Turo?

lorenae

I'm going to Disney World!
Has anyone used Turo at WDW from the MCO airport? I like the idea- I think it must be like the airbnb of car rentals............but I'm concerned about having the car rental suddenly cancelled, which doesn't happen at Hertz. Has anyone has experiences with it, good or bad?

Haven't used it but one of my uber drivers last month said he'd bought a Tesla and when he got that was going to put the car we were in on it. I think it was a jetta, I forget. It was the first I'd heard of it.

I don't know that I'd be comfortable driving someone else's car as a rental. I'd really want to know how it all works and what my car insurance or credit card would cover, would the credit cards rental coverage even cover it etc.

There was a recent thread on this subject so might look for that discussion. I wouldn't be comfortable driving someone else's car along with the complications of whose insurance covers what in the event of an accident or the car happens to get stolen. Cars used as part of running a business need different insurance and wouldn't surprise me to find out some might cut corners and not have the proper coverage. Insurance probably will refuse to cover someone's car used as part of a business that didn't have the right coverage. Do you want to take that chance? Also the logistical issues of what happens if they don't show up at the airport at the date/time you previously agreed? When returning, the same question since if they don't show, you could miss your flight while waiting for them. Can also see you endlessly haggling over trivial 'wear/tear' issues. Just too many things that could go wrong.

I would never let strangers drive my personal vehicle, so not clear who might actually think this service is a good idea. Seems unlikely someone who can afford an expensive luxury car would rent it out for the few dollars they might make.

Last edited:
Haven't used Turo in the US, but we used it in Europe a couple of years ago, and it worked out great for us!

It was sooo much more affordable than going through a regular car rental place, plus we met some really nice folks when we went on a bit of an adventure to pick up the van in a non-touristy neighborhood outside of Munich.

For those concerned about insurance, Turo offers an opt-in plan. Back when we rented there were 3 different levels to choose from and it was through Liberty Mutual. We didn't need to file a claim so I have no feedback on that process, but the plans themselves are legit.

I would NEVER rent out my car for Turo.

Having said that, I have rented from Turro out of necessity (car broke down, had to buy a new one and needed to get to work) and it was cheaper and way more convenient than the rental car market right now. I do think it will take off if the rental car market continues to have low inventory and skyrocketing prices.

Due to covid, virtually all air travel shutdown in March/April last year creating a huge drop in demand for car rentals. In Orlando, there was a large fire that destroyed many rental cars that were being held at an off-site storage location. Rental companies also cut the size of their fleets across the country since it wasn't known how long there would be reduced travel and so many unknowns about covid. The chip shortage has also created challenges on vehicle availability.

However, to me those are all temporary problems that will be resolved as companies work their way out of these issues and more of the covid situation is behind us. As rental car companies start to balance supply/demand, I expect prices to also stabilize, reducing the desirability of these non-standard rental options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter