• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to feed 100 to 120 ladies at a church's 3 day event..Update 9/2

If you need a dessert to travel, or a snack, how about Rice Krispie bars? You can get store-brand cereal and marshmallows, which will help with the cost, and they can be cut and wrapped for travel.

And if you want it to be a treat everyone but folks with sugar problems and vegans can handle, use canola oil for the butter, buy the Aldi's Crispy Rice (which is Gluten Free) and their marshmallows, and don't spray the pan - just take them out as set, and put them in ziplocs.

Rice Treats (with extra marshmallows added with the cereal like noodles and co) are my go-to allergy safe dessert for everyone...

PS - And if you want them to taste better than the original treats, on top of the extra marshmallows, add some vanilla to the original marshmallow add..

Op here.. Just wanted to update you all..

The ladies event was successful, and the food was a big hit... So here's how it all shook out...

Welcome lunch - Mexican Fiesta.

Hard and soft Tortilla, Taco meat, Chicken fajita with peppers and onions, Mexican style yellow rice with veggies which was a huge hit with everyone, we added bags frozen veggies into the rice, carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, my friend doctored it all up and it was really good. I huge pot of black beans which was very tasty to go along with everything. Then we had bowls of sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, jalapenos... Dessert - we did end up deciding on ice cream, and fruit bars.

Afternoon break snack - homemade Chex Mix and the church did sign off on the kids decorating the bags... assortment of drinks.

Continental Breakfast, which was assortment of hot and cold coffee and teas, bottle water. Assortment of pastries plus mini bagels with accompaniments, Breakfast pigs in a blanket = turkey sausage wrapped in a pancake, syrup. Yogurt with berries and granola make your own.

Lunch - Rotisserie chicken, BBQ sauce for dipping, Lettuce cups with green salad, choice of dressing, Baked mac and cheese, Green Beans with onions, and scalloped corn casserole. Dessert = Cheesecake and choice of different toppings...

Snack - Pop-corn in brown bags assortment of drinks

Last Day - Early bird 7:00 Am just Coffee, Tea and pastries..

10:30 Brunch - Ham, Maple Chicken sausage, black bean patties, Messy egg scrambles, hash brown casserole and roast sweet potatoes assortment of fruit, English muffins, with butter & jams.

Closing 2:00 -
Make your own Grab and Go bags - so we had left over chex mix and pop corn, as well as a huge can of peanuts, and m&m's, which we mixed together in different combinations and laid out on a sheet pan then she made caramel sauce and chocolate, and drizzled over it... then the mixtures all went in snack size baggies. She used up the Rotisserie chicken and made Fancy pants Chicken salad, along with egg salad, Cole slaw, Pasta salad, which we filled individual cups with... Mini croissant, and small rolls, ... Whole fruit and mixed berry cups... and cookies... assortment of drinks... We found these white paper bags with handles and added some ribbon to the handles, nice napkins, rolled plastic wear... Everyone really like that they could pick and choose what the wanted... My friend makes the best Chicken salad...ever..

So far the surveys have been great, most of ladies requesting that we go this route in the future, and nix the catering... and they loved the that the kids decorated the bags..

Sounds perfect!
Quick question - the black bean patties - were they homemade or were they bought? I love them, but always buy them as my recipes tend to turn out more...not pattie like ;)

Apparently the grills have rotisserie attachments, so the seniors men's morning coffee club is going to man the grills. Rotisserie chicken, with salad lettuce cups, with an assortment of bottled dressing, Cole slaw, Pasta Salad, and scalloped corn or green bean casserole and dinner rolls...

While it always sounds like a good plan to fire up a BBQ to feed those attending, not sure how practical that will actually be for that large of a group. Also, not sure how that will work with trying to make the chicken yourself. Think about how many chickens you will need for 100+ people and typically they take 2 hrs on a home BBQ. Does someone have a good recipe they have previously used for how to season them? The typical BBQ can hold maybe 3-4 chickens, so unless they have HUGE BBQ's (or several of them) or plan to cook them in shifts HOURS ahead of time, don't think that is practical. A better choice would be to find a local grocery store (or someplace like Costco) who makes whole chickens on those industrial sized rotisserie ovens and place an order ahead of time for the number you will need already cooked. In grocery stores I have seen those ovens are large enough that they could make all of the chickens your group will need at one time, so they all get done together and will be hot and ready to serve.

I agree with others that bottled dressing for salad is the way to go, less complicated and you don't need to have 5 extra items to go with the salad as toppings. Perhaps croutons would be a good extra. You aren't running a gourmet restaurant and I would think most attendees just want good/wholesome food.

Op here.. Just wanted to update you all..

The ladies event was successful, and the food was a big hit... So here's how it all shook out...

Welcome lunch - Mexican Fiesta.

Hard and soft Tortilla, Taco meat, Chicken fajita with peppers and onions, Mexican style yellow rice with veggies which was a huge hit with everyone, we added bags frozen veggies into the rice, carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, my friend doctored it all up and it was really good. I huge pot of black beans which was very tasty to go along with everything. Then we had bowls of sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, jalapenos... Dessert - we did end up deciding on ice cream, and fruit bars.

Afternoon break snack - homemade Chex Mix and the church did sign off on the kids decorating the bags... assortment of drinks.

Continental Breakfast, which was assortment of hot and cold coffee and teas, bottle water. Assortment of pastries plus mini bagels with accompaniments, Breakfast pigs in a blanket = turkey sausage wrapped in a pancake, syrup. Yogurt with berries and granola make your own.

Lunch - Rotisserie chicken, BBQ sauce for dipping, Lettuce cups with green salad, choice of dressing, Baked mac and cheese, Green Beans with onions, and scalloped corn casserole. Dessert = Cheesecake and choice of different toppings...

Snack - Pop-corn in brown bags assortment of drinks

Last Day - Early bird 7:00 Am just Coffee, Tea and pastries..

10:30 Brunch - Ham, Maple Chicken sausage, black bean patties, Messy egg scrambles, hash brown casserole and roast sweet potatoes assortment of fruit, English muffins, with butter & jams.

Closing 2:00 -
Make your own Grab and Go bags - so we had left over chex mix and pop corn, as well as a huge can of peanuts, and m&m's, which we mixed together in different combinations and laid out on a sheet pan then she made caramel sauce and chocolate, and drizzled over it... then the mixtures all went in snack size baggies. She used up the Rotisserie chicken and made Fancy pants Chicken salad, along with egg salad, Cole slaw, Pasta salad, which we filled individual cups with... Mini croissant, and small rolls, ... Whole fruit and mixed berry cups... and cookies... assortment of drinks... We found these white paper bags with handles and added some ribbon to the handles, nice napkins, rolled plastic wear... Everyone really like that they could pick and choose what the wanted... My friend makes the best Chicken salad...ever..

So far the surveys have been great, most of ladies requesting that we go this route in the future, and nix the catering... and they loved the that the kids decorated the bags..

What a wonderful assortment. Sounds like you guys used a suggestion from almost everybody here. And the menu turned out to be a much more creative, fun assortment. :) :thumbsup2

Is someone up for cooking for that many people?

I agree with others. I'd be using a grocery store or Deli. McAllisters Deli does a boxed lunch that DH's work gets occasionally for large meetings.

Even Chick fil A does catering.

I agree with others. I'd be using a grocery store or Deli. McAllisters Deli does a boxed lunch that DH's work gets occasionally for large meetings.

Very often in church congretations there are many ladies that have a special knack for hospitality. Finding the volunteers is easy; having adequate facilities to make the job simple is sometimes a different matter, as was the case for the OP. It's tough to prep and pack in food for several successive meals for a big crowd when you can't really cook it on-site. Sounds like they handled it beautifully though and I'm sure everyone (including the kitchen crew) found it much more satisfying than bringing in deli trays or fast food. :grouphug:

Sounds perfect!
Quick question - the black bean patties - were they homemade or were they bought? I love them, but always buy them as my recipes tend to turn out more...not pattie like ;)

No, the Black bean patties were the frozen ones you get at the store, they came in a bag, a purple and green and white bag.... sorry I can't remember the name on the box... Chipotle Black Bean with corn...

I buy them in my local grocery stores.

While it always sounds like a good plan to fire up a BBQ to feed those attending, not sure how practical that will actually be for that large of a group. Also, not sure how that will work with trying to make the chicken yourself. Think about how many chickens you will need for 100+ people and typically they take 2 hrs on a home BBQ. Does someone have a good recipe they have previously used for how to season them? The typical BBQ can hold maybe 3-4 chickens, so unless they have HUGE BBQ's (or several of them) or plan to cook them in shifts HOURS ahead of time, don't think that is practical. A better choice would be to find a local grocery store (or someplace like Costco) who makes whole chickens on those industrial sized rotisserie ovens and place an order ahead of time for the number you will need already cooked. In grocery stores I have seen those ovens are large enough that they could make all of the chickens your group will need at one time, so they all get done together and will be hot and ready to serve.

I agree with others that bottled dressing for salad is the way to go, less complicated and you don't need to have 5 extra items to go with the salad as toppings. Perhaps croutons would be a good extra. You aren't running a gourmet restaurant and I would think most attendees just want good/wholesome food.

The Senior Men's Morning Coffee club, did all the cooking, and yes the grills are huge, and have rotisserie attachments that go on all the grills.... Around 10 men volunteered to do the grilling... and they did a wonder job.. They started at like 5:00 am and had everything done, cut up and in the pans by lunchtime... We did have extra's and that what my friend made her Chicken salad out of... The men were so excited to be asked to help out. Each day a couple showed up to help with taking the trash out, and whatever else that they could do.

I wanted to mention that the lettuce cups, we use a butter lettuce leaf and filled with a small amount of chopped lettuce, spinach, shredded carrots, a couple cherry tomatoes, thin sliced cucumbers, a thin slice of red onion.. they looked really pretty and yet very simple to make..

Yes, everyone comments on how nice it was to have really tasty good food...

Very often in church congretations there are many ladies that have a special knack for hospitality. Finding the volunteers is easy; having adequate facilities to make the job simple is sometimes a different matter, as was the case for the OP. It's tough to prep and pack in food for several successive meals for a big crowd when you can't really cook it on-site. Sounds like they handled it beautifully though and I'm sure everyone (including the kitchen crew) found it much more satisfying than bringing in deli trays or fast food. :grouphug:

Oops, I forgot to mention that the Church is what people might call a mega church... and the kitchen just for the church is better than most restaurant kitchens...as well the school has it's own kitchen again like a restaurant kitchen..

They were not expecting the ovens, as they were on back order since February, The Director of Church facility got a call on this past friday night at 8:00 pm that there was a semi trying to make a delivery... They worked all night Friday and most of the day on Saturday into the evening to get them in and ready to go.

The volunteers were easy to get. Around 20 women and men came in over 3 days to help, as well.. They used the high school and middle school student, they have to have so many volunteer hours a year...

Would she be willing to share the recipe? Sounds like the event was a great success!

She guards this recipe... LOL...

I will tell you what's in it...

Chicken - either roasted or rotisserie - chopped in bite size pieces
Thin sliced celery - celery hearts with the leaves
Thin sliced - green onions using the whole onion just not the roots...
Match stick carrots
Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple bits - make sure to drain really really well.. drain and then put a paper towel, and stick in the fridge until cold
She hydrates, raisin, white raisin, cranberries, cherries... in warmed apple juice. Make sure to drain really good...cool completely before adding them into the mix.
Chopped pecans, and/or Almonds

The dressing that she makes is what puts it over the top... This is what she keeps top secret... LOL

She guards this recipe... LOL...

I will tell you what's in it...

Chicken - either roasted or rotisserie - chopped in bite size pieces
Thin sliced celery - celery hearts with the leaves
Thin sliced - green onions using the whole onion just not the roots...
Match stick carrots
Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple bits - make sure to drain really really well.. drain and then put a paper towel, and stick in the fridge until cold
She hydrates, raisin, white raisin, cranberries, cherries... in warmed apple juice. Make sure to drain really good...cool completely before adding them into the mix.
Chopped pecans, and/or Almonds

The dressing that she makes is what puts it over the top... This is what she keeps top secret... LOL
Thank you! Sounds yummy. :)

OP, do you have an estimate on how much $$$ you saved by not having a caterer?

Since the church kitchen has a huge pantry, we did use things that were already on hand.

I asked my friend how the cost all shook out... way less than half of the cost of Catering.... as they only paid for the food..

Man-power was all volunteers

The pop-corn machine, pop-corn and bags all were on hand.

I was looking for some kinda container for the to go bags... and came across the really nice white bags with the handles in what she call the paper closet... think huge walk in closet... The craft room had plenty of ribbons, to make the bows on them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter