• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical Depression may be forming next week

Got here this morning. Weather was fantastic today. Certainly milder for us, coming from Vegas where it was 107.

in the case of all day rain, what do the have closed as far as rides, shows and character meetings?

Having a great time here! So far weather ha been near perfection. But it's HOT and you can feel that tropical humidity pumping in the from south. Latest model data has the system coming in tonight and lasting through Tuesday early/mid morning or so. Looks like we will manage to salvage most of Tuesday if everything works out. Tomorrow will most defiantly be very wet with some gusty winds.

A system that is currently just West of Cancun moving 15 mph is not going to affect Central Florida by tonight. I live in Orlando and it is still too early to tell what will happen, be worried about it, change park plans, etc....

Latest models run as of 2am this morning (credit to: weather underground):

image.gif

Last edited:

Oh lordy...i am flying in on tuesday morning. Any locals know if these storms force the airlines to cancel flights regularly? Talk about rotten luck!

Latest tweet from NHC:

Tropical storm conditions could occur along portions of the west coast of the Florida Peninsula on Monday afternoon.

If you are on Twitter the handle is: @NHC_Atlantic

My go-to tropical weather website is Weather Underground, or the NHC website.

Any locals know if these storms force the airlines to cancel flights regularly?
Regularly? No. Right now its impossible for anybody to predict if the storm will be intense enough to cancel flights at MCO.

Your best source of info on this is your airline's website. That's where you will first see any change waivers.

in the case of all day rain, what do the have closed as far as rides, shows and character meetings?
just rain any outdoor character meet and greets. Most outdoor rides will still be going on if no lightning in the area. I've done Safari, Everest, BTMR in the rain. Rain will cancel the parades, they might still do the rain parade instead of FoF at MK. All outdoor shows and entertainment.
Now if there's lightning all the outdoor attractions will be closed.

If this run verifies it sends the storm further north than originally projected. Would make for a wet 30 or so hours in Orlando, but not exceedingly windy.
You can watch these every minute, and yet there is a strong probability that the projected path will change. It happens every year.

In my opinion I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye, but don't be too worried. It's Florida. It's summer. It's storm season.

You can watch these every minute, and yet there is a strong probability that the projected path will change. It happens every year.

In my opinion I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye, but don't be too worried. It's Florida. It's summer. It's storm season.

Sure, paths change, but as we get to within 48 hours forecast accuracy begins to increase dramatically. That being said, OF COURSE the path can change. As anyone at all knows, forecasting is not an exact science.

As I said, I wouldn't worry about it ether. Have fun, wear something like crocs, and enjoy the shorter lines. You are almost guaranteed to have an extremely rainy day or so at the very least.

As for it being storm season, sure, summer and Florida = storms. That being said, tropical systems are of course not an every day occurrence. People are not being alarmist to keep an eye on it.

I can tell you this, Murphy's Law will prevail. My dh has been out cleaning the rain gutters and we have sand bags just in case. Our lanai filled up with water the other night when it stormed. Another inch or so, it would have been in our house. So no worries, we are prepared, so we will be spared! ;)

The depression is anticipated to become a tropical storm later today

Sure, paths change, but as we get to within 48 hours forecast accuracy begins to increase dramatically. That being said, OF COURSE the path can change. As anyone at all knows, forecasting is not an exact science.

As I said, I wouldn't worry about it ether. Have fun, wear something like crocs, and enjoy the shorter lines. You are almost guaranteed to have an extremely rainy day or so at the very least.

As for it being storm season, sure, summer and Florida = storms. That being said, tropical systems are of course not an every day occurrence. People are not being alarmist to keep an eye on it.
That's what I said, keep an eye, but don't worry too much. Tropical storms are actually a common occurrence.

As for paths changing- I had people "evacuate" key west to come stay at my house, in Boca Raton, before Wilma. Well, obviously that was the wrong thing to do, I was smack dab in an evacuation zone just before it hit, and they ended up getting stuck in Boca for a week with me- without power or water, and 4 hour lines at the gas stations-at least those that were open. But at the time KW was projected to get hit head on, So they made the best call possible based on that warning, and the Keys are definitely the one place that everyone should evacuate when warned.

I honestly can't remember one storm in my life that actually landed in the projected path. Be cautious, but know that it will move thru and your vacation will be fine :)

Last edited:
Looking at the latest data. I am confident that only tomorrow is going to be a washout. The worst should be out by 11pm to 12am tomorrow. Tuesday should see quickly clearing skies and a nice day!

Having a great time here! So far weather ha been near perfection. But it's HOT and you can feel that tropical humidity pumping in the from south. Latest model data has the system coming in tonight and lasting through Tuesday early/mid morning or so. Looks like we will manage to salvage most of Tuesday if everything works out. Tomorrow will most defiantly be very wet with some gusty winds.

I told my DH that it felt hotter today than it did the whole trip last July! We were in MK this morning.

A couple of things to consider:

Bring at least two or three pairs of shoes per person. If sneakers get wet, stuff them with newspaper, use a hair dryer to dry them out.

If it's raining pretty hard, even with ponchos you're likely to get somewhat wet. Remember that restaurants and shops will be heavily air-conditioned, and if you're wet and take your ponchoes off, you'll likely get really cold. I was so glad to have a dry hoodie to put on from my backpack - and dry socks!

We have been here since Thursday with no rain.

2 things I guarantee my kids before we arrived was it will be hot and we will get rained on.

I'm not worried about touring a theme park when I know there is potential for loss of life if people don't pay attention to what's coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter