you are in port than when it's out at sea (think about when you car is running vs. idling)

Yes, any similarly sized card will work. It doesn't need a magnetic strip on it. Just the same size is all you need. However, don't just leave your lights/AC on when you leave the room. That would defeat the energy saving feature.

So, everytime I return to my room, it's possible that the room will be stuffy (or too cold) until "my" preset controls can adjust the AC? That doesn't really seem very efficient.

We never found the room to get too stuffy or cold when returning to the cabin.

It was never uncomfortable or stuffy in our stateroom when we returned. It didn't control everything running in the stateroom since the clock was still on and the things we left plugged in to charge were charging. We used an old card and removed it propping the corner in the edge of the slot so it wouldn't activate it. That way we didn't have to take another card out.

On the new ships you will not feel air flow from the HVAC system whether on a low or high setting. The air flow is very subtle, yet surprisingly efficient. It is also virtually silent IMO.
The air flows out of a/several reveals in the ceiling and is in fact hard to locate. This is why some bring wind machines, as no wind is felt from the HVAC cabin equipment. We brought a fan, yet never used it ironically. We were so tired, and the HVAC system worked well, once you figure it out. ;)

The first night it felt a bit warm so we turned the dial down a half inch. I woke up freezing. It must have dropped the temp 25 degrees in three hours. I will admit the ship/cabin can produce that change easily after sunset, but still. Careful with the thermostat. It's very touchy.

And if you have a separate cabin/bedroom for the kids, do check on the temp, because it can change drastically with a minor adjustment the the wheel. Especially given the sun exposure, then sunset, then you freeze.

Of course by the time you leave the vessel you will have it down to a science. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter