• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TSA pre check ages 13-17 can accompany parents now!

This is great especially since I was so close to spending the $80 to enroll my 15 year old son. He so far has always gotten Precheck with us but I figured his luck would run out soon! Happy to gain another 2 years!

Nice for those who haven’t already paid the fee. Not expecting any refunds in that regard lol

Note:

Teens must be on the same reservation as their parents or guardians and have the TSA PreCheck mark on their boarding pass.

Nice for those who haven’t already paid the fee. Not expecting any refunds in that regard lol

Note:

Teens must be on the same reservation as their parents or guardians and have the TSA PreCheck mark on their boarding pass.

Ugh, exactly!! We paid $160 in April for our 13 and 15 year olds and we've been waiting for their KTNs for 5 weeks. If I'd known they'd be included on ours like when they were younger, I'd have saved myself a chunk of change! I really can't stand the TSA right now.

I think this is a horribly written article that is clickbait and no actual change has taken place. I read through the linked article and there is nothing in it that backs up the claim that those 13-17 are allowed to accompany parents through Pre. Viewing the information from other sites and the press release from TSA, they have glommed onto two sentences out of five paragraphs in the release about summer travel volume. I believe there may have been a tweak to the algorithm to increase the position of teenagers on the list but it is certainly not blanket policy as is implied in the article linked in the OP.

Here is the actual release: https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/rele...ravel-volumes-memorial-day-weekend-and-summer

I think this is a horribly written article that is clickbait and no actual change has taken place. I read through the linked article and there is nothing in it that backs up the claim that those 13-17 are allowed to accompany parents through Pre. Viewing the information from other sites and the press release from TSA, they have glommed onto two sentences out of five paragraphs in the release about summer travel volume. I believe there may have been a tweak to the algorithm to increase the position of teenagers on the list but it is certainly not blanket policy as is implied in the article linked in the OP.

Here is the actual release: https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/rele...ravel-volumes-memorial-day-weekend-and-summer
Thanks for this!
"when the TSA PreCheck indicator appears on the teen’s boarding pass"
I think you're right. It doesn't sound like a guarantee, but maybe the chances are higher it might appear.

Ugh, exactly!! We paid $160 in April for our 13 and 15 year olds and we've been waiting for their KTNs for 5 weeks. If I'd known they'd be included on ours like when they were younger, I'd have saved myself a chunk of change! I really can't stand the TSA right now.

Ugh! We paid for both my teens to get their own. NOW they release this? 🤦🏻‍♀️
Even a credit for a future renewal would go a long way towards good will

Is this really much different from buying something, then it goes on sale a month later?
Actually, you hit the mail on the head

When the price difference is great enough (as in this instance of @ $80 x multiple kids), many wouldn’t think twice about heading back to the vendor and asking for relief.

Not talking a refund but, a price adjustment via a future credit. Not an uncommon practice for target, Sam’s club, Nordstrom etc, who strive to keep their customers even after a month has passed since the purchase. Also, doesn’t cost them anything as they have already received payment upfront

Perhaps a stretch, think it could be argued the TSA has an monopoly on the service. If it wasn’t a government agency, the class action lawyers would already be circling

Actually, you hit the mail on the head

When the price difference is great enough (as in this instance of @ $80 x multiple kids), many wouldn’t think twice about heading back to the vendor and asking for relief.

Not talking a refund but, a price adjustment via a future credit. Not an uncommon practice for target, Sam’s club, Nordstrom etc, who strive to keep their customers even after a month has passed since the purchase. Also, doesn’t cost them anything as they have already received payment upfront

Perhaps a stretch, think it could be argued the TSA has an monopoly on the service. If it wasn’t a government agency, the class action lawyers would already be circling
It does cost them, the work was done. The work still has to be done for the renewal.
There also has not been any actual policy change. Having a KTN gives you a 99.9% chance to have Pre on the boarding pass, having a teen without a KTN on a reservation with someone who has a KTN seems to get Pre about 70%. If TSA was actually changing the policy they could just allow kids under 18 through Pre without the need for it to be on the boarding pass just like they do now for 12 and under.

For those seeking official policy, link to TSA website follows

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/do-children-need-apply

Do children need to apply?​

It depends on their age and whether they are traveling with a parent or guardian with TSA PreCheck®.

Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass can join them in the TSA PreCheck® lanes without applying.

Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass.

Children 13 to 17 may be randomly excluded from receiving TSA PreCheck® on their boarding pass. In these cases, they must go through standard security screening.

Children 17 and under who will be traveling alone or without a TSA PreCheck®-eligible parent or guardian must apply for TSA PreCheck® to have access to expedited screening.

Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass.
So it sounds to me like the AIRLINES determine who has the mark on their BP. I'm sure they get the OK from the government, it just sounds to me like the gov't is saying "if there is an adult w/PC, you can indicate PC on those age 13-17 travelling with them". If the minor DOESN'T have it on their BP, they're not going through the PC lane, and the discussion would be with the airline, NOT TSA.

Perhaps? There's a "monopoly" on passports and driver's licenses too then.

So sounds like the article I posted is wrong then? Just trying to figure out what to do - my son will be 13 when we travel next so should I apply for his KTN anyway then? The article you found sounds like there is a chance he won't get to use pre check even if we have it like the other article said. So I should apply then to be safe?

So sounds like the article I posted is wrong then? Just trying to figure out what to do - my son will be 13 when we travel next so should I apply for his KTN anyway then? The article you found sounds like there is a chance he won't get to use pre check even if we have it like the other article said. So I should apply then to be safe?
Yes, that's correct. If you want to be certain that your teenager will be able to use the precheck line, your teenager needs to go through the application process. Some are getting lucky and being included without going through the application process, but if it's important to you and your teen, they need to apply.

So it sounds to me like the AIRLINES determine who has the mark on their BP. I'm sure they get the OK from the government, it just sounds to me like the gov't is saying "if there is an adult w/PC, you can indicate PC on those age 13-17 travelling with them". If the minor DOESN'T have it on their BP, they're not going through the PC lane, and the discussion would be with the airline, NOT TSA.
There are a defined number of Precheck slots available. TSA determines who gets those slots, first, those with a KTN, then if there are still slots leftover they use an algorithm to determine who gets those slots that meets a certain score. This has long been policy that those between 13 and 17 that are travelling with someone with a KTN are eligible to be selected, it is not a for sure thing, it may very well be they changed the algorithm so it's more likely.
The only thing the airlines have to do with it is transmitting the passenger info to TSA to be checked, either by KTN or to be run through the algorithm.

There are a defined number of Precheck slots available. TSA determines who gets those slots, first, those with a KTN, then if there are still slots leftover they use an algorithm to determine who gets those slots that meets a certain score.
Does that mean, if there are too many people with precheck on a specific flight, that you may have to go through the regular screening, even with precheck?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter