• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to keep up with the weight loss wagon......yet again (new title, same journal)

I would actually be very interested in hearing what symptoms you were having that led you to this diet. I am experiencing a lot of things that have led me to believe that meat may not be my friend, and gluten may be something to avoid as well! Feel free to email me, or send me a private message on here! Thanks so much!!!

So it has been quite the week. My DS is continuing to have stuff going on that we can't really do anything about, but he is really struggling. The worst part is that a lot of things that are going on now are a result of bad choices last semester. It's hard to watch him learn grown-up lessons.

The second set of tests I had run came back with positive results for gluten intolerance. They are not definitive tests for celiac disease, but do indicate malabsorption. I guess I need to make an appointment with my doctor and go in and discuss them. I'm not surprised but I'm still kind of in shock if that makes sense. After years of not knowing what was going on with my stomach and not feeling great, it's strange to have an answer. And it's very real now. Now if I cheat, I know I'm doing something that is really not good for my body.

Last night was opening night of MiLB. We have season tickets. It was a gorgeous night. We had called a couple of weeks ago and they told us they would have g-f beer this year. Well, when we got there they couldn't find it--the supervisor said "we'll get it when we get it." Lovely. So we found an upper level manager--it was in the back and they hadn't stocked it yet. So he went back and was happy to get it out for us.:goodvibes This might sound stupid, but I was almost in tears. I know it's just a beer, but it's baseball and I just wanted to be a normal person with a beer last night. Not a person who had to think about every bite. So it ended up being a good night. I'm going to send a thank you email to the foodservice place tonight.

Mike said last night--look at it this way, you are going to get to meet all the chefs at WDW now. We can take your picture with them and start a journal.:goodvibes

So, I'm happy to say that I think I am going to be able to run/walk the 1/2 I am signed up for at the end of this month. It will not be a pr in time, but after all that has been going on I will be so happy just to complete it. My leg is feeling pretty good--I went to the chiropractor today and he said everything is looking good.:goodvibes And he does not think what is going on with my foot is plantar fasciitis but rather a fatty pad injury--so I can run on it until the race and then rest it afterwards. I'm nervous about the itbs, because it's good until it's not. I can run on it with no pain and then it starts really hurting and I have to stop immediately. What if that happens during the race???? I'm trying to think positively.

I have not been doing great with meal planning, but we have been eating at home more. I have been roasting veggies every couple of days and then we make something to go with them. Last night we had baked potatoes with roasted veggies and beans (broccoli, red onion, carrots, red pepper and butternut squash). Tonight we had pizza with canned sauce, udi's g-f crust (which is expensive but good), a mixture of cheddar cheese and mozz cheese, and roasted veggies. The pizza crusts are tiny but I load them with toppings and we split one. It's plenty of food for me and Mike just gets something else if he needs it. It's only 160 calories in the crust--I'm kind of glad it's small because it's really tasty and I think I would eat too much if we had more.:goodvibes

My DS is going to get tested for gluten intolerance this summer. I already passed on one genetic disorder, so I feel really bad. He has a genetic skin disorder that I am a carrier for. Anyhow, we are going to have gene testing done as well.

So that's where I'm at. Just kind of dealing with things right now. It was hard this weekend at the ball park because I kept thinking of all the foods that I can't have. It's just going to take some getting used to. :goodvibes

So things are going pretty well. We are doing better about eating more at home and not getting take out so much, so that's a good thing.:goodvibes

I have a little vent. We went to a g-f fair today. The g-f fair was interesting. We got a lot of good ideas. We tried a delicious frozen pizza that I am going to get for emergencies. And I bought a mix for choc chip cookies that were fabulous! We talked to some really nice people including the local support group.

Then I had a conversation with someone from the Center for Celiac Disease at the U of Md. Her attitude sucked, in my opinion. I was ready to write them a check--and we are usually pretty generous to causes we believe in. But she decided to basically berate me for not seeking out an official diagnosis--which would mean an endoscopy and going back on gluten for six weeks. And then informed me that I could not cheat on the diet because I might have celiac disease and it would be harming my body. Ok, so I already knew that, I'm not stupid, I assume I have c-d and why on earth would I eat something that makes me so sick it causes my hair to fall out? And she was RUDE! I hate rude people. I was so po'd. And I will not be donating.

This is the problem--you are either in the club (meaning you have a diagnosis) or you're not. And if you aren't they don't want to play with you. So I Kyra Sedgwicked her and was as polite as I could be. I think I am going to write a letter to the Center and encourage them to find a different way to communicate with folks going through this. There are so many ways she could have said the same thing in a polite and helpful and encouraging manner. And I get it that it's irresponsible to not take this seriously, but she didn't bother to find out what I knew. All it did was encourage me to not want to be involved in official c-d events. And the reality is, she knows there are false negatives on the blood panel--she acknowledged that. But she said you should have had an endoscopy.

Hello????? What doctor is going to order an endosopy for someone with a negative blood test--not very many! That's the issue. Doctors write it off and don't acknowledge the false negatives. And what insurance company is going to pay for it!

So that's fine. I know I can't eat gluten. I know it makes me sick. I know there is a very good chance that I have celiac disease. And I know I need to avoid it for the rest of my life. It's just too bad that the center for promoting reseach and information has to have such a crappy attitude in speaking with folks dealing with this. It takes on average 12 YEARS to get an official celiac diagnosis. 12 YEARS!!! Why would I keep putting myself through this in order to get someone to OFFICIALLY tell me it's a bad idea to have this in my diet!

I asked Mike why he didn't jump in there with a comment and he said--why you were handling things just fine by yourself! That made me feel good because I was so mad I was afraid I was being rude. And I really don't like rudeness.:thumbsup2

Ok, vent over. I feel better.:goodvibes

Hi Rose,

Just thinking about you, and hope you are doing well. I think you said on the bl thread you had gone to the gym, and it felt good to sweat and have no pain. How's the knee doing? I hope you're doing well, and are in a good place for the race this weekend.

Sending good thoughts your way and hope you have a wonderful, painfree, stress free weekend. :goodvibes

Hi Rose,

Just thinking about you, and hope you are doing well. I think you said on the bl thread you had gone to the gym, and it felt good to sweat and have no pain. How's the knee doing? I hope you're doing well, and are in a good place for the race this weekend.

Sending good thoughts your way and hope you have a wonderful, painfree, stress free weekend. :goodvibes

Thank you Kathy.:hug: If I cross the finish line upright and smiling it will truly be a victory. My hip is pretty sore, which means the knee will be sore when I run, but I'm going to stretch a bunch today and hang out with my foam roller and hopefully the bad pain will hold off long enough for me to finish.:goodvibes

Next week I am spinning and pool running. Spinning does not bother my knee, so I'll be doing that for a couple of weeks. I really want to run a few miles when we are at BWV later this month, so I'm going to be good for the next couple of weeks.:goodvibes

I also am wheat free and never have been tested. Once I went off wheat and felt better I didn't feel it was necessary to go back on for 6 weeks just to find out for sure.

I do sometimes have days were I do accidentally eat wheat because I'm not 100% proactive at looking at every ingredient at restaurants and I really feel that pain.

Congrats on your race!!!

-nat

I also am wheat free and never have been tested. Once I went off wheat and felt better I didn't feel it was necessary to go back on for 6 weeks just to find out for sure.

I do sometimes have days were I do accidentally eat wheat because I'm not 100% proactive at looking at every ingredient at restaurants and I really feel that pain.

Congrats on your race!!!

-nat
Hi Natale. :goodvibes I hope your knee is feeling better!

So do you ever worry that it's actually celiac disease and that your kids might have it too? That's my biggest concern. I can live without the diagnosis cause I am 100% sure it was making me sick. And what did your doctor think about you going wheat free?

Did you have a lot of symptoms when running?

Eating out is hard. We used to eat out several times a week. We're empty nesters and sometimes it was just easier than cooking! But everything seems to have gluten it it--especially since a lot of vegetarian dishes are pastas.

I'm kind of excited--someone sent me a message last week that California Pizza Kitchen has g-f pizza crust now! I love California pizza kitchen--they have some fabulous vegetarian pizzas!

Anyhow, nice to "meet" someone else who gave it up without the diagnosis.:goodvibes

Hi Natale. :goodvibes I hope your knee is feeling better!

So do you ever worry that it's actually celiac disease and that your kids might have it too? That's my biggest concern. I can live without the diagnosis cause I am 100% sure it was making me sick. And what did your doctor think about you going wheat free?

Did you have a lot of symptoms when running?

I only have symptoms if I eat wheat, running doesn't seem to make it any better or worse.

I am worried my kids have it, celiac is a serious thing!! I was thinking about getting my son (6) genetic testing and if it came back positive I would have him tested. Although that is when I though it was a simple blood test, from what you said it seems like it is more then that. :eek:

Haven't really talked to my doctor about going wheat free. :rolleyes1 I have had stomach issues my entire life and just thought it was normal. It got really bad last winter and I went to my mom's doctor. He wanted to do all sorts of tests and even prescribed me medication. (never mentioned the idea of celiac) I really didn't want to start taking meds.

I worked at whole foods at the time (in the bakery no less) and I kept on hearing people talking about wheat free/gluten free items. So I thought I may as well try it. It wasn't long before I felt 100 times better then I had in years!!! I've had a bit of wheat since then and always regret it.

It goes back to the story of the man who went to his doctor and said, "Doctor it hurts when I move my arm like this." and the doctor said, "Well stop doing it." So wheat free is the life for me. (unfortunately) :rolleyes:

-nat

I only have symptoms if I eat wheat, running doesn't seem to make it any better or worse.

I am worried my kids have it, celiac is a serious thing!! I was thinking about getting my son (6) genetic testing and if it came back positive I would have him tested. Although that is when I though it was a simple blood test, from what you said it seems like it is more then that. :eek:

Haven't really talked to my doctor about going wheat free. :rolleyes1 I have had stomach issues my entire life and just thought it was normal. It got really bad last winter and I went to my mom's doctor. He wanted to do all sorts of tests and even prescribed me medication. (never mentioned the idea of celiac) I really didn't want to start taking meds.

I worked at whole foods at the time (in the bakery no less) and I kept on hearing people talking about wheat free/gluten free items. So I thought I may as well try it. It wasn't long before I felt 100 times better then I had in years!!! I've had a bit of wheat since then and always regret it.

It goes back to the story of the man who went to his doctor and said, "Doctor it hurts when I move my arm like this." and the doctor said, "Well stop doing it." So wheat free is the life for me. (unfortunately) :rolleyes:

-nat

Isn't it funny how much better you feel without it? I have said to Mike so many times--how did I walk around feeling so cruddy for so long?

The way I understand it, the blood test is an antibody test (or maybe it's antigen--I get it all confused). But a negative test doesn't always mean you don't have it. Many doctors also want you to have an intestinal biopsy as well as a positive blood test. The biopsy is considered the gold standard of celiac testing. The extra tests I had done are kind of off the grid. It was done by a real lab, but because it's relatively new and the results have not been published, many doctors are skeptical about the reliability. But I wanted some form of "proof."

I met someone at a g-f fair whose college age daughter tested positive with a blood test and a biopsy. They had their son genetic tested and when he came back with the celiac gene they just took him off gluten. The assumption was that he was going to get c-d at some point.

I think we are going to have a genetic test done on our ds this summer. He agreed to it (he's in college) cause he wants me to stop bugging him about it.:thumbsup2

And the bolded part--so true. My doctor doesn't seem to be too excited about the additional tests I had run. But she said the fact that I feel better means gluten was causing a problem--so stay on the diet.:thumbsup2

I finally found a g-f spaghetti that I like. It was made with corn. I have also tried one made with rice flour. I thought the corn spaghetti tasted more like regular spaghetti. So we had that with tomato sauce, goat cheese and broccoli for dinner. It was pretty tasty. I am determined to get back into the swing of things and cook more!:goodvibes

Have you tried Udi's bread!?! It is delicious!!! It is normally in the freezer section. LOVE IT!!

-nat

So, I am done running for at least a month. I didn't even make it an entire mile today doing run/walk intervals before I was in so much pain I could barely walk. After a major meltdown, I've decided I just don't want to even think about it right now. I know I need to go to a doctor or pt, but I just want to ignore it right now. I feel like I replaced the overeating and the bad habits with something that I really enjoyed and I need to get my head together before I go completely off the wagon. This is not going to get better without rest. And I need to find something to replace it that I feel good about whether it's exercise of something else, just not food. I can't believe how emotional I am about this. I am less emotional about giving up wheat than I am about this. This is so much worse. Which I guess is kind of a weird victory--that giving up exercise is more upsetting than giving up food.:sad1:
I am so with you, Rose! I had the biggest meltdown a few weeks ago when my ITBS knee pain came back. It took so long to get rid of last year, and I hate being worried it's constantly going to come back. So far, it's been more mild and I haven't had to rest as much as I feared. I was so happy to see in our Team Ohana thread that you were able to finish the Derby 1/2.

I've really enjoyed your journal. My cousin has celiac's disease and a close family friend owns a g-f business that sells products to Whole Foods and other health food stores. I always like to make g-f treats when I go to my cousin's. We usually make g-f cake or buckeyes. Have you tried "Food Should Taste Good" chips? Their sweet potato chips are addictive.

Have you tried Udi's bread!?! It is delicious!!! It is normally in the freezer section. LOVE IT!!

-nat
I have some Udi's bread in the freezer. I didn't eat a lot of bread before I went g-f, but I miss grilled cheese and french toast. I don't know why I haven't made either with the Udi's. And we used to eat a lot of pasta--well there is g-f pasta. It's just been a mind shift I think. When I first went wheat free/meat free I felt like I had to reinvent the wheel. I need to just find substitutes for what we ate before.:goodvibes

I don't know if they have them at your whole foods, but have you tried artichoke burgers? They might be more local. I think they are made in Cincinnati. I think Amy's g-f veggie burgers are yucky. But I really like artichoke burgers. They are a little higher in calories cause they have nuts in them, but they are yummy. I have to look and see what the brand is.

I am so with you, Rose! I had the biggest meltdown a few weeks ago when my ITBS knee pain came back. It took so long to get rid of last year, and I hate being worried it's constantly going to come back. So far, it's been more mild and I haven't had to rest as much as I feared. I was so happy to see in our Team Ohana thread that you were able to finish the Derby 1/2.

I've really enjoyed your journal. My cousin has celiac's disease and a close family friend owns a g-f business that sells products to Whole Foods and other health food stores. I always like to make g-f treats when I go to my cousin's. We usually make g-f cake or buckeyes. Have you tried "Food Should Taste Good" chips? Their sweet potato chips are addictive.
Thanks Nicole! I was so happy to finish that race! I hope your 10k goes well. I have a 10k in July that I would like to do, but I'm kind of in a wait and see mode right now. ITBS just stinks, doesn't it? I thought about starting a support thread just to have other people to commiserate with, but I didn't really want a lot of folks chiming in with--don't do this, do this advice. I just wanted someone else to have a pity party with.:thumbsup2 And I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries that it's going to keep coming back. My chiro keeps saying that once it's gone, if I keep doing the rehab I can keep it away. He is a runner and he's had itbs, so I'm hoping he knows what he's talking about. I am still pretty sore from the weekend especially going down stairs. I want to workout, but I'm waiting until the pain going down the stairs is gone. Hopefully by tomorrow.:goodvibes

I think Mike might have brought home the sweet potato chips. For a while there, everytime he came home from the store he had a new g-f snack. Which is so sweet, but I finally had to tell him to stop so I wouldn't gain all my weight back!:thumbsup2 That's cool that you know someone who sells g-f products. There is new stuff coming out all the time, which is very exciting.:goodvibes

Last night we went out for dinner. Someone told me that California Pizza Kitchen has g-f pizza now. Well, luckily I looked online before we went. They have a g-f menu, but no g-f pizza. I am so glad we didn't go there cause I would have been very disappointed. We ended up going to BJs which is where we mostly go when we go out to eat now. I had a veggie baked potato--which I sent back cause there was almost no veggies on it. They fixed it and it was so yummy. Lots of cheese and veggies. Mike and I shared a tomato mozz salad which was yummy too. Mike had tilapia which he thought was undercooked.

It's really funny, cause I have seriously been debating maybe adding meat or fish back into my diet. I really don't want to--I think it's yucky, but it would make being g-f so much easier and I really don't think I have been getting enough protein lately. So anyhow we were discussing this while Mike was eating his fish (and I was waiting for my potato to be fixed) and I could tell something was wrong. And he finally said he didn't think it was cooked as much as it should be. Euuuw! Yuck! That got rid of any thoughts of eating meat or fish again. I'll stick with my veggies and beans. And an occasional well done egg. I always like going to BJs cause they seem to get the whole g-f thing.

In just about two weeks we will be making our pilgrammage to the mouse for french fries and dessert.:goodvibes I am really looking forward to it.:goodvibes I need to get my weight down before we go so that I can splurge for a few days.:thumbsup2

I wanted to let you know that I think you are doing a fantastic job!:thumbsup2You are very inspirational to me. I am a vegetarian who also eats clean, but I'm not gf. I have, however, found that I end up being mostly gf because of the clean eating. It's a hard way to live. I am struggling with going out to eat, mostly. My hubby likes to go to these very unhealthy restaurants that usually only have one vegetarian dish, if any, on the menu (he's not vegetarian). Then, to try to also eat something healthy, low cal, and natural is impossible. I usually end up with a salad or something, and don't feel full, so I come home to eat. :confused3 But, I've managed to lose 17 pounds in the last few months and have reached my dream weight. I've also lowered my body fat considerably. I wasn't overweight to start with, but needed some fine tuning. I'm feeling so good and healthy.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I understand some of the frustrations, and think you're doing amazing!!!!! Hope you're having a great vacation.

Pamela--thank you again for the wonderful package! I am looking forward to trying the bread when we get back!:goodvibes

Tandy--thank you so much for saying that! I feel like such a whiner sometimes--it's only food right? But it's hard sometimes to fit into today's world with a special diet. I can only imagine what being g-f was like a couple of years ago. Much harder I'm sure! Congrats on the 17 pounds--that's fabulous! How did you pick your goal? And are you following a specific clean eating program?

Well I am still here, still rehabbing my itb, still a vegetarian and still g-f. At one point or other over the past week I wanted to bag everything! I just wanted to hole up in my bed with the blinds closed and all the gross yucky food that I haven't eaten in over a year--since I joined the BL challenge last January. But I pushed through it. My weight has been sitting at the high end of my maintain range, which I am not liking, but I am going to work on that when we get back from wdw.

I can't wait to have dessert! I don't know if I talked about this before, but since I started losing weight, we mostly view dessert as a treat--something we'd have occasionally out. Well, there isn't much that you can have out except ice cream that is g-f. (Though I think outback might have a g-f cake--but not a lot of veggie choices. I guess I could just have cake.;)) Anyhow, I'm ordering dessert with every dinner even if I just eat a bite or two! I don't make a lot of desserts at home cause I'm afraid of overeating, but I guess I need to make it, have a serving and then send it to work with DH the next day. We were at the MiLB game the other night and some friends were having a birthday party and they sent cake down to our section and passed it around where we sit. DH had some--it looked so fabulous! The funny thing is that this time last year I probably would have passed on the cake--not worth the calories. But I guess it's that whole you want what you can't have.

Anyhow, things are going well. Probably still eating too much processed stuff--like a frozen veggie burger with broccoli and g-f mac and cheese. But I'm working on it. I can't remember if I posted this or not either--they have baked potatoes at the stadium we go to now. Which is awesome! I hated not being able to eat anything except a couple of snacky type foods. They have broccoi cut up and butter and s cream and onions for toppings. They also have grated cheese, but that makes me a little nervous, so I skip it. I also skip the bacon.:thumbsup2 So now when we go to the ballpark I can have a potato and a g-f beer!

I think I'm rambling tonight. Just wanted to check in and say things are going ok. I will do a mini trip report with pictures from our trip! I can't wait to try some new things!:goodvibes

Uggh—so I got the whole way through the first day of my trip report and hit the wrong key, and poof it was gone! I’m typing it in Word this time!

Trip Report--Day 1

We were at WDW May 19-24. Mike and I flew down Thursday morning and DS flew down Friday morning. He stayed an extra day at home so that he could watch the POTC movie with his friends.

The night before we left I had a horrid stomach ache. I think I got gluten in some chocolate that I had earlier. When I woke up I still had a stomach ache. Not a great way to start a trip. I set the alarm for 4:30, but I woke up at 3:30—too excited to sleep. We left our house at 5:00am. I had the fabulous idea to lock the bottom lock on our front door—which we never do—and the key got stuck!:scared1: After a few moments of horror we got it out and were on our way.

We got to the airport at 5:30 and made it through security. I had half an apple and a hardboiled egg for breakfast—still had a stomach ache. We boarded early. Once we were settled on the plane I asked Mike where the camera was. He looked at me like I was crazy. We had gotten it out to take our customary airport picture and I thought I had given it back to him. We spent the entire flight trying to figure out where we were going to buy a camera in Orlando. It turned out he had put it in his bag that was gate checked! Silly Mike. He did a lot of groveling in Charlotte!:thumbsup2

We arrived in Orlando right around 11:00. I was starting to get hungry. We had to wait a bit for the Magical Express bus and finally arrived at BWV around 1:00pm. Our room was ready!:cool1: We should have gotten our package that we shipped (with the sunscreen in it) and our garden grocer order and just ate something in the room—but we really wanted to get something to eat. By now it was 1:30.

We went to the Bakery on the Boardwalk. When we were there in March they told us we could get g-f sandwiches during the day. Nope—they had nothing that was g-f. So we went to ESPN zone. The restaurant was a mess. Most of the tables were dirty, so we sat at the bar. I asked the bartender for g-f (meaning a menu or a chef) and she laughed and said she didn’t have g-f beer. Ok, why is that funny???:confused3

At that point I’d had it. I was tired and hungry! Getting lunch should not be this difficult! I told her I really didn’t think it was very funny. We left—cause I didn’t like her!—and walked to EPCOT. A really nice cast member helped us to get our Tables In Wonderland card and printed out a list of what you could get g-f at counter service stops. It was not all-inclusive, but was a good start.

We ended up going to England and getting g-f chips (fries). Which is a huge treat for me! I dipped them in tartar sauce. Yum! Then we went to France and I had a Kir Royale and Mike had a beer. We walked around World Showcase and ended up at Mexico. We had vegetarian nachos and cheese empanadas. They were both yummy! The nacho cheese is not g-f so they put real cheese on instead—yum! I would much rather have real cheese. We shared a margarita on the way back to the back gate.:goodvibes

When we got back to BW my knee and ankle were both sore, so Mike went to pick up our package and we also called to have our garden grocer order and our owner’s locker brought up. We changed into swim suits and went to the pool for a bit. I was already a little sunburned, so I piled on the sun screen. It was a perfect day—not too hot, not too cold. I talked to a lady who was reading the Paleo Diet book for a bit. Mostly we just read our books and did nothing!

We went back to the room around 6:00 and unpacked some more and got ready for our 9:30 reservation at California Grill. This was our first time to California Grill. We got to the Contemporary a little early so we walked around and shared an apple that we bought at one of the shops. We checked in around 9:15 and went up to the top in the elevator. We ordered a drink—I can’t remember what I ordered, but it was good! Mike got a glass of wine. Our table was ready before they even brought our drinks. The restaurant was louder than I thought it would be. But really lovely.

After talking to the server for a bit, he brought out the chef. I told him I would eat anything as long as it was g-f, veggie and no mushrooms. He made me a plate with four different small tastes. It was beautiful and fabulous! Mike had salmon. He loved it. We also had dessert—modified to be g-f--bananas foster. It was really good! Our food came right when Wishes started. So we watched from our table. We could see most of the fireworks. It was a really lovely evening.

After dinner we walked to MK—by then it was ~11:00pm and I was exhausted. We took the bus back to BW and collapsed! Long day, but really nice.

Here are some pics!

Magical Express bus!
IMG_2130.jpg

Quick view of the gate from the bus!
IMG_2131.jpg

Lunch at Mexico--though I think we ate half of it already! The beans were yummy!
IMG_2132.jpg

Flowers at Epcot--it was such a gorgeous day!
IMG_2136.jpg

View from our room!
IMG_2138.jpg

Getting ready for dinner!
IMG_2143.jpg

At California Grill.
IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

Mike's salmon. The green stuff is pea risotto. I had some of that on one of my tastes as well. It was fabulous!
IMG_2158.jpg

My dinner--I probably should remember what each thing was, but I don't. It was so yummy! I couldn't eat it all--but Mike was happy to help me out.:thumbsup2
IMG_2157.jpg

Dessert!
IMG_2162.jpg

Oh--and that dress I had on was from RunningSkirts.com. Orginally when I started losing weight, I said if I made it to 150 I would get a Lilly Pulitzer dress. Well, I blew past 150--but never got the dress. I decided I am not really a Lilly Pulitzer kind of girl--but I thought that dress from RunningSkirts looked pretty fabulous!:goodvibes And much more like me!

Yay, a TR!
Rose you look fantastic! So healthy and happy! Sorry about the crabby lady at the ESPN Zone. I think its great you can go to WDW and have a nice gluten free meal. Having a gluten sensitivity has been in the news much more lately-so many people out there with undiagnosed stomach problems. Hopefully people will become more educated. I love the dress!

Thanks Lisa! We do look very happy, which is so nice. I think there are more people walking around with gluten problems than most people realize. I read something that said that 10% of Americans probably have c-d and 30% probably have c-d or gluten intolerance. I'm just glad that all these years I really wasn't a hypochondriac!:thumbsup2

Oh and minor correction--the dress was sports skirts. I have some running skirts stuff too and I got them confused.

Ok here's Day 2 of my TR--Friday, May 20th

I woke up around 6:15am when I got a text from DS that his plane was delayed. We spent the next two hours just hanging out waiting to see what was going to happen with his plane. He finally boarded around 8:00am—his connector was supposed to take off at ~8:30 but they had already rescheduled him. He only ended up getting to MCO about an hour and a half late. So that worked out ok. He was really tired though, since he had been up the night before to watch the POTC movie at midnight.

Anyhow, after we knew what was going on with him we got cleaned up and had a quick breakfast in our room—hard boiled eggs for me. And maybe a Lara bar. I can’t remember. Then we headed off to MK. We missed the opening—we did not make it to MK for park open the whole time. I was kind of bummed. I love staying at BWV, but the bus to MK is kind of a pain. We didn’t have anything major that we wanted to do. We got a fast pass for Jungle Cruise—which we haven’t done for a really long time. While waiting we went back and did the Haunted Mansion, including the new queue which I thought was pretty cool. Mike really likes Haunted Mansion cause there is a Hidden Donald.:goodvibes We also rode BTMRR.
IMG_2163.jpg

We still weren’t sure when DS was going to get there, so we grabbed some lunch at the Pirate place—I have no idea what it’s called. But they have burritos and I thought, ok we can get veggie nachos again. I loved the veggie nachos the day before. Well we had to wait awhile for a manager to come out—they almost always call for a manager at CS places when dealing with a food allergy. He was pretty nice. He asked us what we wanted off the topping bar cause he was worried about cross contamination. So we thought we were getting nachos with bean and corn salsa. Here’s what he brought out.
IMG_2168.jpg

Pretty boring. We asked and he brought us a big cup of the salsa and that helped. Still a kind of yucky lunch, but it filled me up.
IMG_2169.jpg

DS’s plane still hadn’t landed so we went on Jungle Cruise after lunch. We then headed over to Tomorrow Land and were going to try to ride Buzz Light Year, but it had a long line. We decided to go on the People Mover (TTA) and right about then got a text that DS had landed. He got lucky and got right on a ME bus.
IMG_2179.jpg

On the People Mover (TTA). I am having some seriously bad hair today!
IMG_2181.jpg

After the People Mover we headed towards the exit. We waited 20+ minutes for a BW bus. It was pretty hot—and we were the only bus stop with a line. Three yacht club busses came during that time! We should have just got on one of those and walked to BWV.

I hadn’t mentioned it earlier, but my right ankle had been swelling up a bit for several days. (So now, I am dealing with itbs in my left leg and a strained right ankle.) I think I twisted it when I had heels on one day before we left for Disney. Anyhow, I pretty much just ignored it, because let’s face it, after itbs pain, this was nothing! So while we were waiting for the bus that was never going to come a preschooler shoved a stroller solidly smack into my right ankle. It was excruciating!!! I was in tears, it hurt so bad. Oh and I had slammed my roller bag into the back of that ankle the day before and had a nice bruise. It swelled up nice and puffy after the stroller incident. Lucky for me we had lots of KT tape:rotfl: and Mike taped it up pretty good. As long as it was stabilized the pain was doable. So I had a big strip of pink tape on my left leg and my right foot had three strips of tape, though after the first day one seemed to do the trick.

We made it back to BWV (finally!) just a minute or two before DS’s ME bus. We got him settled in the room and ate a second lunch from our Garden Grocer stockpile. He had pb&j and I had some cheese and hummus and scoops. Yum! We got cleaned up and headed to DHS where we were supposed to meet Debra from Team Ohana for dinner. DS did not want to take the boat so I hobbled my way there. I probably should have put sneakers on, but I was kind of dressed up, so I wore sandals.

We made it to DHS and headed for Star Tours. There were folks dressed up in costumes and Star Wars characters floating around. And it was HOT—in the 90s. The wait for Star Tours was 60 min but DS really wanted to do it, so we decided to give it a try. We only had to wait about 30 minutes. It was fabulously fun! They did a spectacular job with the redo. Definitely worth the wait.

DS not wanting to have his picture taken in the Star Tours line.:goodvibes
IMG_2182.jpg

This one is a little better. My hair is looking better since I flat ironed it after lunch!
IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

After that we headed back to TSM—and I think it was calling for 60 minutes as well, so we jumped in line. I think we ended up waiting about 40 minutes. It was quite the interesting wait—the parents were letting their kids leave the queue and climb all over the props. It was just crazy! Mike and Tom kept trying to stand between me and the family behind us because their kids were so wild they were afraid I was going to get nailed in the ankle or knee. We finally made it to the front and had a nice ride.

After that we headed to the Brown Derby to meet Debra for dinner. We had never met Debra before, but I just knew everyone was going to like her. (I think DS thought we were a little wacky for arranging to meet someone that we met online—but he had a good time! I think he saw a side of us he is not used to seeing—that we actually are pretty social.) Anyhow, we were seated in the back of the restaurant in the bamboo room (?? I think that’s what it was called). It worked perfect for us cause it was kind of quiet and we could talk. Debra and I both had the veggie noodle dish with tofu—mine was modified to be g-f. Mike and Tom both had some fish dish—I think it was grouper. I thought they had something different, but Mike said it was the same. Tom really loved his—said it was one of the best pieces of fish he’d ever had. There was some confusion as to which dish was mine and which was Debra’s but once we got it straightened out we were good to go.

My noodle dish was ok. It was kind of frustrating cause Debra had more veggies in hers, and I’m not quite sure why they left them out of mine. Her tofu also had a coconut crust and mine had nothing. It was not my favorite dish, but it was ok. (Actually, it bothered my stomach a little, but I think that was the seasoning.) I wish I would have just got a salad and cheese. If we go again, that’s what I’ll do.

We all had dessert. I had the g-f choice—flourless chocolate cake, Debra and Mike had some other cake, and Tom had some banana thing. I have pictures—but can’t remember what they were called! The flourless cake was ok, nice to have dessert, but not as good as what we had at California Grill.

My noodle dish.
IMG_2190.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot--my drink. I think it had bourbon in it. It was pretty tasty!:thumbsup2
IMG_2189.jpg

The grouper.
IMG_2191.jpg

My dessert.
IMG_2194.jpg

Tom's dessert--I thought his looked a lot better than mine!
IMG_2192.jpg

Mike and Debra each had this for dessert.
IMG_2195.jpg

I would go back to Brown Derby—with the TIW card, it ended up being not too bad, but I would rather go to Cali Grill or Narcoosee, or Yachtsman. I did really like the atmosphere in the restaurant. We should have taken more pictures.

After dinner we said good-bye to Debra and headed to Star Tours. This time we waited about 40 minutes. It’s cool, because they have a whole bunch of different combos/scenarios that you can get so the ride seems different every time. After Star Tours we headed to Fantasmic. It was at 9:00. We were about 30 minutes before the start so were on the far left side of the stage. It was really fun. We haven’t been to Fantasmic for a while, so we all really enjoyed it.

Waiting for Fantasmic--see those little hairs sticking to my forehead? That's my hair growing back in from when it was falling out before I went off gluten. I am really grateful that it is growing back, but goodness, those little hairs drive me NUTS!
IMG_2198.jpg

We sat for a while after it ended cause we didn’t want to fight the crowds. My knee and ankle were pretty sore and it was a long hike back to BWV. Mike and Tom did a good job staying between me and the strollers on the way out—Tom said he took two or three hits for me.:thumbsup2 What a good boy.:rotfl2:

We made it back to BWV around 10:30ish and were all pooped! We were happy to call it a day!

I am loving your TR rose. It sounds like overall your first two days were great. Your meals looked yummy. I am sure it is so frustrating when you have people that are not helpful or worse they laugh thinking its funny.

I cant wait to read more.

By the way....You look fabulous:thumbsup2

Great trip report, so far. You look amazing, and what a handsome son you have! ;) I met Debra over marathon weekend, and she's a hoot! When we went in January, I wasn't a vegetarian yet. I'm VERY nervous about the next time we go. It's going to be incredibly difficult to eat no meat products and no sugar. But, I will make do. At least the chef's seem willing to accommodate you. Sorry about the mean waitress. I have been known to walk out of lots of restaurants for that reason as well. Life is too short to put up with grumpy people! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter