• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TSA Precheck heads-up--be prepared

I'm just looking into getting this now. Does anyone know how it works when traveling with a teenager? Do I put my KTN on her boarding pass too? She will be 15 at time of travel, and does not have a driver's license yet.

I'm just looking into getting this now. Does anyone know how it works when traveling with a teenager? Do I put my KTN on her boarding pass too? She will be 15 at time of travel, and does not have a driver's license yet.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/do-children-need-apply

Do children need to apply?​

It depends on their age and whether they are traveling with a parent or guardian with TSA PreCheck®. Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass can join them in the TSA PreCheck® lanes without applying. Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass. Children 13 to 17 may be randomly excluded from receiving TSA PreCheck® on their boarding pass. In these cases, they must go through standard security screening. Children 17 and under who will be traveling alone or without a TSA PreCheck®-eligible parent or guardian must apply for TSA PreCheck® to have access to expedited screening.

Bolded and italicized the more pertinent part for your question.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/do-children-need-apply

Do children need to apply?​

It depends on their age and whether they are traveling with a parent or guardian with TSA PreCheck®. Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass can join them in the TSA PreCheck® lanes without applying. Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass. Children 13 to 17 may be randomly excluded from receiving TSA PreCheck® on their boarding pass. In these cases, they must go through standard security screening. Children 17 and under who will be traveling alone or without a TSA PreCheck®-eligible parent or guardian must apply for TSA PreCheck® to have access to expedited screening.

Bolded and italicized the more pertinent part for your question.
Thank you. I read the same on the TSA website, however, it's unclear for her age 15 how she gets the TSA PreCheck indicator on her boarding pass.

Thank you. I read the same on the TSA website, however, it's unclear for her age 15 how she gets the TSA PreCheck indicator on her boarding pass.
Unless she has Precheck herself, it's 50/50 whether she'll get it. For the best chance she needs to enroll in the program. You may need to go to your state and get her a state ID card in order for that to happen.

If you have it, it's possible she gets it with nothing in the KTN field of her reservation. But not a guarantee or even necessarily probable.

Unless she has Precheck herself, it's 50/50 whether she'll get it. For the best chance she needs to enroll in the program. You may need to go to your state and get her a state ID card in order for that to happen.

If you have it, it's possible she gets it with nothing in the KTN field of her reservation. But not a guarantee or even necessarily probable.

I agree, get your teen a state ID. Our son got his when he was 5 years old and renewal is a breeze.

As others have said, if you want to guarantee she can use Pre-check, she needs her own KTN. At 15, it’s hit or miss. If she doesn’t end up being able to ”qualify” under yours, you can go through the regular security line with her. I’ve traveled when my 14 year old nephew (traveling with his mother who has pre-check and me, also with pre-check and all on the same reservation) didn’t get it. We all went through the regular security line. He now has his own KTN.

I would just get her own KTN. In order to get pre-check you need a state ID which shouldn't be a problem @ 15.

I got state ID's for my kids at ages 13 and 15 and then got TSA pre for them both. It was fairly easy but did cause a little bit of an issue when my oldest one went to get her driver's license. It wasn't a huge deal and wouldn't have been an issue if she hadn't waited until she was 18 to get her license.

It's not the agents I'm concerned about... it's the computer that puts "TSA-Pre" on the BP.
And (when I was the one checking in, making sure to enter the KTN if it didn't show precheck the first time) my then-husband always got precheck and was fine using GE, even when his name was mangled.

Either:
She'll get it because she's on your reservation and you have precheck on your boarding pass
OR
She won't, and you can go through normal security together or she can go through normal and you go through precheck with the complicated carryons. This is what my son preferred when he didn't get it after his NEXUS ran out, even when younger.

Or you can pay for it for her. She'll need ID to get it. It's also included in Global Entry and NEXUS, if she has a passport and you wish to do one of those.

If you don’t see TSA-Pre on your Boarding Pass and you purchased the program DM your airline on Twitter about it. Almost all the time it’s a glitch and you do qualify. They can often get the number hooked up and save you hassle at the airport.

If the airline says your KTN is attached and it still doesn’t show on your BP DM AskTSA on Twitter (or I see they offer a text number now too, I won’t post it but you can find it on their Twitter top post). They have an excellent social media assistance team. They will make sure it isn’t glitching on their end.

I had a similar problem once with American. I didn't have PreCheck on my mobile pass, and I noticed it while checking my bag. I added my KTN to the app, refreshed the pass, and it was there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter