TSM standby-less test Oct. 6-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they're not testing adding a FP+ only track...maybe they're testing adding a SB-only track, and the existing tracks will be FP+ only. If a third track was put where Wandering Oaken's was formerly located, then it would be easy to reconfigure the SB queue to spit people out that way without an extended closure.

I'm sorry, but this testing for a third track is not passing the sniff test. In my opinion this is a smoke screen. This same testing has occurred at the MK and Epcot. NO, this is for something much bigger than a third track. They have years of data showing they need a third track and there's no reason to test like this until a third track was actually built.

I would also think that making that announcement would have a minimal enough impact on the crowd at DHS that it wouldn't affect the test.

It might not alter the overall crowd at HS a great deal, but it certainly would've affected how people approached riding TSMM. If a test had been announced, especially saying it was going to be fp+ only, you can bank on people flooding to mde to book fp+'s.

If they wanted to run a test with the natural ebb and flow of that ride, announcing it would completely destroy that.

Not saying it isn't a pain, it is. But I'm going to lean towards believing it was a necessary evil, and that they conducted it at a time that would affect as few guests as possible. They're the experts, with a pretty good track record. I'm not knowledgeable in this area and neither is anyone else here that I know of. As I've said before, they don't intentionally inconvenience guests for no reason.

It might not alter the overall crowd at HS a great deal, but it certainly would've affected how people approached riding TSMM. If a test had been announced, especially saying it was going to be fp+ only, you can bank on people flooding to mde to book fp+'s.

If they wanted to run a test with the natural ebb and flow of that ride, announcing it would completely destroy that.

I think just the opposite. If they are testing how it would be if FP+ only, then they absolutely should gave announced it. Think about it.

Disney is rarely honest about why they do things, though, so we can only have fun speculating.

Definitely should have made an announcement ahead of time. I can only imagine the abuse these poor CMs have been getting and will be seeing during the week when they're told they can't get in line for TSMM since they didn't book their FP+ months in advance :O

I'm sorry, but this testing for a third track is not passing the sniff test. In my opinion this is a smoke screen. This same testing has occurred at the MK and Epcot. NO, this is for something much bigger than a third track. They have years of data showing they need a third track and there's no reason to test like this until a third track was actually built.

Agree. This is just not going away.
We had the oops with the Pooh FP only in MDE in Epcot
Anna and Elsa return cards
Anna and Elsa FP only via kiosks
Soarin
A&E is FP only in CA
They change all of the text in MDE, for ALL FP rides, from "Standby available" to FPs out for the day.

I think just the opposite. If they are testing how it would be if FP+ only, then they absolutely should gave announced it. Think about it.

Disney is rarely honest about why they do things, though, so we can only have fun speculating.

Maybe that's not what they were testing for. No one knows why they ran the tests.

I wouldn't say they aren't honest, secretive is more like it.

Then why did WDW spend $1B+ on MM+? Why did they "need" it?

Again, my point is that WDW knew they had to do something and the something they did is probably turning out to be not the best choice.

And yes, people complain. Just look at today's WDW Facebook page.

The only reason some things ever change is because people complained.

I wonder how many people would be complaining about $1B+ of new attractions...

The excitement and anticipation party would still be going full force on these boards.

Come on...did they REALLY need a "test" to see if ADDING CAPACITY to the ride (via an additional ride track) would lessen the wait times??
The question could be how does increasing the capacity of FP+'s in the absence of a SB line affect Wait Times in the FP return line. IF FP+'s were handed out for 100% of capacity you could predict an average wait of 30 minutes but it could be as high as an hour. The question is as you drop that percentage how quickly does the expected wait time drop. You can see from the post above your the FP return line is getting pretty long.
I am standing in the FP+ line now -- been inside for 15 minutes and we aren't even close... It's the longest FP line I have ever stood in! Most people are not too happy.

I think most of us agree given the current mix of attractions (or lack there of) a third track for TSMM (or more rides in general) are needed. What several of us are hypothesizing is that this test may be to explore running 2 distinct TSMM's. The current one for FP+ and a new one for SB in Soundstage 1. Or is a demolition of the current queue in order (and possibly the beginning of the ride) so both the SB line and FP+ line can easy access to all three tracks. The first solution could require minimal downtime of the current ride and is what we think the current test may be looking at in terms of feasibility of running a FP+ only side. The other solution could require a lengthy refurbishment to the current ride when it is closed in a theme park that's already down on rides.

According to Allearsnet, the FP+ only test has been expanded to the Be Our Guest restaurant at MK:

UPDATED: (10/8 4;25pm Eastern) This is a test by Disney. Resort guests are given priority for the lunch FPs to Be Our Guest. These are NOT part of your regular 3 Fast Pass+ for attractions/rides. Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom is currently only accepting FP+ reservations for lunch. They are not accepting walkups until further notice. However, that doesn't mean you can't try in person. Right now further notice means until the end of October. Just like anything else, Disney can modify or change the policy at any time depending on capacity.

According to Allearsnet, the FP+ only test has been expanded to the Be Our Guest restaurant at MK:

I'm not so sure this can be linked to the fp+ test for rides.

There aren't many restaurants at WDW that are available for walk ups. In the 2 trips we've made since they started allowing fp+ for resort guests, it's been closed to walk ups before noon anyway. It's an extremely popular restaurant and the time we went before they allowed fp+, the line was huge long before 11 am.

The only thing I find surprising is that with no walk ups, they haven't extended fp+ to all guests. It's definitely going to increase the popularity of the fp+ reservation- people just love exclusivity.

I haven't encountered that since FP+ so no real experience.

I've read some accounts that they're given an anytime fp for another ride, some have said they got to return anytime using their original fp+.

We were there in June and had FP for 7DMT. It broke down for our time frame so we were credited on MDE to do an anytime FP for a list of headliners in MK.

We were at DHS yesterday.
We had gone to EMH there on Sunday evening, expecting to ride TSM a few times. It was broken down basically all of EMH, every time we checked. I don't know why.
So I told the kids, if we get up early today and make rope drop, we will be able to ride TSMM at least once, probably twice, and then we have FP for around noon....

We did miss rope drop thanks to missing a bus, but still got there well before ten. The park was not crowded and we were denied SB, of course. But told we could come back during our FP time. Or, cancel ALL of our FP to try for an earlier one. I was speaking with one of the manager types and trying to wrap my head around this.

I did all of my homework. I spent HOURS trying to understand the FP system, booking my rides sixty days out, staying on property for seven nights to make sure we could get it all done. What in the wide world of sports have you done? My kids think I lied to them, that I tricked them into waking up at the crack of dawn to come over here and now the one stupid ride they want to ride in your whole stupid park, we can't ride it?

I made the cast member talk to my kids. No way will I be the bad guy when this is not my decision. My nine year old called him out when he started to explain this was a test. "You didn't tell us you were testing anyone. It's like you're changing the rules in the middle of the game. That's not fair."

And that's the bottom line. IT IS NOT FAIR. Yeah, I'm whining like a nine year old. If you don't want people waiting in line, plan that out ahead of time. Warn us that we are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation to play guinea pig for you.

I was punished because I played by their rules. I scheduled FP, and would have had to release them and risk the rest of my day there to ride that one stupid ride.

Did it ruin our whole vacation? No. Of course not. We are having lots of fun.

But, man, I love Disney world. It should be more than fun. When I was a little kid in Jacksonville, before Epcot was born, I wanted to be Cinderella in the MSEP when I grew up. It's one of those places that sings to me. And you made my kids sad, and they don't trust you anymore. All afternoon yesterday and this morning, when were on our way to ohana. "Is Mickey still at ohana? What if he's not? What if that changed and they didn't tell you? What if they do another test tonight and we don't see Belle?"

I'm not sure this place will sing to them like it sings to me. And that is sad.

The worst part is they did nothing. The cast member said he couldn't help us, or he'd just have to give extra FP to everyone. To which I replied, yeah, or you could just let us WAIT IN LINE which is what we were expecting to do. They did offer to put the day back on our tickets if we wanted to leave. Which meant nothing because we have park hoppers. It was a really bad experience. And when our window did open, walking back through their cadre of CMS shouting, "fast pass only!" Did not help. We got to ride once, then the FP were (allegedly) done for the day.

We spent eight total hours in DHS. Between the EMH and yesterday. Rode TSMM once. ONCE. That stinks. We were supposed to do another half day at DHS before we go, and the kids have already said they won't go back. They love Star Tours but we've ridden it nine times already. What else is there for them? RNRC and ToT are too much for them, they are too old for the Disney Jr junk. You have a barn full of snow. We live in COLORADO. Not interested.

I hate that we got stuck here during this time. We will absolutely not come back until they figure out how to make this system work for their guests, and not just their pocket books.

Please, please send this to WDW in an email and please post this on their FB page!!!!!!!!

That's already how it works for many restaurants, and no one seems to mind too much.

That's because I don't pay for my meal before I book a reservation.

Joshua put the exact answer I was going to post when I quote this. I paid to enter this park, I did not pay to enter the restaurant.

Installment #3

(Intallment #1: Post 361 on page 25
Installment #2: Post 647 on page 44)

We were at DHS yesterday.
We had gone to EMH there on Sunday evening, expecting to ride TSM a few times. It was broken down basically all of EMH, every time we checked. I don't know why.
So I told the kids, if we get up early today and make rope drop, we will be able to ride TSMM at least once, probably twice, and then we have FP for around noon....

We did miss rope drop thanks to missing a bus, but still got there well before ten. The park was not crowded and we were denied SB, of course. But told we could come back during our FP time. Or, cancel ALL of our FP to try for an earlier one. I was speaking with one of the manager types and trying to wrap my head around this.

I did all of my homework. I spent HOURS trying to understand the FP system, booking my rides sixty days out, staying on property for seven nights to make sure we could get it all done. What in the wide world of sports have you done? My kids think I lied to them, that I tricked them into waking up at the crack of dawn to come over here and now the one stupid ride they want to ride in your whole stupid park, we can't ride it?

I made the cast member talk to my kids. No way will I be the bad guy when this is not my decision. My nine year old called him out when he started to explain this was a test. "You didn't tell us you were testing anyone. It's like you're changing the rules in the middle of the game. That's not fair."

And that's the bottom line. IT IS NOT FAIR. Yeah, I'm whining like a nine year old. If you don't want people waiting in line, plan that out ahead of time. Warn us that we are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation to play guinea pig for you.

I was punished because I played by their rules. I scheduled FP, and would have had to release them and risk the rest of my day there to ride that one stupid ride.

Did it ruin our whole vacation? No. Of course not. We are having lots of fun.

But, man, I love Disney world. It should be more than fun. When I was a little kid in Jacksonville, before Epcot was born, I wanted to be Cinderella in the MSEP when I grew up. It's one of those places that sings to me. And you made my kids sad, and they don't trust you anymore. All afternoon yesterday and this morning, when were on our way to ohana. "Is Mickey still at ohana? What if he's not? What if that changed and they didn't tell you? What if they do another test tonight and we don't see Belle?"

I'm not sure this place will sing to them like it sings to me. And that is sad.

The worst part is they did nothing. The cast member said he couldn't help us, or he'd just have to give extra FP to everyone. To which I replied, yeah, or you could just let us WAIT IN LINE which is what we were expecting to do. They did offer to put the day back on our tickets if we wanted to leave. Which meant nothing because we have park hoppers. It was a really bad experience. And when our window did open, walking back through their cadre of CMS shouting, "fast pass only!" Did not help. We got to ride once, then the FP were (allegedly) done for the day.

We spent eight total hours in DHS. Between the EMH and yesterday. Rode TSMM once. ONCE. That stinks. We were supposed to do another half day at DHS before we go, and the kids have already said they won't go back. They love Star Tours but we've ridden it nine times already. What else is there for them? RNRC and ToT are too much for them, they are too old for the Disney Jr junk. You have a barn full of snow. We live in COLORADO. Not interested.

I hate that we got stuck here during this time. We will absolutely not come back until they figure out how to make this system work for their guests, and not just their pocket books.

DD was just in line (reserved TSM FP+ this am from offsite-loved that as she never gets up early) BUT

Just went down for technical dif-she sent me the video of them explaining that, anyway the line was growing quickly. Just after filming she did say a guy got super pissed he could not wait SB-mad she missed filming it.

Anyway-will see what else she can observe.

I am standing in the FP+ line now -- been inside for 15 minutes and we aren't even close... It's the longest FP line I have ever stood in! Most people are not too happy.

DD was just through but it was only 20 minutes-it was down a long time so expect many folks to be returning.

FYI-she had a sneaking suspicion they went down on purpose to see what would happen and how long to catch up etc-but I have not asked her why she thinks that.

FYI DD did say everything was available for a 4th including TSM at 5:30ish-took Fantasmic though-Kiosk but not the app.

We ended up waiting 35 minutes to load the ride only to have 2 screens not work during the ride.

If they can successfully transition people to a FP+ only mentality for most of the rides with as little pushback as possible, they can then truly lock people into their vacations, like schedules on a cruise ship.
I don't understand why they would want to do this. Maybe they are trying to discourage day visitors and have resort only visitors? We are going oct 27 for the week and cannot fastpass anything because two of the three of us are not buying tickets till we get there.

This is precisely what I think they are testing. It makes no sense to test IF they need additional capacity for this ride. They DO! But if the rumored third track is to be used only for FPs, they need to ensure they balance the number/times of the FPs to ensure no wasted capacity (which many reported seeing during this test).

I disagree vehemently with the way in which they're going about executing the testing. But the test itself does make sense. Think about the complaints we've seen here about PotC boats leaving half full while there is a long line for SB. That's what can happen if one track is dedicated to FP+. With PotC, they have sometimes diverted SB guests to the other side to remedy the unbalanced lines. But if the FP+ line and third track are not accessible from the SB line, that won't be an option. So they are going to want the line being just long enough to ensure vehicles are getting filled without backing the line up too much or else there will be complaints that FP is not fast enough.

One possible positive outcome: A dedicated third track to handle all FP+ guests would mean that SB guests would not experiences "pauses" in the progress of the line as FP+ guests are let in. So this would not only increase capacity, it could make the lines more efficient for all.

The ends don't justify the means, but hopefully there is a silver lining in the long run.

This. I think I like the idea of dedicated tracks/theatres if they can figure out how not to throw rides away on one side and not build a line on the other. Seems like the question becomes, do you split the current ride capacity or add capacity and split it. I doubt it's a one size fits all but it seems like the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter