Trip without Genie+ ?

Would you do a week long trip to WDW without ever purchasing Genie+?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No, No way.

Votes: 49 40.2%

• Total voters
Genie + just flat out sucks. Did it once and what a complete waste of time on my phone and money in the parks...we just stopped going to the parks as much and spent more time at the water parks and at Epcot and AK. There is no way I would ever pay for that piece of garbage again...Disney is shooting itself in the foot as so many people are beyond frustrated at the greed.

The biggest advice I give folks is if your going to spend all the hundreds of dollars it takes to do Disney cheap out on the souvenirs not Genie +. I have been able to get like 8-10 skip the line passes with Genie in one day. It makes your day so much less stressful and more fulfilling. Don't ruin your day to save 20-30 bucks.

We went the first full week of March this year which was a moderate crowds week and did not use Genie+. With a disclaimer that we did do both AH events for my bigs to get their fill of thrill rides and we did purchase a LL for Guardians at Epcot, we didn’t miss having Genie+ at all and had a great time! We rope dropped and/ or rode during evening shows to have reasonable waits for popular rides.

The biggest advice I give folks is if your going to spend all the hundreds of dollars it takes to do Disney cheap out on the souvenirs not Genie +. I have been able to get like 8-10 skip the line passes with Genie in one day. It makes your day so much less stressful and more fulfilling. Don't ruin your day to save 20-30 bucks.
Unfortunately with 6 of us...it's not just $20-30 bucks...

I'm able to get in everything that I want to do sans Genie+. I utilize rope drop, resort guest early entry, and stay until park closing (just my usual MO even before Genie+). But my WDW vacations are usually about 10 days or so.
We also go on 2 week trips and only go to the parks 6 of those days. I think the only real day we would consider it is at MK. We spend more of our time at Epcot...one day doing epcot attractions/rides...another Epcot day relaxing in the countries with a few drinks ;)

So much about any and every vacation you take is truly a personal preference so hard question to answer for someone else. We live 1+ hr from WDW and go often. We are DVC and stay over at least 1-2 nights with each trip (many times longer). We are AP as well and have been for over 14 years (last year I think we were at WDW 30+ days). We have been to the parks literally every month of the year - high and low times. I mention all this because each and every experience we have is different.

Years ago, you could always count on low crowds in months like Sept after Labor Day. It is just not the case anymore. Certain points of Jan used to be low but then the marathons started and many tourists from S America come then. There no longer seems to be any rhyme or reason why wait times are longer at slow periods and sometimes shorter when it is really busy. If you do not mind waiting in lines, then I would not worry about Genie+. We tend to do it most times we are there bc we know the things we want to hit and it maximizes our time. Like another poster mentioned, once you learn the system you can work it much better.

Your vacation is what is a priority for you. If it is the experience of just being at WDW and soaking it all in and not having to do every ride, you may opt out of Genie+. Just think about what the focus is for your family (also, sure you heard Disney announced they are making changes for Genie+ beginning in 2024. Not sure when but looks like you *may* be able to pre-select at least a ride before you arrive like the old FP system). No matter what you do, you will have a great time. Enjoy!!

We pick and choose our days. Some days G+ isn't necessary for us, other days we buy it and use it a lot. I'm an early riser, but our family would never do rope drop - so it works for us. My crew isn't interested in waiting an hour or 2 for most attractions. I get up, make our initial G+ LL and/or ILL, and we're good to go. We almost always focus on an attraction or 2 in the initial park, and then really use G+ more for a hopping park later. The modify option really changed things for us and makes G+ way more useful. But as many have said, it might not be for everyone, especially with the cost. But there were many who didn't want to book FP+ attractions 2 months in advance or book dining 6 months in advance. We all do it differently. But the way we've used it, it actually allows for slightly more daily flexibility than FP or FP+ did.

People who complain about G+ availability don’t know how to use it to it’s full extent. A good planner will be able to easily squeeze 8-10 rides a day at MK or a park hop scenario. I myself can do it easily. The simple tricks are to be fast with the fingers at 7am to get an early return time. Set your first couple rides to appear at the top of the attraction list. Always refresh for better times and to avoid the 2 hour rule. Use G+ to knock out small rides like Under the Sea and Buzz with immediate return times while the standbys are 30 minutes. Stack for later in the evening if you take a break.

I suggest you watch the YouTube channel Earscouts. His videos are the best at explaining the G+ process. After watching and seeing him get a selection for every ride in the park, ask yourself if those complainers used any of his strategies. G+ is a game. If you don’t play the game well, you will lose.

As far as your question as to how the parks are now with G+ (I assume regrading queues and wait times), it is no different than with fastpass.
While I agree with you that learning the tricks and techniques will yield better outcomes the issue remains of how relaxing of a vacation is it if you need to study up on it in order to have a good outcome?

People who complain about G+ availability don’t know how to use it to it’s full extent. A good planner will be able to easily squeeze 8-10 rides a day at MK or a park hop scenario. I myself can do it easily. The simple tricks are to be fast with the fingers at 7am to get an early return time. Set your first couple rides to appear at the top of the attraction list. Always refresh for better times and to avoid the 2 hour rule. Use G+ to knock out small rides like Under the Sea and Buzz with immediate return times while the standbys are 30 minutes. Stack for later in the evening if you take a break.

I suggest you watch the YouTube channel Earscouts. His videos are the best at explaining the G+ process. After watching and seeing him get a selection for every ride in the park, ask yourself if those complainers used any of his strategies. G+ is a game. If you don’t play the game well, you will lose.

As far as your question as to how the parks are now with G+ (I assume regrading queues and wait times), it is no different than with fastpass.
I agree with this. At HS I refreshed and modified to get the rides we wanted even during the week between Christmas and NYE. Wait times were over 2 hours for most rides at HS. I was stressed and couldn’t enjoy the parks as much as my family but it was still worth it as the kids had lots of fun.

We are a party of 5 and Genie+ was $29+tax per day. At HS there are fewer rides so you have to lower expectations and try to get Genie for the top 3. That would save you 4-6 hours of standing (you still end up waiting a few mins). You have to standby 1-2 rides and maybe ride single rider (RnRC and MFSR).

You don’t need Genie+ at Epcot and AK (ride lines mostly indoors and fewer rides; many fast loading rides)

Edit (didn’t realize this was an old thread; hopefully OP had a great trip)

There are changes coming and it looks like next year we will have a premium Genie+ pass to cover a bunch of rides or tiered like FP+ (tiers = 1 top tier ride). We will be missing Genie+ soon.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023...mail&utm_campaign=blog&utm_term=&utm_content=

4395B1CE-E8CB-4223-B37E-E721E16DF1A9.jpeg

Last edited:
I will put in this disclaimer, I only took ONE trip with FP+ so most of my trips were in the paper fastpass era. Second disclaimer, we didn't do a ton of e-tickets. My tall enough kid for them hates them and our other kiddo was unticketed so too short for most rides with a limit. And we didn't always have a non rider.
I found it worked well in MK and for stacking rides at HS in the afternoon. The question I asked myself was this, was it worth x dollars to have a return time for rides like safari, jungle cruise, and other rides with a long queue. I have little kids, so it was worth every red cent. Now would my calculus change if it was an adults only trip? Possibly.
We didn’t learn about rider switch until 5-6 trips either. It made it easier to ride with younger kids.

Also, a friend who is new to WDW went on a trip recently and decided not to purchase Genie+ for the first several days of their trip (lower crowd week mid Dec 2022 before the price hike). The first day there was a tornado warning and they were at Epcot (I told them to buy the $10 ponchos and brace the weather). They had low waits and loved it but missed the fireworks (eating dinner too late.).

However they were so exhausted from standing and running around at MK the next day that they decided to go to a beach instead of going to HS (they had paid over $500 for that day). For them it would have been worth it to spend the $15*4 for their family).

They ended up buying Genie+ at AK when Navi sold out (they weren’t sure they were going to go so purchased it mid morning and slept in despite all advice). FOP LLI$ also sold out as that was the day the Christmas week crowds started pouring in. So that day was a bust and kids were too exhausted to stand in lines anymore so they did things like Tough to be a bug and Everest (did get Safari and Lion King with Genie+).

Last edited:
While I agree with you that learning the tricks and techniques will yield better outcomes the issue remains of how relaxing of a vacation is it if you need to study up on it in order to have a good outcome?
Guess it depends on how you vacation. I try to cram as much as possible in any vacation, while my wife would prefer to take a slower approach. To me less stress is not waiting in line as much. I'll happily play the Disney Genie Slots to not have to wait much.

I'm going to try it without Genie+ on our trip, however, it is just my son & I. He doesn't like coasters and although a few things we would probably use it for won't be that big of a deal for us if we do have to miss them. I am curious how it will end up. We are going to try some other methods that will hopefully not have us waiting in 3 hour lines for the few rides that are on Genie+/LL since we can go to early morning & we have MNSSHP tickets.

Guess it depends on how you vacation. I try to cram as much as possible in any vacation, while my wife would prefer to take a slower approach. To me less stress is not waiting in line as much. I'll happily play the Disney Genie Slots to not have to wait much.
At HS they need to create more shaded seating in Toy Story land and a small playground. They have enough characters to create a carrousel.

We couldn’t find shoes anywhere (TSL or Galaxy’s Edge) for our 3 year old (lost one shoe and was denied entry to Alien Swirling, one of two rides she could go on).

So even taking things slow at HS can be hectic

I'm going to try it without Genie+ on our trip, however, it is just my son & I. He doesn't like coasters and although a few things we would probably use it for won't be that big of a deal for us if we do have to miss them. I am curious how it will end up. We are going to try some other methods that will hopefully not have us waiting in 3 hour lines for the few rides that are on Genie+/LL since we can go to early morning & we have MNSSHP tickets.
I had no issues standing in lines like FOP or SDMT for 60 mins with our teen. When are you going?

We are going 10/31 to MNSSHP so I was doing some research. Lines at MNSSHP are long (3-4 hrs to meet Jack & Sally at 4 pm because APs are allowed to line up at 2 pm). This is in Aug.

Last edited:
At HS they need to create more shaded seating in Toy Story land and a small playground. They have enough characters to create a carrousel.

We couldn’t find shoes anywhere (TSL or Galaxy’s Edge) for our 3 year old (lost one shoe and was denied entry to Alien Swirling, one of two rides she could go on).

So even taking things slow at HS can be hectic
I remember when they used to have the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. That was SO fun, and a nice little break!

If you remember the paper fastpass days, selecting a G+ is no different. Back then you had to cross the park to pull a paper fastpass and then cross the park for your return time. I was more of a Disneyland vet back then, but rides like Radiator Springs Racers had 20 minute waits just to pull a paper fastpass. Maxpass and now G+ now allow you to book on your phone without going to the attraction first. This is a big advantage over paper fastpasses. Plus you can refresh for better times. The “strategy” that you need to “study” is no different than the paper fastpass era. This is how it worked for almost 20 years in Disneyland and how it worked in WDW until FP+.

While I agree that FP+ was ideal for uber planners since they could select the times of day for their first three attractions in advance and can plan their time in the park to the minute, and it gave a huge advantage to resort guests to book at 60 days, Disney has come right out and said that one of the reasons for G+ is that some (not sure if most, all, or very little), didn’t want to plan every second of their time and want to be flexible with their plans. G+ certainly puts planners and last minute guests on the same playing field day-of. And I think that was one of Disney’s intentions. But I also think they got an earful from the planners, which is why they announced recently that starting in 2024, guests will be able to pre-book certain G+ selections in advance (we’ll have to see).

Some people think a relaxing vacation is showing up at the park and going with the flow a-la G+, while others thinks a relaxing vacation needs to be planned. Everyone is different.

I had no issues standing in lines like FOP or SDMT for 60 mins with our teen. When are you going?

We are going 10/31 to MNSSHP so I was doing some research. Lines at MNSSHP are long (3-4 hrs to meet Jack & Sally at 4 pm because APs are allowed to line up at 2 pm). This is in Aug.
We are going to the party on October 15

If you remember the paper fastpass days, selecting a G+ is no different. Back then you had to cross the park to pull a paper fastpass and then cross the park for your return time. I was more of a Disneyland vet back then, but rides like Radiator Springs Racers had 20 minute waits just to pull a paper fastpass. Maxpass and now G+ now allow you to book on your phone without going to the attraction first. This is a big advantage over paper fastpasses. Plus you can refresh for better times. The “strategy” that you need to “study” is no different than the paper fastpass era. This is how it worked for almost 20 years in Disneyland and how it worked in WDW until FP+.

While I agree that FP+ was ideal for uber planners since they could select the times of day for their first three attractions in advance and can plan their time in the park to the minute, and it gave a huge advantage to resort guests to book at 60 days, Disney has come right out and said that one of the reasons for G+ is that some (not sure if most, all, or very little), didn’t want to plan every second of their time and want to be flexible with their plans. G+ certainly puts planners and last minute guests on the same playing field day-of. And I think that was one of Disney’s intentions. But I also think they got an earful from the planners, which is why they announced recently that starting in 2024, guests will be able to pre-book certain G+ selections in advance (we’ll have to see).

Some people think a relaxing vacation is showing up at the park and going with the flow a-la G+, while others thinks a relaxing vacation needs to be planned. Everyone is different.
I think they should offer both options. They can calculate the percentage of day of APs and offer Genie+ after 2 pm for a variable price (they already don’t need park passes after 2 pm) AND offer pre booking 4-5 Genie+ premium LLs for guests who are planners (out of state resort guests $$$ they’re trying to attract - personally hated tiers, but Genie+ is more painful).

To build goodwill they should bring back extra magic hours by shutting down parks at 9pm for all resort guests (opposite deluxe guests). That cuts down on planning and can be scheduled on days that don’t have After hours events (should continue).

With the recession looming, Disney needs to keep the guests coming, hence all the deals and dining plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter