• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TSA precheck... Anyone turned down?

just curious to see if anyone who has been approved for pre-tsa check in....if you've had issues using it for an existing reservation? or maybe not having it print on your boarding pass?

The only issue I had, and it was my own mistake, is that when I went into Southwest to enter my KTN it didn't automatically apply it to the reservation I already had in place, while some of the other airlines do. I flew down on AA who automatically added it to my existing flight. When I went to check my luggage at the resort on the day I was coming home from Orlando on SW, I noticed TSA precheck was not on my ticket. I googled on my iPhone, found out what the issue was and called SW right then, who immediately added it to my current reservation and resent me the ticket by text so I could use it at the airport. Again, it was my own fault as I should have researched that before I left on my trip.

This should not happen on future flights I reserve since my KTN number is now in my profile for the airlines I fly. It ONLY happened on SW because I did not obtain my KTN number until after I had reserved the flight.

Last edited:
bringing this thread back to life....

DH and I enrolled online the other week and went in for the interview this past Saturday, 2/4. I just checked online today, 2/6, for status and like riduvall, i have the Eligibility Determined status now along with the note that a letter will be sent out in 10 days. I'm hoping for an email or an update in the next few days (but boy, am i impatient! LOL).

just curious to see if anyone who has been approved for pre-tsa check in....if you've had issues using it for an existing reservation? or maybe not having it print on your boarding pass?
I've had a few issues, but I've had precheck for 2 years now! I can't really use it at Worcester because they don't have a precheck line!!! They do look at the boarding pass, and put exempt or something on it. Then I don't have to take off my shoes. But stuff has to come out of my bag! Then, when I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando last week, I flew Silver Airways...part of United. As I walked away from the counter, and to security, I noticed that the TSA Precheck wasn't on the bp. It wasn't an issue since it was so early in the morning...about 5:15 am!!! There was no line at security. It was probably my own fault...I most likely didn't enter my number when I made the reservation...so I can't really blame Silver.

I've had a few issues, but I've had precheck for 2 years now! I can't really use it at Worcester because they don't have a precheck line!!! They do look at the boarding pass, and put exempt or something on it. Then I don't have to take off my shoes. But stuff has to come out of my bag! Then, when I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando last week, I flew Silver Airways...part of United. As I walked away from the counter, and to security, I noticed that the TSA Precheck wasn't on the bp. It wasn't an issue since it was so early in the morning...about 5:15 am!!! There was no line at security. It was probably my own fault...I most likely didn't enter my number when I made the reservation...so I can't really blame Silver.
We do have this issue from our home airport. There are 5 gates and never a line at security so it doesn't matter. When we check in we are given orange cards that let us leave our shoes on. Otherwise, 3-3-1 bag comes out etc. Our boarding passes still show TSAPrecheck though. Otherwise, we would have to remove shoes. Just that there isn't any need for another line

does your name on the airline reservation have to match exactly the name provided during TSA pre-check in enrollment (assuming you are accepted)? e.g., do i have to always include my middle name on airline reservations now? i swear i read somewhere if the names don't exactly match, even with your KTN entered, you may not have Pre TSA check-in indicated on your boarding pass?

I've had a few issues, but I've had precheck for 2 years now! I can't really use it at Worcester because they don't have a precheck line!!! They do look at the boarding pass, and put exempt or something on it. Then I don't have to take off my shoes. But stuff has to come out of my bag!

First off goofy4tink wanted to thank you for something you have no idea you even helped with yesterday. My sister was looking to book flights for Disney yesterday out of PVD on Jet Blue and they were even more expensive then flights from Boston by around $75pp going down. Then I saw your post about Worcester on the JB thread, They are pretty much equal distance from both airports. The flights from Worcester to MCO are over $100pp less and the flights back are about $35pp less. In the end they are saving about $550 total!!! To top it off the flight times are better for them out of Worcester.
So a BIG thank you for that. :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

She was asking me about pre-check and I was telling her that I doubted that Worcester even had it and with so few flights anyway it might not be worth the price for her as they fly so little anyway. Though Orlando can be a different story.

First off goofy4tink wanted to thank you for something you have no idea you even helped with yesterday. My sister was looking to book flights for Disney yesterday out of PVD on Jet Blue and they were even more expensive then flights from Boston by around $75pp going down. Then I saw your post about Worcester on the JB thread, They are pretty much equal distance from both airports. The flights from Worcester to MCO are over $100pp less and the flights back are about $35pp less. In the end they are saving about $550 total!!! To top it off the flight times are better for them out of Worcester.

She was asking me about pre-check and I was telling her that I doubted that Worcester even had it and with so few flights anyway it might not be worth the price for her as they fly so little anyway. Though Orlando can be a different story.

If you want to check on whether an airport/airline has Pre-Check, you can look here - https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map

does your name on the airline reservation have to match exactly the name provided during TSA pre-check in enrollment (assuming you are accepted)? e.g., do i have to always include my middle name on airline reservations now? i swear i read somewhere if the names don't exactly match, even with your KTN entered, you may not have Pre TSA check-in indicated on your boarding pass?

All the FAQ's are here. https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/faq

How should I fill out my name on my application?

The name on your application must be an exact match to the name on the identification and proof of citizenship/immigration documents you provide at enrollment. The name provided must be the name used when making your airline travel reservations.

If you have made a reservation before you got approved for pre-check and say you listed your name as Sally Jones on the ticket but your pre-check application has you as Sally Ann Jones you can call the airline and have your middle name added to your reservation when you give them your KTN. It might not show up on your reservation that you can see but it can be attached to it. That happened with my wife and we had no issues when we printed out the boarding pass.

If you want to check on whether an airport/airline has Pre-Check, you can look here - https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map
That map is not really accurate.
Our airport is shown on the map. Still doesn't have a Pre-Check lane
And ours only shows 1 airline as participating. Which makes no sense. We never fly that airline yet our boarding passes always have PreCheck on them, and we get the magic, you can keep your shoes on card
So I'm not sure what that map really signifies

That map is not really accurate.
Our airport is shown on the map. Still doesn't have a Pre-Check lane
And ours only shows 1 airline as participating. Which makes no sense. We never fly that airline yet our boarding passes always have PreCheck on them, and we get the magic, you can keep your shoes on card
So I'm not sure what that map really signifies

According to the TSA FAQ's:

If TSA Pre✓® is not available at my airport, why was TSA Pre✓® printed on my boarding pass?

Travelers are vetted for TSA Pre✓® every time they fly. TSA and airlines do not limit printing of the TSA Pre✓® indicator to participating airports.

If TSA Pre✓® is not available at my airport, why was TSA Pre✓® printed on my boarding pass?

Travelers are vetted for TSA Pre✓® every time they fly. TSA and airlines do not limit printing of the TSA Pre✓® indicator to participating airports.

But I don't think that's what Angi is saying/asking.

"Our airport is shown on the map. Still doesn't have a Pre-Check lane
And ours only shows 1 airline as participating. Which makes no sense. We never fly that airline yet"

It's shown as participating on the map, but it doesn't.

It says that one specific airline participates, but they get it on their boarding passes with OTHER airlines.

Those are different issues than "why is it on the pass when it's not at the airport". To me at least. :)

If your ID shows the middle, why not just include it? I would probably go through all my airline frequent flyer accounts and update them so you never have to worry about it.

does your name on the airline reservation have to match exactly the name provided during TSA pre-check in enrollment (assuming you are accepted)?

1) Exact.
2) When you apply, you WILL to supply these to TSA info (from passport, birth cert, etc).
3) You need to use the exact TSA name on any reservation/ticket.

NOTE: I had to go back to all my airline programs and change my initial to my full middle name.

But I don't think that's what Angi is saying/asking.

"Our airport is shown on the map. Still doesn't have a Pre-Check lane
And ours only shows 1 airline as participating. Which makes no sense. We never fly that airline yet"

It's shown as participating on the map, but it doesn't.

It says that one specific airline participates, but they get it on their boarding passes with OTHER airlines.

Those are different issues than "why is it on the pass when it's not at the airport". To me at least. :)
Right.
Despite what is shown on that map our airport has no TSA PreCheck lane. We have 1 security lane. Period. Those with TSA PreCheck are given a card that allows us to leave our shoes on. That is the entirety of the PreCheck program in our airport. Which I guess technically is correct. Only worth pointing out that just having your airport on the list doesn't mean it has a PreCheck lane like say, MCO does.
And we have access to that process no matter what airline we fly, not the one on the list.
What I'm saying is, that list is both incomplete and inaccurate.

That's terrific! We're about 45 mins from Logan, 60 mins from PVD, and 30 from Worc! I love flying out of Worc....parking is cheap, it's fairly easy to get to (just don't come or go when school buses are out!!), bags don't take forever to come out! Food options are pretty sucky though! I'll be curious to see how they like it.

I am considering getting this.... but I get the feeling the effort and time to get this will negate any time saved standing in the security line..... we have to travel to the next state to even get to a center.....

I am considering getting this.... but I get the feeling the effort and time to get this will negate any time saved standing in the security line..... we have to travel to the next state to even get to a center.....
That does make a difference. Otherwise, the actual sign up process is super easy and quick. Took all 3 of us 2 min each to get it done. Someone many people do is plan to sign up when they are at an airport for a flight and use it the next time

Depends on how many flights you generally take.

Heck ds and I just got NEXUS. A month for them to ponder our applications and then we drove almost up to canada to do the interviews. (Could have driven just half an hour to Boeing field but their interviews were in May vs January up in Blaine)

But it was $50 for me and free for Ds and it gives us nexus lanes in Canada, global entry, and prechek. It's for 5 years but they did 5 years from our birthdays *this* year (May and October). :)

My point was that we made a fun day trip of it.

Depends on how many flights you generally take.

Heck ds and I just got NEXUS. A month for them to ponder our applications and then we drove almost up to canada to do the interviews. (Could have driven just half an hour to Boeing field but their interviews were in May vs January up in Blaine)

But it was $50 for me and free for Ds and it gives us nexus lanes in Canada, global entry, and prechek. It's for 5 years but they did 5 years from our birthdays *this* year (May and October). :)

My point was that we made a fun day trip of it.

I think Global Entry was $15 more than TSA Pre-check but was not available at our airport. We would have had to travel at least 200 miles (one-way) to get it. We opted for TSA Pre-check which was easy but shortly afterwards, Global Entry interviews were set up at our local airport.:crazy2: Global Entry includes TSA Pre-check and I travel out of the country several times each year so I would gladly pay $15 more for it but I was not going to travel that far to do it.

We opted for TSA Pre-check which was easy but shortly afterwards, Global Entry interviews were set up at our local airport.:crazy2:

That's super-frustrating. :)

Next time you think about it, consider nexus. Harder to get (takes more time and the places for interviews are fewer) but it's cheaper and you get everything. Like Angi hinted at, apply when you have a trip through an interview area a couple months later...when your application is approved you just have to do the scheduling within a certain amount of time, but the interview can be scheduled FOR months out. Two birds and one stone.

When DH was applying for GE (because he didn't believe me that nexus would give him everything and be cheaper) he nearly scheduled his interview during a layover in Amsterdam. :)

bringing this thread back to life....

DH and I enrolled online the other week and went in for the interview this past Saturday, 2/4. I just checked online today, 2/6, for status and like riduvall, i have the Eligibility Determined status now along with the note that a letter will be sent out in 10 days. I'm hoping for an email or an update in the next few days (but boy, am i impatient! LOL).

thoguht i'd share my experience. so DH and i went in for our interview on Saturday, 2/4. the guy at the center said we should have an update online at the earliest by tuesday, 2/7. i went back online yesterday (2/7) and there it was! my KTN! YAHOOOO! i checked DH's status, too.....and his KTN was there as well. the status remained as "Eligibility Determined".

i've updated my profile on alaska airlines to include my middle name and input my KTN. i've also called jetblue to add my KTN and update our names as well to include our middle names. heading to DL next month and hoping we see that "pre tsa" printed out on our boarding pass. it'll make life soooo much easier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter