Tripods Banned?

I can understand the inconsistent answer from CMs issue. I work as a call center trainer, and you get complaints all the time about how one call center agent said X, and another said Y. The agents have to memorize a LOT of information so they will make mistakes.

Well if it's any consolation, you'll get pretty good at street & freestyle shooting in no time... I wonder why monopods but not tripods are allowed -- is it due to the larger footprint of the tripod?

At Disneyland, tripods are not allowed, but it doesn't stop people from sneaking certain unconventional/small tripods in. I have one of these cheap flexible tripods that are a few inches in height but can fold/bend into an inconspicuous object, and that passed security about 10 months ago. It was probably too small for them to care.

I was able to bring small stabilizers/rigs and shotgun mics in for video purposes.

I don't think we've fully established that tripods are not allowed. The website still says:

"Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted."

I don't think we've fully established that tripods are not allowed. The website still says:

"Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted."
I understand that, but we are dealing with a lot of CM subjective interpretation. Some people bring equipment that can easily be confused with a non-permitted item... Tripod or selfie sticks I've been told are not allowed, at the gate. I did not bring a large tripod in and I assumed (correctly based on the website) that it was too small for them to care.

You can also be stopped by a CM who is acting in error, but regardess -- you've been stopped. My observation is that the larger the tripod is, the more likely you will be turned away. I feel that we are dealing with degrees of certainty and subjectivity on this issue -- and the CM you are dealing with has a lot to do with it.

UPDATE...used my tripod last night for wishes with no problems at all...well I should say except for the woman behind me complaining about it. I just dont see how a tripod is any worse than the kid on a parents shoulders.

Better a camera on a tripod than a (podhole) in front of you videoing with the tablet.

I would love to hear some more recent reports from DLR.

I would love to hear some more recent reports from DLR.

I just got about 4 days ago from the DLR. Even though I didn't bring my tripod to the parks during the trip but I didn't see any guests with a tripod as well when I was walking around. When I walked through the security with my gorilla pod, the CM's had no problem with it. I did wrote on this thread that the CM that I talked to about the tripod issue would say something different now. But after 2 months and it still says the same thing on the website.

There is also the possibility that the tripods are not allowed at the DLR during the summertime due to the high crowds at the parks.

I just got about 4 days ago from the DLR. Even though I didn't bring my tripod to the parks during the trip but I didn't see any guests with a tripod as well when I was walking around. When I walked through the security with my gorilla pod, the CM's had no problem with it. I did wrote on this thread that the CM that I talked to about the tripod issue would say something different now. But after 2 months and it still says the same thing on the website.

There is also the possibility that the tripods are not allowed at the DLR during the summertime due to the high crowds at the parks.

Thanks for the updated report Bret! I think that unless I hear anything different, I will bring mine if we go in November and just hope for the best.

I know someone who has been there for a week. He has not had any issues bringing his tripod into the parks. He did have a CM question him. He was taking a photo with his tripod. But it didn't turn into a problem for him.

I know someone who has been there for a week. He has not had any issues bringing his tripod into the parks. He did have a CM question him. He was taking a photo with his tripod. But it didn't turn into a problem for him.

Thanks for the report. Was that at WDW or DLR?

I am wondering if the DLR are letting guests bring in their own tripods. I have heard from other DISers that they were able to bring in tripods during the fall time. I haven't brought mine in since last May which I was denied that one day. But there were times I have seen guests with their own tripods. Are there any DISers lately going to the DLR and were able to bring in their own tripods or are being denied?

The published rules for tripods at Disneyland have not changed for many years. There was indeed a major issue with tripods at DL a few years ago (I was one of those directly impacted) and security was extremely antagonistic toward them. That stopped around 4 years ago and there have been no issues since. If you hear of one now, it is nearly always caused by the photographer, not Disney. A couple of guidelines to keep in mind and you should be fine:

- Technically your tripod should be able to collapse to a size that can fit inside of a 'normal' backpack. I often encourage folks to have a way to either have the tripod in your bag, or strongly attached to it. If you are hand carrying it, you will increase the chances that you'll be questioned about it. It can be just fine, but if it's hand carried it will draw more attention.
- Whenever you stand up the tripod, be aware of where you are and the guests around you. If a reasonable person (guest or CM) could consider your use at that location to be creating an obstruction to the flow or safety of guests through the park, you may be asked by a cast member or security to move to a new location.
- The reason for the center column 'rule' is again, about making an obstruction of yourself. Saying that it's no different than a pop-up-kid on dad's shoulders doesn't matter. If you suddenly push your camera up in the air when the show starts don't be surprised if guests behind you complain. I always recommend that the camera should never be above your head and you should never have an issue. How many times have we all complained about the hundreds of phone screens in the air when the fireworks start; popping you camera way up over your head is no different.

The best way to be sure that all of us can continue to bring tripods into the parks and photograph them is to make sure that we are all following all of the rules and not making an obstruction of ourselves. I'm accusing nobody in particular here but every photographer who thinks the rules are stupid and refuses to comply with them, increases the chances that Disney will get fed up with all of it and eventually ban tripods in the parks. It's going to get harder and harder in the coming years as the parks get busier so it's incumbent on all of us to make sure we are as discrete and invisible as possible so they do not feel the need to change the rules.

At this time the only Disney parks that have a hard ban on tripods are in Tokyo. It's up to all of us to be good stewards of our hobby and not do anything that bring that on here.

Last edited:
Tripods are not allowed in Shanghai Disneyland either. One of the CM at the hotel I was staying in advised me to leave my tripod behind on the first night I was there. I did check with security and even with the language barrier, I figured enough to know that it wasn't allowed. :(
No one else in SDL had a tripod either.

Strange really....because there were tons of Photopass togs around...all with tripods.

On the flip side, tripods were allowed into Hong Kong Disneyland.

Thanks for the updated report Bret! I think that unless I hear anything different, I will bring mine if we go in November and just hope for the best.
Another November visit upcoming?

Nothing set yet. But we're hoping.

Are you planning a summer visit?
My wife and I are headed to Oregon next week after Easter. This summer (I really don't even want to say it as I'll jinx it) we are going to drive to the Grand Canyon/San Diego. Disneyland is undecided at this point. We had ever intention of camping in Yellowstone but most of the family didn't want to go so we backed out last month. I really want to hit arches natl park but I'm not sure we will have the time. I've been wanting to do this drive for so many years but Southwest will come up with some crazy deal and it will be to good to pass up. If I knew the DL would be done with the train and the new Fantastic! then I would put at least one day into the itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter