*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Do any of you fifth wheel guys bring a golf cart?
I haven't considered it. There are too many states around me that don't allow triple towing. This new 5er is already long. For some reason a nice big bike rack is standard on all Chaparrals except for the 2 longest. I suspect it is a length issue. I didn't ask why. It would have been nice to have, but I can always add one.

I didn't think about a swivel wheel connections. I don't know if those count as a 2nd towed trailer or not. My only concern would be how much weight the rear bumper on the trailer could manage. My Cruiser specifically said nothing over 50 lbs. I haven't found anything on the new one yet, but I haven't opened the manuals yet either.

j

I haven't considered it. There are too many states around me that don't allow triple towing. This new 5er is already long. For some reason a nice big bike rack is standard on all Chaparrals except for the 2 longest. I suspect it is a length issue. I didn't ask why. It would have been nice to have, but I can always add one.

I didn't think about a swivel wheel connections. I don't know if those count as a 2nd towed trailer or not. My only concern would be how much weight the rear bumper on the trailer could manage. My Cruiser specifically said nothing over 50 lbs. I haven't found anything on the new one yet, but I haven't opened the manuals yet either.

j
You definitely couldn't attach to the bumper as they are made of pretty light/thin steel. Ours has a factory installed receiver but the swivel wheels seem to require a custom receiver of some sort. Also, there is some debate as to what is considered double/triple towing. The manufacturer insists its an extension of the fifth wheel as it does not pivot freely.

dmaxphil-

Sounds like a dealer... I've overheard many a "can my vehicle tow this?" conversations at the RV dealers/shows.

Alright, last pictures. I promise. :worship: But I'm pretty excited about this trailer.

Last night was the outside in a dark parking lot. Tonight is the inside, sitting in my driveway, plugged in, watching TV with the fireplace and furnace running.

This one should have gone in the "Kickin it" topic.
2016%20Chaparral%20Inside-%20Jan%2016.jpg

And from another angle with the lovely DW. She'll be thrilled.
2016%20Chaparral%20Inside2-%20Jan%2016.jpg

j

Lovely. Thats a pretty wide shot my friend. What are you using to take that?
Panoramic mode on my cell phone. You can get crazy and do full 360 views, but they look very strange, especially if you aren't steady and don't get the ends lined up right.

j

Great looking trailer the rear looks setup just like mine, but I have a center island and road side steps up. As for the golf cart thing, we bring two down but a family a class C tows them down for us. The august trip I am just renting one from a nearby offsite for the week.

I've seen the swivel wheel set ups, I've wondered about them as well, I believe my rig it too long (65 ft overall) to add anymore to. If I had one I would set a video camera to keep an eye it. I did look at some toy haulers while we were shopping, but the BOSS didn't want one.
My old Cardinal had a receiver hitch on it and I towed my jetski behind it until a Alabama State Trooper informed me that it was illegal to tow doubles in Alabama. Louisiana is the only state I know of here on the Gulf Coast that allows it.

I can't seem to trust google photo, randomly the links seem to not work. I guess its time to find a new way to provide some good pictures since they have failed me.

Of course an antenna topper had to be one of the first things on the truck.

IMG_1458.JPG
And now finally pictures I hope you all can see of the new beastie. She is a bit dirty, right after I got her we had some snow, some rain, and then some really cold temps that made it useless to try and wash it.

IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1479.JPG IMG_1480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Went to an RV Super show today. Actually found a toy hauler I like. Also went and drove a new 2016 Titan XD diesel. Very nice truck, it's definately the truck we want, just want the longer bed which won't be out till June. This gives us time to sell our current TT. Looks like this summer we will have a new truck and trailer. Makes me one happy camper!

Went to an RV Super show today. Actually found a toy hauler I like. Also went and drove a new 2016 Titan XD diesel. Very nice truck, it's definately the truck we want, just want the longer bed which won't be out till June. This gives us time to sell our current TT. Looks like this summer we will have a new truck and trailer. Makes me one happy camper!

That is a pretty truck. But I honestly expected more with tow capacity and payload. I take it this is Nissans attempt to compete with the latest 1/2 ton trucks from Ford/Chevy/Dodge - with max fuel efficiency in mind? I was expecting it to be a 3/4 ton-type vehicle. A fully loaded XD Platinum Reserve comes in at a 10,600 tow capacity and a 1700b payload and $62k :(

That is a pretty truck. But I honestly expected more with tow capacity and payload. I take it this is Nissans attempt to compete with the latest 1/2 ton trucks from Ford/Chevy/Dodge - with max fuel efficiency in mind? I was expecting it to be a 3/4 ton-type vehicle. A fully loaded XD Platinum Reserve comes in at a 10,600 tow capacity and a 1700b payload and $62k :(

For 62K you can get a fully loaded Crew Cab Diesel one ton and double the nissan towing capacity. But they make trucks for everyone's taste, that is why we are not all driving the same vehicle.

For 62K you can get a fully loaded Crew Cab Diesel one ton and double the nissan towing capacity. But they make trucks for everyone's taste, that is why we are not all driving the same vehicle.

After reading the various press releases for the XD, it seems Nissan is going after the 1/2 ton buyer. It is a heavier truck, so I would expect it to tow a larger travel trailer a bit better than the lighter 1/2 tons. Of course, it's possible it may outperform it's specs I suppose. MPGs are reportedly 17mpg combined which would be worse than current 1/2 tons. Only a 26gal fuel tank - that's a lot of extra stops on a trip to Disney. Well, it's good they finally did come up with a diesel - I know it seems Toyota and Nissan have been talking about this for the last decade.

No I couldn't get them either.

jbrostek's pictures were there yesterday because I saw them. :confused3 Truck was in the driveway in front of a 2-story house. It was tall, wide, and strong.

Not looking for the Platinum Reserve package, just the base S model with the 6.5' bed. We are looking at $42,000-$45,000 depending on options. All the research we have done and the info from our dealership is that the tow capacity is 12,000 lbs, which is more than enough for what we want.

After reading the various press releases for the XD, it seems Nissan is going after the 1/2 ton buyer. It is a heavier truck, so I would expect it to tow a larger travel trailer a bit better than the lighter 1/2 tons. Of course, it's possible it may outperform it's specs I suppose. MPGs are reportedly 17mpg combined which would be worse than current 1/2 tons. Only a 26gal fuel tank - that's a lot of extra stops on a trip to Disney. Well, it's good they finally did come up with a diesel - I know it seems Toyota and Nissan have been talking about this for the last decade.

My DH is a Nissan man, what can I say. He is driving his third one right now and has been waiting for this diesel. He has done a ton of research and he knows the Cumming's engine from dealing with them at work. We only live about 35 minutes from the Fort, and since we both still work full time, only weekend camp within 2 hours of home, so we don't have to worry about lots of extra stops.

Oh great, here we go with the picture problems again.

Last time we had this issue was in October. Took them a month to get it straight. Hope we aren't repeating again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter