TSA PreCheck, questions

I almost always get TSA pre-check, and I have never signed up.

We always get it too, and we never paid a dime or filled out a single form. We were both in our late 50s at the time it first started about ten years ago, so it wasn't our age. We figured it might have something to do with our former security clearances, TS/SCI.

If you have zero plans for international travel in the next couple of years, I don't see any reason to apply for global entry.
I applied for global entry primarily to get pre-check. My credit card paid for global entry but not pre-check.

I used CLEAR pass for years before the TSA-pre existed. My company paid for my passes.

There was never a line for CLEAR.

Everything is available to Homeland Security. There are a number of people on FlyerTalk and elsewhere that have had the same issue. The issue is that the conditional approval comes through, the interviewer asks if you've ever been arrested, you say no based on advice from counsel when that court case took place, now you've lied to a federal employee and shown you don't deserve the public trust of GE.
TBH, I wasn't asked any questions at my interview. I simply presented my documentation, took a pic, and scanned my fingerprints.

Secondly, I'm not sure how much trust I would place in a) an online blog, or b) how much attention I would pay to "advice from counsel" from when I was a pre-teen! Whatever the CBP asked me, I would just answer honestly.

I don't really think they are going to pay much attention to an "arrest" (it's not even called an arrest for a juvenile in Florida; it's called a "detention") when you were 12 -- unless it was murder, armed robbery, hijacking an airplane, etc.

Easy process. Worth the minor effort and expense. Makes life easier thru TSA Safe travels.

I thought that at first but the last 3 times I got "randomly selected" for a pat down. Now I cannot trust that I won't be selected and it takes the fun out of it.:mad:

I don't think this will help you, but.,,,................................
We only fly once or twice a year, and one time we saw the tsa precheck on the corner of our tickets. We didn't know what it was? We asked at the ticket desk, and she said we were on the tsaprecheck list and told us about the precheck line, no shoes removed, etc.
We were very surprised, to say the least, LOL.
We did not apply for it, did not even know about it.
We are not famous, rich, or government officials. We are just senior citizens. I wonder if we got the tsaprecheck for free because of our ages???? still don't know why, but am happy to have it.

It has happened to us before as well (before we bought TSA Precheck). I think it is just random. We love TSA precheck. Love Global Entry also.

MJ

WE have pre-check. We were randomly given it & decided to not risk it & go ahead and pay for it. Haven’t used it much, but def worth it

If you can, spring for the extra few dollars and get Global Entry. Travel plans can change over the next few years and you may find yourself travelling internationally. If so, you may be glad that you have GE when trying to return to the US. My experience, I decided to apply for GE after spending 2 hours on line at JFK waiting to get through customs after a late flight. Since GE I'm through customs and waiting for my bags before they're even off of the plane.
Pre Check has also been a pleasure and has been the only way that I have made connections at airports like Washington DC where they have security at each section and a tight connection time (so you land in section A but your connection is taking off from a gate in section C).
I did have Clear for a year but so few airports that I flew through had it that I never bothered to renew it.

If you can, spring for the extra few dollars and get Global Entry.

I applied for GE on Saturday and received a pop-up suggesting that if I don't have international travel plans in the next 6 months that I might want to opt for PreCheck instead of GE. Um, thanks federal government, but I think I'm grown up enough to know my travel plans and preferences for the next five years! Why in the world would they try to discourage people from getting GE? I understand that there are lots of Americans who will never obtain a passport and travel internationally. Yes, PreCheck is for them. But for a mere $15 more, and I know I will be traveling abroad in the next five years, I'll take GE any day! I just found the pop-up message very strange. No thanks, Uncle Sam.

For anyone looking to apply, definitely check out if one of your top tier credit cards covers the fee for either service. That benefit is typically just for the cardholder. Then it's a no-brainer, as using that card for the fee will immediately credit back the purchase. We are one tier short on two of our cards, so I decided that each billing cycle moving forward one of us will apply for GE. That way the cost is a bit more spread out for the four of us. Same way I kind of spread out our passport renewal dates!

For anyone looking to apply, definitely check out if one of your top tier credit cards covers the fee for either service. That benefit is typically just for the cardholder. Then it's a no-brainer, as using that card for the fee will immediately credit back the purchase. We are one tier short on two of our cards, so I decided that each billing cycle moving forward one of us will apply for GE. That way the cost is a bit more spread out for the four of us. Same way I kind of spread out our passport renewal dates!
If you have it, Navy Federal Credit Union's Flagship Rewards card covers not only the cardholder but all Authorized Users as well for a $49 Annual Fee.

If you have it, Navy Federal Credit Union's Flagship Rewards card covers not only the cardholder but all Authorized Users as well for a $49 Annual Fee.

That is a sweet deal!
I received my conditional approval last night and scheduled my interview for August 4. My not leading a life of crime paid off quickly there!

That is a sweet deal!
I received my conditional approval last night and scheduled my interview for August 4. My not leading a life of crime paid off quickly there!
Get the interview done quickly before they catch up to you!

I just applied for GE a couple days ago and got my conditional approval yesterday. My location has appointments available as early as mid-March! Considering the waits I've heard of people having, I was shocked.

Get the interview done quickly before they catch up to you!

Good call Jim!

I just applied for GE a couple days ago and got my conditional approval yesterday. My location has appointments available as early as mid-March! Considering the waits I've heard of people having, I was shocked.

That's great! I swear when I checked Denver last week there were appointments in March. Then when I go to schedule, it's August. I'll keep checking back and will move it up if I can as I hear that availability can fluctuate wildly!

By the way, how was your interview @rs1228 ?

My husband got it before the rest of us and they habitually allowed one of our minor children to accompany him at no cost, we all have it now though.
How old were the kids at that time? Was Pre on their boarding pass? Policy is that kids under 12 can go through with a parent/guardian that has Pre. It used to be that if anyone in the reservation had Pre, everyone was likely to get it. I don't know if that is still the case or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter