TSA Pre-check

jl

Mouseketeer
We just applied online for this. Filled out application & have appointments within the next 10 days @ an actual office/building. We have to take our passports. Anyone done this? Does this part take very long? And how long is the "approval" for, i.e., like 10 years for passport? Thanks -

We just applied online for this. Filled out application & have appointments within the next 10 days @ an actual office/building. We have to take our passports. Anyone done this? Does this part take very long? And how long is the "approval" for, i.e., like 10 years for passport? Thanks -

I did this a few months ago. The interview takes about 10 min and I got my KTN within two days. The approval is good for 5 years.

Last edited:
You'll get a "code" that lets you check on line to see if your KTN is there. Mine was also there in about 2 days. A letter comes about a week later. The interview is really nothing, they have all the info you filled out on the application. It's mainly getting your fingerprints.

I did this a few months ago. The interview takes about 10 min and I got my KTK within two days. The approval is good for 5 years.

Awesome on how quick this works. We're doing it next week and was hoping to have it for the trip in late April.

I don't travel frequently, but the last 2-3 times, I had TSA-Pre on my boarding passes without applying for anything. Is this something different?

I don't travel frequently, but the last 2-3 times, I had TSA-Pre on my boarding passes without applying for anything. Is this something different?
There was a program where they would randomly assign TSA precheck to people (who aren't in the program). There were a number of reasons - trying to show people how "easy" it is (hoping that would get them to sign up); lightening the load at the regular TSA checkpoints; usually senior citizens who were considered "low risk".

Twice we flew and I got TSA precheck, but my husband didn't. It seemed silly for me to utilize it if I still needed to wait for him. So I would just go through the regular check point, but I wouldn't have to remove my shoes, belt, or jacket, while he did.

I've read that they've stopped this practice (random precheck assignments) because they have enough people who are participating to make the program worthwhile on it's own.

Last edited:
Got TSA Pre-check for all 4 family members (including autistic son) back in January. BEST 5 YEAR ($85pp) INVESTMENT EVER!!! Breezed thru both airports.....and Orlando was BUSY!!!

Applying was easy, appointment was easy, got our approval and travel numbers within a couple days!!! Wish we had done it years ago!!!

Last edited:

My daughter travels frequently for work, so got TSA pre check. On her last trip she was wearing boots and a long coat. She had her personal as well as her work computer with her. There was no open TSA pre check line! Very frustrating to pay for a service and then not have it available!

It is not available in ALL airports.

OOPS! Left out the ALL LOL

Last edited:
The Albany NY airport does not have the precheck line open very much. But, when it is not open the TSA agent that checks your ID and boarding pass gives you a card that allows you to keep your shoes on. You hand the card to the agent at the metal detector/scanner. You still have to take out computers and liquids though.

We've looked at this program, but the 2-3 flights we'd do in a five year period don't justify the fee.

The Albany NY airport does not have the precheck line open very much. But, when it is not open the TSA agent that checks your ID and boarding pass gives you a card that allows you to keep your shoes on. You hand the card to the agent at the metal detector/scanner. You still have to take out computers and liquids though.

That wouldn't have been too bad, but wasn't offered at Newark.

I assumed the word "all" was missing from that post.
But, even putting "all" I don't think is correct - I believe there is TSA PreCheck in all airports. Just some of them do not have dedicated TSA PreCheck lines (like what DVC Don reported).

It is not available in all airports. I fly into a couple of small (think ramp on the tarmac) airports. There is basically one line. Everyone has to comply with the basic security protocol.

I got it in October but not in time for my Oct trip, then in November I was on a charter that did not use precheck (small airport regular security line). I have a trip next month so it will be my first use of it if all goes well.

I actually have sent an email to British Airways as they have me on American Airline flights to and from my home airport to my hub. I'm hoping they are able to print out Precheck, but honestly I doubt it since they are housed outside of the US.

There was a program where they would randomly assign TSA precheck to people (who aren't in the program). There were a number of reasons - trying to show people how "easy" it is (hoping that would get them to sign up); lightening the load at the regular TSA checkpoints; usually senior citizens who were considered "low risk".

Twice we flew and I got TSA precheck, but my husband didn't. It seemed silly for me to utilize it if I still needed to wait for him. So I would just go through the regular check point, but I wouldn't have to remove my shoes, belt, or jacket, while he did.

I've read that they've stopped this practice (random precheck assignments) because they have enough people who are participating to make the program worthwhile on it's own.

on our flight in feb to san juan ( 1st flight in over 5 years) we were randomly given TSA precheck! I was shocked about that. did NOT ask anyone at airport,in case they made some kind f mistake. did searching when we got home, to find out they do indeed give random precheck status. cool... & yup we are going to get the precheck now, after seeing we would have had to wait over an hour through the regular lines & we just breezed right through.

I signed up for Global Entry and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend paying the extra $15 for Global entry ($100 vs $85). For the extra $15 you get a much quicker customs experience via a kiosk at airports. Supposedly they are working on it for some port terminals as well. Port Everglades didn't have the kiosks but they had a different lane for Global entry (you had to have your card), which was super fast.

3/4 of my family got TSA Precheck randomly assigned for our spring break trip. So, it is definitely still "randomly" assigned to some travelers. To me, it would be worth it if I was traveling more than a handful of times per year. Otherwise, not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter