TSA and knee braces.

Ms. WDW

A DIS Veteran who just won't grow up!
Does anybody know if I can wear my knee brace through the scanners or do I have to take it off? I usually go through the body scanner since I have a metal hip implant. Just wondering now about the knee brace that I have to wear tomorrow on my trip to Walt Disney World.

Thanks...

Wear it and then they will probably feel around your leg most likely. If you can, just put it in the bin to save some time. I would think they can't make you take off a medical device but then TSA has done some really awful things over the years with people wearing medical devices far more important and fragile than a knee brace.

I would expect a bit of patdown and maybe a swab. Go through with extra time and be calm and patient with the agents.

Wear it and then they will probably feel around your leg most likely. If you can, just put it in the bin to save some time. I would think they can't make you take off a medical device but then TSA has done some really awful things over the years with people wearing medical devices far more important and fragile than a knee brace.
That's actually what I was thinking. Less problems. As it is, I have to get patted down because of the metal hip! Thanks for the reply.

That's actually what I was thinking. Less problems. As it is, I have to get patted down because of the metal hip! Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I have 2 knee replacements and get them patted or wanded every time.

I went through TSA recently wearing a boot for a fracture. They asked me if I could remove it and still walk. I said yes. They said, good. You can go through either way, but wearing it through TSA takes longer. I'm paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of the conversation. So I removed the boot and hobbled through without any other delays. If you already know that they'll do a secondary screening of some sort, you might as well leave the brace on.

Had to wear one last month departing Orlando. I just took mine off and put it on the belt, they did not tell me too, I just thought it would be less hassle. I walked stiff legged through the detector and put the brace back on. Didn't take long.

Does anybody know if I can wear my knee brace through the scanners or do I have to take it off? I usually go through the body scanner since I have a metal hip implant. Just wondering now about the knee brace that I have to wear tomorrow on my trip to Walt Disney World.

Thanks...
If you are wearing your brace, you will get a pat-down and then a a trace of the brace and your hands,waist and feet.
If you send the brace through the xray with the rest of your belongings, you will be able to go through the scanner.

I went through TSA recently wearing a boot for a fracture. They asked me if I could remove it and still walk. I said yes. They said, good. You can go through either way, but wearing it through TSA takes longer. I'm paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of the conversation. So I removed the boot and hobbled through without any other delays. If you already know that they'll do a secondary screening of some sort, you might as well leave the brace on.

A couple years ago I had to fly wearing a walking boot. It was soon after the injury and I could not yet walk on it without the boot. They asked and explained my options. I went through the metal detector with the boot on, then they did a pat-down, then had me sit in a chair and take the boot off. They did a pat-down of that leg while I was seated, at the same time they sent the boot through the x-ray. Some of the boots apparently they can't xray well, and for those there is a procedure, but it is longer and more involved [they did not explain exactly what is involved]. Once the leg and the boot passed their inspections I was given the boot back to put on and then was on my way.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter