Twelve hour drive...wwyd?

kkhworth

Mouseketeer
I will be driving the entire trip myself, as my Mom only drives in our little town.

I am debating on two options...

A~Drive to Valdosta, stay in a $50/$75 hotel, leaving the 3 1/2 hours left to drive early the next morning

B~Drive to Pop and get a good nights rest before starting our day bright and early at Magic Kingdom

I am leaning toward driving the whole way and getting settled in that first night. If the 12 hour drive was yours, which way would you do it?

I know I can drive it, as I have done it to Myrtle Beach and did fine so that is not an issue. Thoughts?

We drove it last time only stopping for food, my hubby drove the whole way and was fine, this trip we are flying since we have an infant whose limit of being good in the car is 6 hours!

I'd make the trip in one day. Leave very early, take plenty of rest breaks and get to Pop so you can relax.

We'd drive 12 hours to get to Disney in a heartbeat! Go straight there! We've twice driven from ME to VA, about 14-17 hours depending on traffic.

if i had a 12 hour drive i would drive straight there! if you know you can do it go for it!

I agree with Aristocath, Start early, take breaks, and take your time.
Disney will be there, just make sure you and yours get there too. :thumbsup2

I'd stop in Valdosta. I've done twelve hour drives to WDW, and made it fine, though pretty much beat by the time we finally arrived, and with the limited time left in the day we end up not really doing anything (maybe dinner in the resort, etc.).

Stopping somewhere around Valdosta (or Lake City) actually gives us more time in Walt Disney World. Here's the reasoning: Say you're spending 7 days in WDW; Driving all the way puts you there sometime in the evening, and returning home, you have to leave by late morning at least to make the drive all the way back in one day. By stopping 3-4 hours north of Orlando, you can be at your WDW Resort by noon (frequently your room will be ready, or shortly thereafter), not be too tired, and with plenty of time left in the day to enjoy yourself. On the day of departure, you can hang around until even late afternoon before heading home; I think the latest we've ever left WDW to head home was about 6 p.m. (reservations in Lake City)! Now, if by driving all the way on one day means you can spend an extra night (or two) at Pop, well that changes the equation completely, but otherwise, I'd stop (the Valdosta Country Inn is very nice; Econolodge at the same exit is surprisingly nice for an Econolodge).

And be sure to price the difference in your disney tickets...it gets cheaper the longer you stay. Adding an extra night or 2 probably won't be that much. For our trip adding one more day was $3, but our plane leaves at 9:30am so it didn't make sense to add it.

We were gonna leave home on Sat, drive to Valdosta, spend the night there, then drive to WDW Sun morning, only getting to spend maybe 2/3 of the day in the park.

By driving straight to WDW Sat, we will get to get settled into our room at Pop that night, and be able to get up bright and early Sunday morning, rather than losing at least 1/3 or 1/2 of that day before getting to MK.

I am taking the plunge and just driving straight thru. :goodvibes :banana:

I.CAN.DO.IT! :)

I will be driving the entire trip myself, as my Mom only drives in our little town.

I am debating on two options...

A~Drive to Valdosta, stay in a $50/$75 hotel, leaving the 3 1/2 hours left to drive early the next morning

B~Drive to Pop and get a good nights rest before starting our day bright and early at Magic Kingdom

I am leaning toward driving the whole way and getting settled in that first night. If the 12 hour drive was yours, which way would you do it?

I know I can drive it, as I have done it to Myrtle Beach and did fine so that is not an issue. Thoughts?

We are from Minor Hill TN ! We are driving in July 2nd getting a room and then straight there , check in and hitting the park if its early enough !

We're wimps! We drive from Va and stop around Savannah/brunswick. We have kids, so the 7 hrs of driving turns into about 8 or 8 1/2 with stops and all. The next day is only 5 hrs, so we arrive refreshed and ready to go!!

My husband does the whole drive from SC- he goes to bed very early the night before and we leave at 2am. It works for us. He loves driving at night. We've done it 4 times and now he has to be talked into flying.

When I've had to do long trips by myself I usually get a few "Books on Tape" to listen to - either from the library or off iTunes. Really helps the hours go by.

If you really think you can drive the full 12 hours and be able to get a good night's sleep and be ready to go to MK the next morning then I would do it.

I agree! I drive 18 hours - lots of stops, coffee, and maybe 1 longer stop to rest my eyes. I usually leave SNJ at 9p and I get there approx 4-5p the next day. We take it easy at the resort and get ready for the next day in the parks. :)

We live twelve hours away also and have driven (well, I drove) the full trip and also stopped halfway. I would definitely recommend stopping half way. Driving all the way thru by yourself is extremely fatiguing and you will basically be kissing away your first day (or two) away to recover. If you want to fully enjoy your first day, stop half way (or a little more) and arrive with energy to enjoy WDW.

Depending on where you are at in TN, you may not have a 12 hour drive anyway.

Our drive is around 14 from Lexington KY, we do straight through drives. The last few trips, I have driven myself without any problem.

Depending on where you are at in TN, you may not have a 12 hour drive anyway.

Our drive is around 14 from Lexington KY, we do straight through drives. The last few trips, I have driven myself without any problem.

After driving it before with the kids, since I will be driving during the day instead of at night while they are sleeping, it will take 12 hours I am sure after the bathroom breaks/ food/ etc. ;)

I am a little to the southeast of Nashville.

MapQuest clocks Nashville to WDW as a 10hr 56min. drive!

How about drive it straight through going and take the break on the way back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter