Tron and GOTG Comparison to 7DMT

DDuckSouthBend

Carl Fredricksen In Training
I am coming off of Spinal Surgery and would like to know how Tron and GOTG compare to 7DMT.
7DMT is right at the limit of what my back handle. I would love to experience both Tron and GOTG, but not at the expense of my back.

Any input would be appreciated.

Really tough comparison. Both Tron and GOTG are significantly more intense than 7DMT.

For me, intensity meant faster and at least the perception of a bigger climb and drop esp Tron.

I didn't notice any wrenching twists on either like the backward spiral on Yeti.

I'll experience GOTG again. I won't try Tron again.

Perhaps someone with a history of back surgery and/or back pain can reply and give you a more targeted answer.

Tron is really hard on my neck and spine - I'm 51 y/o with disc and arthritis issues. I have done it about 8 times but i really think I'm done with it. It is so short and not really enjoyable to me.
That said, I LOVE GOTG and really like 7DMT. GOTG is super smooth in my opinion and I don't get nauseous from it like some other riders have reported. If it's a case of back/spine SURGERY however, I'm not sure how I would proceed? It sounds like all of the above could be quite risky to recovery?!

I found Tron was hard on my back and I have no back issues. You are laying on your stomach with the wind blowing into you so trying to lift you up. It was fine when I laid completely flat but personally I would not risk it.

I found Tron was hard on my back and I have no back issues. You are laying on your stomach with the wind blowing into you so trying to lift you up. It was fine when I laid completely flat but personally I would not risk it.
Do you think it would've been easier on backs in the accessible seating? I don't think I can do the motorcycle seating but if the ride is smooth, the alternate seating would work.

Do you think it would've been easier on backs in the accessible seating? I don't think I can do the motorcycle seating but if the ride is smooth, the alternate seating would work.
sorry, I don't feel comfortable advising on this as I have never ridden in those seats nor do I want to advise someone post-surgery what they should/should not do. If it were me I would err on the side of caution as I would not want to risk what was done during the surgery.

sorry, I don't feel comfortable advising on this as I have never ridden in those seats nor do I want to advise someone post-surgery what they should/should not do. If it were me I would err on the side of caution as I would not want to risk what was done during the surgery.
Sorry, I wasn't the OP. I should have clarified. Let me re-ask this way...is Tron a smoother coaster than 7DMT which is ok but a bit jerky for me.

I have only used the accessible seat on Tron and it seems smooth to me. The takeoff is intense however …. It accelerates very quickly and I tend to lean forward a bit holding the bar in front of me so I’m slightly more aerodynamic haha! That might create pressure on your back or neck. It’s not necessary to lean forward at all however. I did find the ride smooth.

I have only used the accessible seat on Tron and it seems smooth to me. The takeoff is intense however …. It accelerates very quickly and I tend to lean forward a bit holding the bar in front of me so I’m slightly more aerodynamic haha! That might create pressure on your back or neck. It’s not necessary to lean forward at all however. I did find the ride smooth.
GOTG launch might also be intense since it is very fast and in the dark!

GOTG made me want to hurl. Never again! It was smooth though.

I sat in the regular seats at Tron because I knew I would not be able to handle the stooped over seats. I have back issues myself. It was incredibly smooth. Not jerky at all. I love Tron!

To answer your question, if I had just had back surgery, I would not ride anything with any speed at all. The potential for something bad to happen is high.

Last edited:
I think GoTG has one of the best roller coaster ride cars I've ever been in. Those seats feel like a hug; they're amazingly secure. I think it's probably less jerky that 7DMT, however, without question, it is definitely a more intense.
I'd definitely talk with your doctor before considering either GOTG or Tron.

I am coming off of Spinal Surgery and would like to know how Tron and GOTG compare to 7DMT.
7DMT is right at the limit of what my back handle. I would love to experience both Tron and GOTG, but not at the expense of my back.

Both are VERY smooth coasters. If you can handle 7DMT with absolutely zero pain, you are probably OK. Guardians and Tron are certainly more intense/faster but I personally don't believe they are rougher. In fact, I would bet (a small among of money!) that they are actually smoother than 7DMT.

I've had two back surgeries - as far as the stress on your back, neither of these are any worse than 7DMT. I would avoid Space Mountain and Matterhorn though.

I'm sure you've heard it, but the key is to GET IN SHAPE! Find a good physical therapist that will push your limits, then set an even higher bar for yourself. IMHO, any PT that just focuses on stretching and heat and cold treatments is a complete waste of time. If the PT does specialized 1 on 1 strength training in addition to prescribed PT treatments you are on the right track.

Yeah, do not under any circumstances go on Tron after spinal surgery. Tron hurt my neck and I’m in good health. It is not a comfortable ride.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I am about 6 months post-op. I went thru intensive PT focusing on both flexibility and strength. Now I am still doing the workout on my own. I have made great progress from the condition I was in pre-surgery, and post-op. So the last thing I want to do is mess this up.

So it looks like GoTG, Tron, and 7DMT are going to be skip this trip.
I may re-think it for the May trip.

I prefer TRON to GOTG, as it's smoother and less twisting. 7DMT is the smoothest of them all IMO so I would stick with that ATM if you feel that's your limit. Not worth risking further injury.

What did ur surgeon say about 6 month post op activity? specifically coasters regardless of type and how "rough". they are. I wouldn't be listening to anyone but them. I'm a PT for all our ortho pt's we follow strict protocols from the surgeons and whenever a pt asks us something outside the protocol timeframe or activity we defer them to the surgeon.

The surgeon said the back is healed and to use my best judgement. I have been cleared to start bowling once again. With the qualifier of "If you feel any twinges or pain stop immediately, and for the next month only bowl one game per week".

So to try to use my "best judgement" I was looking to see how GoTG and Tron compare to a known experience for me, 7DMT. With all I have heard, my "Best Judgement" is to take a pass on them all, and re-evaluated for the May trip which will be about 1 year Post-Op.

Thank you all!

It’s hard because even doctors are just guessing. My one surgeon said I could ride any coasters, and the other one said no jerky ones or rides with Gforces so I’ll just err on the side of caution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter