tWitch from SYTYCD and Ellen show has died by suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it never time? Sandy Hook was 10 years ago TODAY and nothing has changed because it's never time to speak about the elephant in the room.
OK, let's talk about it then. First, I have been a VERY loud and outspoken activist for gun control for a very long time now. But I don't believe that gun control will stop every case of homicide or suicide. And I feel like there's a knee jerk reaction on the part of gun control activists to blame EVERY case on the gun.

Lack of access to firearms didn't stop my dad's best friend from dying by suicide. He hung himself. And access to firearms didn't guarantee my uncle's death. He shot himself in the chest and not only survived but fully recovered--he's still doing fine 40 years later.

On the flip side, mental health care isn't the magic pill that gun rights activists think it is. Many, many people who die by suicide have been in therapy for depression for literally years. They're on medication and they're doing everything right and it seems like the danger has passed, and then one day it all catches up with them again. Jamie Raskin's son is a good example of that, from what I understand.

And here's an example that proves both sides right and both sides wrong simultaneously:

I worked in a residential mental health facility where someone died by suicide WHILE in the mental health facility. It's extraordinarily rare, but it does occasionally happen. The people who provide mental health services are only human. We do the best we can, but we can't save everyone. Lack of access to firearms didn't prevent this person's death, and neither did mental health care.

I guess what I'm saying is that we DO need sensible gun reforms. But we also need to not fall into a knee jerk response that suggests that nobody would ever die violently if there were no guns. It's just not true, and it makes gun control activists look incredibly naive.

BUT, the other side also needs to not fall into a knee jerk response that suggests that mental health care is the solution to all of our problems, and that firearms don't play a role in far too many tragedies.

I don't think there's really a role for this argument in THIS specific circumstance because I think the firearm was immaterial. This was a man who executed a well thought out suicide plan. He left the house and went to a hotel. He left his car behind so his wife wouldn't have to deal with retrieving it. And he did what he went to the hotel to do. He happened to do it with a gun, but he could have done it in many different ways. Once someone is that far along the suicide path, they're going to go through with it, unfortunately, barring someone bursting into the room and physically restraining them. And as I mentioned above, mental health is not the total answer, because plenty of people have gone through with it WHILE receiving mental health care.

OK, let's talk about it then. First, I have been a VERY loud and outspoken activist for gun control for a very long time now. But I don't believe that gun control will stop every case of homicide or suicide. And I feel like there's a knee jerk reaction on the part of gun control activists to blame EVERY case on the gun.

Lack of access to firearms didn't stop my dad's best friend from dying by suicide. He hung himself. And access to firearms didn't guarantee my uncle's death. He shot himself in the chest and not only survived but fully recovered--he's still doing fine 40 years later.

On the flip side, mental health care isn't the magic pill that gun rights activists think it is. Many, many people who die by suicide have been in therapy for depression for literally years. They're on medication and they're doing everything right and it seems like the danger has passed, and then one day it all catches up with them again. Jamie Raskin's son is a good example of that, from what I understand.

And here's an example that proves both sides right and both sides wrong simultaneously:

I worked in a residential mental health facility where someone died by suicide WHILE in the mental health facility. It's extraordinarily rare, but it does occasionally happen. The people who provide mental health services are only human. We do the best we can, but we can't save everyone. Lack of access to firearms didn't prevent this person's death, and neither did mental health care.

I guess what I'm saying is that we DO need sensible gun reforms. But we also need to not fall into a knee jerk response that suggests that nobody would ever die violently if there were no guns. It's just not true, and it makes gun control activists look incredibly naive.

BUT, the other side also needs to not fall into a knee jerk response that suggests that mental health care is the solution to all of our problems, and that firearms don't play a role in far too many tragedies.

I don't think there's really a role for this argument in THIS specific circumstance because I think the firearm was immaterial. This was a man who executed a well thought out suicide plan. He left the house and went to a hotel. He left his car behind so his wife wouldn't have to deal with retrieving it. And he did what he went to the hotel to do. He happened to do it with a gun, but he could have done it in many different ways. Once someone is that far along the suicide path, they're going to go through with it, unfortunately, barring someone bursting into the room and physically restraining them. And as I mentioned above, mental health is not the total answer, because plenty of people have gone through with it WHILE receiving mental health care.
Thank you for your well thought out response. My hope is that someone will read what happened and think twice about easy access to firearms. My hope is that someone will be saved through this tragedy. I do get what you're saying about his suicide plan, but I also still firmly believe that having the gun made the planning and execution of the plan easier.

I was so sad to hear this. I have been a fan of his since So You Think You Can Dance. RIP Twitch. Prayers to his family.

I was sad to hear this news. I really didn't know much about him or his wife, but came across one of their reels on instagram a while back and started following his wife. I loved watching them dance together and I had no idea he was on Ellen and SYTYCD since I don't watch either of those shows. I saw he was in Magic Mike movie also.

I feel so bad for his wife and the kids. Such a huge talent. RIP Twitch.

Why is it never time? Sandy Hook was 10 years ago TODAY and nothing has changed because it's never time to speak about the elephant in the room.

Because it always turns into a debate, which isn't allowed on the DIS, would be my guess. Let's just keep the post to sympathy for his family , please.

Thank you for your well thought out response. My hope is that someone will read what happened and think twice about easy access to firearms. My hope is that someone will be saved through this tragedy. I do get what you're saying about his suicide plan, but I also still firmly believe that having the gun made the planning and execution of the plan easier.

Very much agreed with. But, but, if it prevented some, maybe just a few, that would be a win, a big win.
I very much agree with both of you. My concern is solely that we don't make arguments that can be easily refuted. I'd rather focus on clear arguments about things like mass shootings, at least until we get some form of gun reform through, because anything is better than nothing. Just my opinion though :)

I don't know who he is, but how very sad for his young family. You just never know what someone is going through.

Very sad news. I enjoyed watching him on Ellen’s show. I feel so sad for his family and friends.

TC :cool1:

Because firearms in the home made the decision easier. 54% of gun related deaths are suicides and over 50% of the suicides are by firearms. The two go tragically hand in hand. Hopefully someone will learn of tWitch's suicide and remove firearms from the household of someone with mental illness.
I agree that people with mental illness shouldnt have guns but if they dont have guns then you should also remove pills and knives and ropes then too🤷🏻‍♀️.

I e heard his name but never really watched any of the stuff he did.

I'm hopeful that some of these high profile suicides start to shine a light on the problem. Suicide, by fun or otherwise, is so prevalent and the signs aren't always easy to spot. Lots of "happy" people commit suicide.

That being said easy access to guns makes the decision to commit suicide more deadly. I'd have to search for the data but on a podcast years ago I remember a psychiatrist mentioning that when a gun is available the success rate of an attempt goes up due to a combination of efficiency and ease.

Did anybody watch The Real Dirty Dancing earlier this year? It was held at the resort where they filmed the movie. A group of celebrities paired off and competed to be named the real Baby and Johnny. tWitch was the host and judge, and he did such an amazing job. If you're a fan, it's well worth a watch.

https://www.fox.com/the-real-dirty-dancing/

I was so sad to hear this. I only know him from Ellen, but he was an absolute pleasure to watch. So fun and full of life. This definitely shines a light on how someone can hide their inner turmoil. I was shocked, especially when I went down the rabbit hole and looked at his recent Instagram posts. He hid it so well … which is terribly tragic.

So so sad.

Although I’m sorry for the motel staff for the discovery, I’m thankful it wasn’t his kids or wife. My deepest sympathies to his family, they are truly living a nightmare.

RIP, tWitch. I hope you found your peace.

It's very sad news. I loved him on SYTYCD.

Speaking as a grief counselor and as an adult who was bereaved by suicide as a child, I do want to encourage everyone to reconsider the use of the word committed when it comes to suicide. Suicide continues to be highly stigmatized, leading to a lot of disenfranchised grief for those who lost someone in this manner. Use of the word committed perpetuates the idea of suicide being a crime. Twitch died by suicide.

I saw it this morning on the news as we were headed out to the parks and my daughter asked if he was the guy from Ellen. What an incredible surprise when I recognized the name and looked it up quickly. So sorry for his wife and those 3 kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter