Trip was a success!!!

G&J's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

We just got back yesterday from our first trip and I thought I would give a report.

DD 4 has suspected Autism although never diagnosed, but I know better, cause my nephew is autistic. She did really wonderful for the most part. I took all your advice to heart and it worked out well. THANK YOU!!! We had one big meltdown and a couple of mini ones, but I was able to take her aside or remove her from the situation and resolve the issues and return to the fun.

She did not do well with The Little Mermaid show and finally did outdoor shows only towards the end of the trip. We did not even make it 2 minutes into that show before she lost it. We went outside had a mickey bar and she was fine after a short time.

I took the advice and got a GAC. It was so wonderful to have, because I realized immediately that she was only good for about a 15 minute wait and that was pushing it. We took advantage of FP where we could, but without the GAC, we would have not been able to ride on some rides that she wanted to go on, like Dumbo.

She loved the characters, and would run up and hug them and jump up and down and flap her hands. Alot of the characters did it back, and she just giggled. It melted my heart. :p

Only downside was my emergency room trip on our first night with 2 year old DS who fell in the Contemporary and had to have 2 stitches in his lip :rolleyes:

We had a wonderful time and plan to go back in December.

Thanks again for talking me into not cancelling!

Denise

Denise, I am so glad ya'll went and had a great time. Sounds like you have some wonderful memories from that trip!

Well, that is good news! Glad to hear it worked out well.

Now you can start doing the calculations as to whether APs or buying into DVC are worth it (they were for us; my DS is royalty @WDW and loves every minute!)

Hello! Glad to hear you had a memorable trip! :)

Was wondering how you handled your "exits" at shows? Did you warn a CM ahead of time?

We are going to WDW soon with DS age 3 (also suspected autism - being evaluated August) and am wondering how to get him out of places if need be with the least amount of problem. Would love your insight. THANKS!!!

Melanie

Originally posted by admepo

Was wondering how you handled your "exits" at shows? Did you warn a CM ahead of time?

We are going to WDW soon with DS age 3 (also suspected autism - being evaluated August) and am wondering how to get him out of places if need be with the least amount of problem. Would love your insight. THANKS!!!

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I did not warn the cm's ahead of time, because I just did not know what was going to set her off if anything and when or where. What I did do and what was very helpful, was make sure I knew where the closest exit doors were when we entered "anywhere", and tried to keep as close to it as reasonably possible. We pretty much stuck to outdoor shows after the Mermaid incident and sat closest to the exits even still. Dd was fine with that and it worked out great. The poor cm's were at the exit doors in each case and saw my child running at them in near hysterics, so they had noooo problem helping me out of the building in record speed. ;) They were really great about it.

I hope this helps. If I can help you further, let me know.

Denise

So pleased you had a great time. It's lovely to hear about your DD and the characters she met. I'm wondering if my DS (5) who has autistic spectrum disorder will be a bit more relaxed with them next time. Last year (he was 3) he was somewhere between terrified and wary, depending on the character, though at the end of the holiday we had a Crystal Palace character lunch, and he chased Pooh and bounced with Tigger. That's my favourite memory, I think. He loves looking at the photos 18 months later.

I didn't see your "return report" unitl now. Glad to hear you had a good time and everything (well, almost everything worked out well).
For the question about exits:
For rides, there are usually some marked exits along the queue route. If you don't see one, look for a CM. Once you have boarded the ride, you are stuck on the ride until you get to the end.
For shows, the exits are usually well marked. In most of the indoor theaters, you enter on one side the building along the rows of seats. The exits are almost always straight across from the entrance, on the other side of the row. So, if you want to be convenient to the exit, go all the way across the row and sit on the end of the row opposite from where you came in.
For outdoor shows, you usually can exit at or close to where you entered the seating area. There are usually additional exits also.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Once you have boarded the ride, you are stuck on the ride until you get to the end.

I am going on my wish trip towards the end of this month and I have a question about the statement you made above.

I have restrictions on mobility and leg function, since I wear a full-length rigid leg/knee/foot brace and use crutches for short distances. I walk straight-legged with my left leg because of the brace and can only unlock the brace to bend it a bit after I sit down.

That being said, I want to go on as many rides as possible, but it all depends on the different ride vehicles and legroom, as well as how to enter onto the ride vehicle (since I can't really step over a barrier into a vehicle, such as going into the bathtub... I need more of an open path), if I'm going without the wheelchair. I've seen some pictures of ride vehicles posted on allearsnet.com but are there any for more popular rides, such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc., anywhere else on the Web?

Anyways, because of these conditions, I'd need to go into the ride are and try and board the rides I would like to go on, but if I find it's uncomfortable or not possible to fit my leg in the space, I'd need to get off before the ride starts? How would I go about trying and doing this? Would I really need to tell the CM each time at each ride because I sort of feel embarrassed doing that> Can I just try and get in a vehicle with family help and if I can't, just proceed to the exit and wait for my family there... all going unnoticed by everyone except my family?

Any help would be appreciated, especially regarding pictures of various ride vehicles and any tips on various rides (best seats, best cars, etc.) and any rides that would be major problems for me.

Thanks,

~Angel~

That being said, I want to go on as many rides as possible, but it all depends on the different ride vehicles and legroom, as well as how to enter onto the ride vehicle (since I can't really step over a barrier into a vehicle, such as going into the bathtub... I need more of an open path), if I'm going without the wheelchair. I've seen some pictures of ride vehicles posted on allearsnet.com but are there any for more popular rides, such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc., anywhere else on the Web?
There's information about Splash Mountain on
this page on the DIS site (wdwinfo.com)_ If you click on the ride info link, there are a couple of pictures of the ride logs. They are not easy to get in. We have lifted our DD in, but it's higher than a bathtub and once you get in, it's a pretty tight fit.

There aren't a lot of photos of the inside of Space Mountain, but I found one that was someone's

web page of their trip to WDW in Jan. 2004. It includes a reaaly good picture of their family right after boarding Space Mountain and also a picture of them on Test Track.

Here's a link to a past DIS Board thread about boarding rides that might be helpful.
Also, Disney used to have a list on their official website of which rides had room for a full leg cast. They removed that a while ago (I think they might not have wanted to look like they were encouraging people with full leg casts to go on some of the rides). If you stop at Guest Services in each park, they might have some information they could give you about which rides would meet your needs. The CMs at the ride entrance can also give you some information (no one wants to wait in line for a ride they won't be able to go on). You can get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. It does give some basic info about each ride, but unless they have reprinted them since we were at WDW in March, it doesn't give the rather specific type of info you need.
If you are traveling with a wheelchair or ecv, you probably won't need a Guest Assistance Card, but if you don't have a wheelchair, the Guest Assistance Card would be helpful because you could board rides at the wheelchair accessible area, which usually allows more time and space for boarding. It also allow moving walkway rides to be slowed or stopped for boarding. The best setup for your type of situation is to be able to board at the accessible area, so don't feel embarrassed or anything about making use of it. If you get on at the regular boarding area, you would pretty much be on with no special assistance and have to stay on until the end. If you are using the accessible areas, they won't move the car until you are in and OK.
REMEMBERED AFTER I POSTED THIS: You said you are going on a WISH trip, so you will in all likelyhood have a WISH Guest Assistance Card. This would give you all the Special Assistance you would need.
Here's a link to the disabilities info from the official Disney website. The information available there is pretty much what is in the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities.

Originally posted by AngelStar

Anyways, because of these conditions, I'd need to go into the ride are and try and board the rides I would like to go on, but if I find it's uncomfortable or not possible to fit my leg in the space, I'd need to get off before the ride starts? How would I go about trying and doing this? Would I really need to tell the CM each time at each ride because I sort of feel embarrassed doing that> Can I just try and get in a vehicle with family help and if I can't, just proceed to the exit and wait for my family there... all going unnoticed by everyone except my family?

Hi Angel,

I hope others can offer you more info on Space and Splash Mountain, but all the rides that I went on recently, with the exception of the Tea Cups (barely fit), seemed to have plenty of leg room. I didn't feel cramped at all.

In a couple of instances when DH, DS, DD and I got to the front of a ride and DD started to get anxious and decided not to ride and the exits were not in sight, I informed the CM, and they took me to an area at the end of the ride to wait for DH and DS. I think the bigger and faster rides probably have chicken exits I assume where you could leave unnoticed. I know RNR did. I don't think you should feel embarrassed if you need assistance. The CM's I experienced were more than happy to help.

Take care!

Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter