Trying for a last minute in December..

scottb8888

DVC: SSR, HHI & BVI
Could not find anything the first part Of December as a DVC member. A friend told me that can get ressies very easy on a few non Disney websites. I understand there are folks/companies that buy up a ton of points and book reservations just to be able to resell (rent them) for cash while us DVC's can't get in?

So why join DVC my friend ask me. And I wonder why myself...

Trying to get in a month before for December has never worked. We are members, we’re going, and the bulk of our stay was booked at 11 months. I needed to add a friend for two nights at a different resort and did that at 7 months.

Friends who do not own DVC were priced out of any AP discounts around 6 months ago, and are staying off site.

Will you waitlist something?

Could not find anything the first part Of December as a DVC member. A friend told me that can get ressies very easy on a few non Disney websites. I understand there are folks/companies that buy up a ton of points and book reservations just to be able to resell (rent them) for cash while us DVC's can't get in?

So why join DVC my friend ask me. And I wonder why myself...
Are you talking this December - less than 30 days away December? The hardest time of the year to book DVC less than 30 days away Dec?
I wouldn’t blame the folks/companies your friend referenced - any spec DVC rentals are probably already taken anyway or canceled to avoid having the points go into holding status. If you’d been unable to book at 11 months, or even 7 months, or even been stalking the Rat/waitlisted for a couple of months and failed i’d understand the frustration, but DVC isn’t really designed to work for last minute trips at very popular times. And to answer your friend, probably best not to buy DVC if you can’t plan more than a month ahead of time and want to go at the most in demand DVC time.

No one understands the point of this thread....

The point is people/companies with large number of points grab up the reservations and sell them for cash to make a ton of money

The point is people/companies with large number of points grab up the reservations and sell them for cash to make a ton of money

That is always the rumor, but i think it is overstated. Whoever owned those points would be booking with them, and it is not credible to suggest that many wouldn't be interested in the most popular two weeks for DVC all year, and/or that suddenly those weeks would be easily available.

I got the point....but those owners are members too. I’m of the mind that Disney has cut out commercial renting. Renting your points through a service has become very profitable, and I’m guessing many rooms will have renters. If you are an owner, you had the opportunity to book.

Keep in mind that if someone is making more than 20 bookings per year, then Disney has a policy to check up on them and prohibit commercial rentals. So, it probably is not happening near as much as you think.

Also, all of the resorts have MILLIONS of points that have been sold. Do you realize how much that is? Like, Polynesian has something like 4 million points sold, if I remember correctly. That means that people could be booking approximately 10,000 points per day, on an average. If you just count the Studios at Poly and not the Bungalows, They still are booking pretty close to 7,500 points a day!

AND THAT IS FOR JUST ONE, SINGLE RESORT! Multiply it by approximately 10 to see the points booked EVERY SINGLE DAY. And compare that to your desire to book a mere 25 or so points per day.

Now, do you really believe that a few 'businesses and investors' are gobbling up the points, so you can't use them? Clearly it is OTHER DVC MEMBERS who are using them. Period.

Last edited:

Only owners can book and selling a reservation is permitted up to a point. DVC doesn't permit what they call Commercial renting and they have determined that to be 20 reservations per UY. Owners who have a reservation or points that they are unable to use can either offer these up themselves or use a broker to find them a buyer. That is also permitted at the time.

Yeah, and one of those companies is Disney.

At 60 days, DVC rooms can be converted to cash. Up to a cap, that money goes back into the system to offset operating costs, after which point, the Mouse pockets the rest. In concert with breakage, no one knows how that works exactly but at 60 days, everything is fair game. You’re lamenting a lack of availability 30 days out during one of the most busy times of the year.

Perhaps you’re not understanding the point of the responses you’re getting? Whether someone books the rooms for themselves or rents it out, they are owners just like you. Same rights to book at 11 months, just like you. And 30 days out, they’d be left high and dry, just like you.

Got any proof of this?

I've got a large number of points and never book reservations and then look for renters. Just not worth the effort to try an match a renter with a pre-booked reservation. All the brokers (were the majority of renting happens) all have renters requesting dates and then owners making reservations.

Are there a few people booking up rooms and then trying to rent them, sure, but I doubt it is a sizable number.

DVC is for people who can plan months in advance. If you can plan out at 11 months, wonderful. 7 months is doable. 1 month out for December, you are dreaming.

And the reason to join DVC is to save money on the cost of a room over the long run.

Why would they do that? They’ve got real money tied up in this reservations. Do you really think they’ll make more money by taking the risk of holding on to a reservation for months and months and then trying to rent it out at the last minute? No; even if someone was booking prospective reservations, they’d be renting them out as soon as they could. What you’re describing would be a terrible business case and they'd be losing money hand over fist. It’s just an unreasonable assumption.

Actually, the point of this thread is for you to complain when you didn't book your reservation right at seven months out at a non-home resort for the first two weeks of December and now are too late to book anything at all.

Since you were not able to book early, try stalking the DVC website. I have had good luck catching 31 days (and less) cancellations. I have also had good luck waitlisting SSR since it is so large. I was able to grab my daughter a Polynesian standard studio in December by stalking. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter