Trying to be happy about going...

dhutchin12

Mouseketeer
I posted previously about injuring my foot 1 1/2 weeks before our cruise. I'm trying to keep good spirits about going; however, my foot is hurting more and I'm now on crutches all the time when out and about. I'm not looking forward to trying to get through the airport, fly, and not be able to do things for myself on the cruise. I am starting to regret having booked this cruise and as much as I was looking forward to it, now I'm not sure that I want to go.
'

I posted previously about injuring my foot 1 1/2 weeks before our cruise. I'm trying to keep good spirits about going; however, my foot is hurting more and I'm now on crutches all the time when out and about. I'm not looking forward to trying to get through the airport, fly, and not be able to do things for myself on the cruise. I am starting to regret having booked this cruise and as much as I was looking forward to it, now I'm not sure that I want to go.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My husband broke his foot falling down the stairs about a month before our cruise in 2019. He was on crutches and in a boot the entire time, but fortunately he didn't seem to have a lot of pain. I did pick up a lot of extra carrying of stuff and he was on kid duty.

That being said if pain is the primary concern - I wouldn't want to go either. Otherwise, what about looking into a wheelchair service at the airport and things like that? Are the other people in your party able to step up and help?

If you're like 'blah' at all of this, do you have insurance or can you reschedule? I've had 2 cruises rescheduled since 2020 (one twice and one once) and I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm so sorry to hear that. My husband broke his foot falling down the stairs about a month before our cruise in 2019. He was on crutches and in a boot the entire time, but fortunately he didn't seem to have a lot of pain. I did pick up a lot of extra carrying of stuff and he was on kid duty.

That being said if pain is the primary concern - I wouldn't want to go either. Otherwise, what about looking into a wheelchair service at the airport and things like that? Are the other people in your party able to step up and help?

If you're like 'blah' at all of this, do you have insurance or can you reschedule? I've had 2 cruises rescheduled since 2020 (one twice and one once) and I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Hope you feel better soon!
Thank you for the response. I have a child and husband VERY excited to go. Both have said they will absolutely step up to help. My husband has even tried to give me examples of how it will be okay - finding me a lounger to relax on while watching them swim, only crutching from the lounge to the D lounge, etc. He will get our soda's, etc. He's being great about it. I like to be able to do things on my own and am not the best at accepting help. I think I just need to prepare and bring Advil, ice packs, etc. and make the best of it. We are on a B2B and it's just my child and I on the second cruise.

I understand how you are feeling, but I encourage you to still go on the cruise especially since your family is so excited about it.

I blew out my knee in December of 2019. We had a 5 night Disney trip and 3 night Disney cruise planned for the beginning of March 2020. I had thoughts of canceling it because of my situation. I didn't want to be a burden to my son or husband. I wanted them to enjoy the trip. But I swallowed my pride, booked an electric scooter to get around the parks and bought myself a cane with a Cinderella motif.

We did the trip and although things were different, I am so very glad that we did. Things were.....different....but still enjoyable. I did not take the electric scooter on the cruise, but I managed just fine as there were always places to sit. My husband and son just had to be a little more patient with me, but the staff was always willing to help also.

We made some great memories on that trip. Given that the pandemic hit just days after we got home which was followed by a Leukemia diagnosis for me in April of 2020 , those are memories that powered me through some very dark times.

Well it can be hard. My husband had a cycling accident 10 days before our Greek Island cruise in October. We did not get to go. We leave Friday for a 3 day disney cruise with family, sort of a last minute thing. And my DH is still recovering from the accident..but I look at the bright side....we get to go as things could have been much worse. Please wear your helmets when you ride!!!!

I'd look into renting, buying, or borrowing one of these, not only for the cruise but for at home while you heal. Much easier than crutches.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=knee+sco...712118&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_5g2b3e6qw2_e

I second this suggestion! I had a tibial stress fracture a couple years ago, in a boot for three months and one of those completely non-weight bearing. Crutches were a pain, thankfully a colleague had one he let me borrow so I could use it. It makes things a lot easier, and also keeps the foot elevated a bit so that might help a bit with any pain/swelling. One recommendation is to get a towel or little pillow for where your knee meets the platform-that's a huge pressure point and made it a lot more comfortable for me.

Best of luck on your trip, I can imagine it's feeling a little blah but I hope that when you go you have a magical time!

I think I would go because my family was so excited. That alone would be worth it to me. Plus as far as vacations go, cruising is actually pretty friendly for people with special needs or accessibility challenges. Let yourself be helped and adjust your expectations. Give your husband and child the gift and opportunity to pamper you.

Oh, that's terrible. However, if your family really wants to go and is willing to help, I would consider it. Maybe they can get you a wheelchair at the airport. That will help some. Also, being on a cruise might be relaxing and help you heal. If you drink, that can help ease the pain. I hope it works out.

I understand how you are feeling, but I encourage you to still go on the cruise especially since your family is so excited about it.

I blew out my knee in December of 2019. We had a 5 night Disney trip and 3 night Disney cruise planned for the beginning of March 2020. I had thoughts of canceling it because of my situation. I didn't want to be a burden to my son or husband. I wanted them to enjoy the trip. But I swallowed my pride, booked an electric scooter to get around the parks and bought myself a cane with a Cinderella motif.

We did the trip and although things were different, I am so very glad that we did. Things were.....different....but still enjoyable. I did not take the electric scooter on the cruise, but I managed just fine as there were always places to sit. My husband and son just had to be a little more patient with me, but the staff was always willing to help also.

We made some great memories on that trip. Given that the pandemic hit just days after we got home which was followed by a Leukemia diagnosis for me in April of 2020 , those are memories that powered me through some very dark times.
God bless you. Thank you for your response. I truly hope you are doing well and healing.

I know they can be cumbersome but maybe even see about renting an electric scooter to get around especially since you will be on your own for the 2nd leg of the cruise.

It has occurred to me that I don’t know how I’m going to handle my luggage at the end of the second cruise. If I choose the dcl transfer to the airport, do they take my luggage from the night before and check it into the airline?

Well it can be hard. My husband had a cycling accident 10 days before our Greek Island cruise in October. We did not get to go. We leave Friday for a 3 day disney cruise with family, sort of a last minute thing. And my DH is still recovering from the accident..but I look at the bright side....we get to go as things could have been much worse. Please wear your helmets when you ride!!!!
I hope you have a great time!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I have some info about the airport. You can call your airline and request a wheelchair to bring you over to your flight and any stopovers. They do it complimentary. Just call and ask for one. I had one when I had a problem with my knees one time flying from Tucson to Boston and another after I got heat stroke in Anaheim at DLR. It really helped. The man who pushed my wheelchair in Dallas/Fort Worth even took me down from the boarding gate to the plane. Don't be afraid to ask. I ordered mine the night before and it was there a few minutes after I checked my bags. It makes a world of difference. I hope you have a great time. Happy Holidays. :smickey:

It has occurred to me that I don’t know how I’m going to handle my luggage at the end of the second cruise. If I choose the dcl transfer to the airport, do they take my luggage from the night before and check it into the airline?
If they don’t take it directly to the transfer and you have to pick it up in the luggage area there are usually porters down there with carts that will help you.

If I choose the dcl transfer to the airport, do they take my luggage from the night before and check it into the airline?

We have used this service in the past and it’s been wonderful, but when I called DCL about six weeks ago to confirm that it would be available for an upcoming cruise, they said they aren’t currently taking luggage and checking it in with the airline. Things change so frequently, though, so perhaps they are doing it again. May be worth a call to ask, or perhaps someone here can provide a more recent update. Wishing you the best!

I'm very sorry about your foot. It's so frustrating when something you've been looking forward to gets marred. I hope you have a good time on the cruise despite the pain it's been causing you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter