Trip with teenager

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done a ABD trip with an older teenager (16 or 17)? I am thinking about trying to take my nephew on a trip next year and I was looking at the ABD trips. I am also looking at other tours but my concern is that the average age on most tours (out of the country) tends to be fairly high. My ABD concern is that there wouldn't be other kids his age.

Of course, nothing may come of this. I may not find anything that interests both of us or he may decide that a vacation with his aunt is just too boring. :lmao:

We've done 2 ABD tours so far. Our oldest teen is 15 (close to 16) and had a number of kids her age on this year's Costa Rica tour. I don't believe there were any teens older than 16. On last year's London/Paris tour we had at least one 17 year-old in the group and a number in the 13-15 bracket. In all this, the teens did not seem to have any 'fitting in' issues and also seemed to form their own gang for the duration of the tour. I've never seen a teen *not* have a good time on an ABD tour. ;)

We just got back from Southwest Splendors on Sunday. We had 37 people on our tour. 15 were adults. In addition, we had our dd19, and there was another girl who was 18 years old on the trip. There were 8 kids in the 15-17 year range (4 boys, 4 girls). The other 12 were kids aged 6-14. The teenagers had a blast. Everyone got along beautifully and bonded across age groups. My dd6 was by far the youngest(next up from her was my ds9) and all the teens and preteens were great about including her. I would so recommend an ABD. Your nephew will love it and there is no way he would be bored. My kids agreed it was our best vacation ever!

jenbadeaux and KLondon, thanks! Now of course, I just have to figure out which tour to do and see if he wants to go.

We are doing Viva Italia beginning June 28th and our son will be newly 16...love to have another teenager on board :cool1:

I am doing Viva Italia on June 11, 2009 with my son, who will be 15 1/2 at the time. He's very excited and I haven't really given much thought to what the make-up of our group might be. I think he's happy to get a break from his three sisters, who we are leaving at home!!!

My dd and I just got back from the Viva Italia trip as a special "sweet 16" birthday gift - and we both had a blast! The surprise was the other teens on the trip - for some reason I hadn't really thought about that part - but there was a 17 yr old, 2 other 16 yr olds, two 15 year olds and two 13/14 yr olds - by Tuscany they had all "bonded" eating at their own table for group meals when possible, and hanging out after dinner some nights - my dd loved it, and the other teens made it that much more special!

On our Sacred Valleys trip in June, there was an aunt and neice pair. The trip was a graduation present from the aunt, the neice was 17 or 18. It seemed like a good trip for them. The teen could be with the other kids when she wanted, but the guides always offered her the option to do the adult stuff as well.

We are going on the Knights & Lights trip June 22, 2009. I will have my two 18 year old daughters with me. I hope there are more teens/young adults as well.

I am turning 16 in October and on both ABD trips I have taken, there have always been kids my age and older. He'll be more than fine. He'll have a blast, I guarantee it.

Thanks everyone! Now I just need to see if he is really interested and then figure out where he wants to go.

I am 18 and just returned from Alpine Magic. Our group was small about 22 people. But there was another girl who was 18 and a 17 year old boy also onthe trip. We had a great time

On our trip last year, there was an aunt/niece pair who had a blast. This was a high school graduation gift for the niece. She did well with bouncing back and forth between the kids and the adults and really had a lot of fun.

On our trip this year, there was a 17 yo girl and the next oldest was a 15 yo boy. The boy had a great time and spend most of the trip with the adults. The girl made it clear she was just along b/c she had to be and stated at the farewell dinner that her favorite parts of the trip were when she had cell phone reception.

So it depends on your nephew. The trips are great though, and if he's up for a good time with his aunt, he'll love it.

The girl made it clear she was just along b/c she had to be and stated at the farewell dinner that her favorite parts of the trip were when she had cell phone reception.
Oh, now that's just sad. Typical, but sad...

Sayhello

The young man was the greatest kid, though. He was so appreciative of his dad taking him on the trip, so helpful to the younger kids. Had an easy manner with everyone there. I know his dad must be proud of him and I hope my daughter was taking notes!

The young man was the greatest kid, though. He was so appreciative of his dad taking him on the trip, so helpful to the younger kids. Had an easy manner with everyone there. I know his dad must be proud of him and I hope my daughter was taking notes!
Now that is good to hear! :thumbsup2 More kids should be like that!

Sayhello

I am 18 and just returned from Alpine Magic. Our group was small about 22 people. But there was another girl who was 18 and a 17 year old boy also onthe trip. We had a great time

Awesome! Now just to convince him to go on one.

What a great young man! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter