• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two days in San Diego

Mrspeaks

DIS Veteran
We will be in CA for 10 days in April. We end our trip in San Diego and will have 2 full days. My kids are 9 and 7. Some things I’ve thought of are Sea World, zoo, Lego land or the beach. Any suggestions? We will have been to Disneyland already. Possibly considering Monterey aquarium earlier in the trip.

San Diego is amazing for kids. You hit on a couple things there. Would highly recommend the SD Zoo. If you have a car, a 45-minute trip to their sister park, the SD Safari Park is an amazing experience (our kids loved it). Boat tours on the bay are really fun, especially with some of the military ships to see. So many places to eat, too. I'm sure you'll get some specific recommendations. Enjoy!

If you have a car to get there, San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is fantastic. That would be my number one pick. If you don't want to drive that far, the San Diego Zoo itself is also great. Coronado Island has a great beach, but I don't know how the weather will be in April. There are also shops and restaurants there and bike and surrey rentals. There are a lot of 1 and 2 hour Harbor Cruises in San Diego which are fun. You will definitely find plenty to do. Unless your kids are very into Lego's, Legoland would not be my choice- especially after DL. That was a one and done for us- but we haven't been there in years.

Haven't been to San Diego in years. Was there for comic con and did some exploring. Went to San Diego Zoo and Legoland. My daughter is very much into Lego's but she quickly ran out of things to do. The rides are geared to the very young. But once she found the water park, that's where she stayed. Had to check out the Legoland Hotel while we were there, wall to wall kids and Lego pieces everywhere...literally. I would never stay there. San Diego Zoo was very nice. Was at SeaWorld before our last trip, that was just okay. Monterey Aquarium/Cannery Row is nice. I used to live up the block from there. Monterey Peninsula area (Pacific Grove, Carmel, Carmel by the Sea, Carmel Highlands, Big Sur) is beautiful!

If you have a car to get there, San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is fantastic. That would be my number one pick. If you don't want to drive that far, the San Diego Zoo itself is also great. Coronado Island has a great beach, but I don't know how the weather will be in April. There are also shops and restaurants there and bike and surrey rentals. There are a lot of 1 and 2 hour Harbor Cruises in San Diego which are fun. You will definitely find plenty to do. Unless your kids are very into Lego's, Legoland would not be my choice- especially after DL. That was a one and done for us- but we haven't been there in years.

I am watching this thread closely because we will be in S. Cal the first of April this year. We have never been and will be in the lower half, so a trip to San Diego will be a good probability.
I have a dumb question, but what is the difference between the SD Zoo or the Safari Park? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks so much::)

I am watching this thread closely because we will be in S. Cal the first of April this year. We have never been and will be in the lower half, so a trip to San Diego will be a good probability.
I have a dumb question, but what is the difference between the SD Zoo or the Safari Park? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks so much::)
They are sister parks. The San Diego Zoo is in San Diego (Balboa Park) and is a more traditional zoo setting. The Safari Park is out in the middle of nowhere (so to speak), is many, many times larger than the Zoo, and is dedicated to allowing animals to live and breed in a more natural setting. There are savannas hundreds of acres big with hundreds of animals. You can walk to many areas of the park (it can be A LOT of walking). You can also take a beautiful tram ride around the main savannas, and learn all about the animals from a guide. You can pay extra for some very cool tours, where you can go out into the savanna to get closer to the animals - even feed giraffe. They are also known for their rhino expertise - we did the rhino tour, and it's amazing. They are at the forefront of work to bring back an extinct breed of rhino - it's amazing and very educational. I'd recommend you check out the Safari Park web site to see more. We would highly recommend the trip.

They are sister parks. The San Diego Zoo is in San Diego (Balboa Park) and is a more traditional zoo setting. The Safari Park is out in the middle of nowhere (so to speak), is many, many times larger than the Zoo, and is dedicated to allowing animals to live and breed in a more natural setting. There are savannas hundreds of acres big with hundreds of animals. You can walk to many areas of the park (it can be A LOT of walking). You can also take a beautiful tram ride around the main savannas, and learn all about the animals from a guide. You can pay extra for some very cool tours, where you can go out into the savanna to get closer to the animals - even feed giraffe. They are also known for their rhino expertise - we did the rhino tour, and it's amazing. They are at the forefront of work to bring back an extinct breed of rhino - it's amazing and very educational. I'd recommend you check out the Safari Park web site to see more. We would highly recommend the trip.

Thanks so much for that info. I think Safari Park is more our speed, rather than a traditional Zoo, even the SD Zoo. We will definitely check out the web site and go there.:)

If it's a nice day (which seems to be the case 300 days a year in San Diego!), make a lunch reservation at "The Watering Hole at Kijamii Overlook". Amazing outdoor views at lunch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter