TS Restaurants not needing an ADR?

katibosch

Mouseketeer
So DH wants to leave our trip as unscheduled as possible. It's because of me, I know he wants to reduce my stress of planning and of feeling we have to be a particular place at a particular time.

But one of the things I remember fondly from when I was a CM is delicious Disney food and I was really hoping to eat a few TS meals while we are there.

Are there any TS restaurants that it'd be possible to walk into and be seated fairly quickly (less than 30 minute wait, let's say). I figure some are more popular than others but are they all gonna be full all the time?

Good luck with that! LOL

I'm probably not the best on this, but I'd say if you are going when Free Dining is offered, you definitely want to make a few reservations. You can always can them. Keep in mind there is now a 24 hour+ cancellation requirement or a $10 pp fee is incurred (if you pull a no-show) for any signature restaurants or character meals.

If you go during off hours, you may have a shot at some places, either very early or very late for dinner. I'd think you may have luck going late (ie. after 830). Otherwise, it seems some of the restaurants at the moderates aren't super busy so you may be able to walk in (ie. Boatwrights, Olivia's, Maya Grill, etc.).

I would definitely not count on it. We had one weekday at MK where we didn't make an ADR on our trip in February (long before President's week, really low crowd levels), and almost didn't get a TS meal. The only place that wasn't completely booked was LTT and the wait was 45 minutes.

If you want to eat better than counter service you're probably going to have to commit to an ADR.

If it's high season or a free dining time, my only luck for getting into a table service resturant without an ADR was lunch time at one of the resort hotels. So many people are in the park midday, so this was a definate possibility. Dinner - lost cause everywhere.

I sure miss the good old days before the Disney Dining plan where I could eat anywhere at all in the world with maybe a 20 minute wait and try whatever I wanted spur of the moment. This is ancient history. It's now plan every dinner or eat counter service of offsite.

These are the places I would try but definitely ,more luck going early or late for your meal:The Wave, Kona, Fresh Mediterranean Market, Garden Grove, Boatwright's, ESPN, Kimonos, Kouzzina, Oliva's, Planet Hollywood, Marrakesh, California grill(lounge/bar). There are others that u might have a shot at the right time but these are probably best bets.

Assuming there is no major sporting event going on the ESPN Club @ Disney's Boardwalk Inn & Villas doesn't accept ADR's and when it's a normal day there are no waits to get a table.

I've only made three for our upcoming trip - Tusker House breakfast, Ohana dinner and Garden Grill dinner. For anything else we are going to wing it. The meals I knew I wanted and would be disappointed in missing I planned for. If they others don't work out, we will do counter service. This is because of the new cancellation policy, it's too restrictive imo. If we could cancel the day before I would go ahead, but two days before is really difficult and could be expensive.

If you don't want to book anything ahead I would talk to the concierge of the hotel the day before/morning of and see what they have. If they don't have anything, I would try a walk up at -

The Plaza in MK
Yak and Yeti in AK
China, Morocco, Germany in Epcot
Hollywood and Vine in DHS

Kona at Poly
The Wave at the Contemporary
Grand Floridan Cafe

I would book one character meal ahead though for your dd. :goodvibes

It looks like you're going in mid-May, based on your signature. That's not the best time, but it's far from the worst time to go to hope for some walk-up dining options. You shouldn't fret.

First off, a few places never take ADRs... for instance ESPN Club (Boardwalk) and Beaches & Cream (Beach Club). Beaches & Cream could be hit or miss at any time. ESPN is obviously going to be busy on nights when big games are on, but other times, you should be alright.

Don't assume you must go to a restaurant at a park... nearby resorts may have less crowded options. So if you can't get seated at any of the restaurants in MK, you could try heading to nearby resort restaurants - Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge (especially at lunch time, you shouldn't have a problem there); Trail's End at Ft. Wilderness; Kona Cafe at the Polynesian; Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF; or The Wave at the Contemporary.

At Epcot, you could head over to the Boardwalk or Beach Club for meals through the International Gateway... but several countries often have availability without long waits - try San Angel in Mexico, Nine Dragons in China, Biergarten in Germany, Marrakesh in Morroco, Chefs de France, or Rose & Crown in the UK.

At the Studios, Hollywood & Vine is highly likely to have availability. But you could take a boat to Boardwalk or Beach Club for other options. I think Captain's Grill may be a good option at the Yacht Club.

At Animal Kingdom, try Yak & Yeti or the Rainforest Cafe by the front of the park.

If you feel like exploring other resorts, you could take a bus to Old Key West and try Olivia's, to Saratoga Springs and try the Turf Club, or to Port Orleands Riverside to try Boatwright's (dinner only)... think outside the box. I found that the Garden Grove was a wonderful buffet over at the Dolphin, and when we dined there with a dinner reservation, we were among only three or four parties there total! (If you have DDP, just be aware that's not useable here... but TiW is.)

Hope some of these thoughts help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter