Trip review - 10/31-11/2, Genie+ complaints/meh.

lcp9

DIS Veteran
We typically visit DLR this same week every year and have since maybe 2014?

1. The day of Halloween, on a weekday, is one of the best days to go IMO. Locals have other stuff going on, visitors don't want to pay for a ticket if they're going to be kicked out early. It has consistenly been a great day for us. Standby waits were <30 mins for most rides most of the day except RSR. Tuesday and Wednesday 11/1 - 11/2 were much more crowded for no particular reason.

2. Genie+ is a worse value than I expected and I didn't expect very much. In the mornings, it's unnecessary because waits are low. In the afternoon, waits are pushed out considerably. Combined with the parkhopping rule of 1pm, this absolutely sucks. By the time we could parkhop and book Genie+ at 1pm for the other park, Genie+ times were already at 5-6pm. Many of our Genie+ went unused for our afternoon parks because it wasn't logistically possible to use them.

3. The ILL is such an eyeroll. RSR was at 120 minutes at multiple times of days and that effectively eliminates people with kids 6 and under (who are the primary consumers/target audience of the Cars movies.) We would have not been able to ride this without a DAS which would have been super disappointing to my 3 boys. Yes, I could have paid the $20/person ILL but I refuse on principle after having paid $400/ticket for 6 people. ****not to mention RSR was down for a considerable amount of our trip, including the mornings which is the only remotely accessible time without ILL***

4. The number of closed rides should be embarrassing for Disney. We only rode matterhorn once and it wasn't for lack of trying. 4 times in a row over the course of 3 days I booked genie+ and all 4 times LL eventually converted to MEP. Hard to use the MEP on matterhorn later when it just broke down again. There was a time in DCA when we had 4 rides left, and all 4 were down (incredicoaster, goofy's sky school, swings, TSMM.) I mean...it's just ridiculous.

5. Very few characters out. Super weird. My kids are kind of out of the character stage so it's wasn't that big a deal to us, but it was weird. If I had a little kid who was invested in meeting all the princesses we would have been very disappointed.

6. I do give Disney credit for keeping Halloween Screams at DL despite the OBB going on at DCA. However, there weren't any parades or other nighttime stuff the rest of the week. My kids love the parades (soundsational??) and this is kind of sad.

Unpopular opinion, we're kind of over it all. Even considering our experience in planning the day's strategy, we still would have been very limited in getting on rides due to closures and super extended waits if it wasn't for my son's DAS. We paid $2495 for 3 days excluding flights/hotel/food and frankly, my kids would have had an equally good time in Mexico which would have been the same price or less.

Another unpopular opinion, I know there are people there who have saved for years to afford a vacation like that, and it makes me kind of sick to think they're getting on a few rides and that's it. Disney is becoming an experience for the affluent, but it's not even a fantastic experience in light of that. I would be willing to pay a lot more for tickets if I knew rides would be working, there would be parades, I could expect to not have to wait hours for rides, and NOS wouldn't be a mosh pit.

Anyway. Maybe it's still a good experience for some people who don't remember the good days. It has just declined so significantly from 10 years ago - my husband and I remember being super impressed. We're done for a while though I think!

A couple interesting pieces of data:

I do like touring plans not necessarily for their predictions, but their historical measurements. From a 1-10, here are their crowd levels for our trip:

10/31 - DL 2, DCA 2
11/1 - DL 9, DCA 6
11/2 - DL 8, DCA 7

Crazy to me that DL would be a 9/10 on a random Tuesday.

Additionally, they have data on number of rides offline. On Wednesday Nov 2, approximately 12% of DCA rides were offline. TWELVE. that's insane, on a day that rated a 7/10 based on wait times.

Totally agree with your assessment. We’ve been here for the last 10 days, with 5 different families joining us on various days. All 5 families were either first time visitors or first time as adults with kids visitors. While everyone had a good time, they all said they wouldn’t come back. They felt like it was not different enough from other theme parks or magical enough to justify the cost. These are probably the families Disney wants too - they stay onsite, buy Genie+ and ILL, pay for character meals, reserved seating dining, etc. But it’s the policy changes/enforcement that lead to feelings of gauging and stinginess that made all our friends say they wouldn’t return.

There was a 2.5YO in our group that went to Oogie Boogie and they wouldn’t give him a treat bag. A literal plastic bag. Because he didn’t have a ticket. Didn’t really matter as he went trick or treating anyways but he felt left out in the moment and all the adults were shocked. It wasn’t the CMs fault, she seemed genuinely sorry. Just another policy change/enforcement (our kids have always recieved bags in the past regardless of age) that leaves a bad taste in the mouth and makes it awkward for CMs.

Same thing at World of Color, the 2.5 yo didn’t get a glow cup. And at the princess breakfast.

None of these things are the CMs fault but they were left to deal with irritated parents and Disney has lost 5 families, possibly forever. Over such small things. Not that it matters since the parks are crowded, but one day, it might matter.

Anyways, we’re pretty over it too. Disney FEELS greedy and stingy. I get they’re a business. But this isn’t good business sense. Already cancelled our December trip. It’s just not worth the money anymore, even for “affluent” families.

Totally agree with your assessment. We’ve been here for the last 10 days, with 5 different families joining us on various days. All 5 families were either first time visitors or first time as adults with kids visitors. While everyone had a good time, they all said they wouldn’t come back. They felt like it was not different enough from other theme parks or magical enough to justify the cost. These are probably the families Disney wants too - they stay onsite, buy Genie+ and ILL, pay for character meals, reserved seating dining, etc. But it’s the policy changes/enforcement that lead to feelings of gauging and stinginess that made all our friends say they wouldn’t return.

There was a 2.5YO in our group that went to Oogie Boogie and they wouldn’t give him a treat bag. A literal plastic bag. Because he didn’t have a ticket. Didn’t really matter as he went trick or treating anyways but he felt left out in the moment and all the adults were shocked. It wasn’t the CMs fault, she seemed genuinely sorry. Just another policy change/enforcement (our kids have always recieved bags in the past regardless of age) that leaves a bad taste in the mouth and makes it awkward for CMs.

Same thing at World of Color, the 2.5 yo didn’t get a glow cup. And at the princess breakfast.

None of these things are the CMs fault but they were left to deal with irritated parents and Disney has lost 5 families, possibly forever. Over such small things. Not that it matters since the parks are crowded, but one day, it might matter.

Anyways, we’re pretty over it too. Disney FEELS greedy and stingy. I get they’re a business. But this isn’t good business sense. Already cancelled our December trip. It’s just not worth the money anymore, even for “affluent” families.
seriously? the bag? come on. We went to the party at DLR back in 2018? 2019? and they were definitely handing out bags to my under 3 kids. That's insane.

character meals is something else I missed. We paid $331 for the 6 of us and my husband gets more furious about it every time I make him go. this time we had 3 characters - goofy, chip, minnie - and only chip and minnie stopped by, briefly. Not a $331 experience because the food definitely isn't 5 star!

To everyone having these sub-par experiences at Disney - please be sure to write/email Disney and let them know of your experience and why you/your friends will not be returning. Disney refuses to believe people are unhappy with the changes they've made unless they hear how these changes are negatively affecting people's trips.

Your report/visit sounds exactly like our visit from a week or two back (10/23-10-26). We average one trip per year and this latest was the worst we've ever had sadly. Sunday and Monday were very, very busy but JUST manageable with Genie+. Oogie Party on Tues was a first for us and the highlight by far of the trip. Should have ended there but we had one more day (Wed) at DL. We had hoped that a midweek day would be slower than Sun/Mon but instead it was far worse. Insanely high crowd levels to where you could barely even move through some of the bottleneck areas.

So even with Genie+ we couldn't really get on anything that day so my daughter spent $50 on her gift card to get me and her on Rise so we could at least ride SOMETHING. But of course that went down right at our time and after trying for the next couple hours we finally gave up and left the parks completely at 3 or so. Really sucks that it has come to this but it just feels like they are now coasting on all the decades of good-will and nostalgia they have built up with people over the years. But that has a limit and many families are hitting it. :(

OP, you call your opinions "unpopular", but I don't necessarily think they are. There is definitely a growing sentiment that the experience isn't matching the price tag, on both coasts. After 11 years of annual trips, I left DL two weeks ago and had no desire to plan another trip. I've never felt that way before, it's sad, really.
Same thing at World of Color, the 2.5 yo didn’t get a glow cup
My almost 14 yr old daughter and I were sharing a table with another mother/ 9 yr old daughter duo. After serving our drinks, the server came back out with empty glow cups for both of the girls. I could hardly believe they'd give my daughter one after the reports I'd read here. I think it most definitely depends on the server. We were there on a cold, miserable night after a surprise downpour, so maybe they were trying to make up for the fact we had to sit on soggy chairs. Whatever the reason, I was shocked, but appreciative.

1. The day of Halloween, on a weekday, is one of the best days to go IMO. Locals have other stuff going on, visitors don't want to pay for a ticket if they're going to be kicked out early. It has consistenly been a great day for us. Standby waits were <30 mins for most rides most of the day except RSR. Tuesday and Wednesday 11/1 - 11/2 were much more crowded for no particular reason.

2. Genie+ is a worse value than I expected and I didn't expect very much. In the mornings, it's unnecessary because waits are low. In the afternoon, waits are pushed out considerably. Combined with the parkhopping rule of 1pm, this absolutely sucks. By the time we could parkhop and book Genie+ at 1pm for the other park, Genie+ times were already at 5-6pm. Many of our Genie+ went unused for our afternoon parks because it wasn't logistically possible to use them.

3. The ILL is such an eyeroll. RSR was at 120 minutes at multiple times of days and that effectively eliminates people with kids 6 and under (who are the primary consumers/target audience of the Cars movies.) We would have not been able to ride this without a DAS which would have been super disappointing to my 3 boys. Yes, I could have paid the $20/person ILL but I refuse on principle after having paid $400/ticket for 6 people. ****not to mention RSR was down for a considerable amount of our trip, including the mornings which is the only remotely accessible time without ILL***

4. The number of closed rides should be embarrassing for Disney. We only rode matterhorn once and it wasn't for lack of trying. 4 times in a row over the course of 3 days I booked genie+ and all 4 times LL eventually converted to MEP. Hard to use the MEP on matterhorn later when it just broke down again. There was a time in DCA when we had 4 rides left, and all 4 were down (incredicoaster, goofy's sky school, swings, TSMM.) I mean...it's just ridiculous.

5. Very few characters out. Super weird. My kids are kind of out of the character stage so it's wasn't that big a deal to us, but it was weird. If I had a little kid who was invested in meeting all the princesses we would have been very disappointed.

6. I do give Disney credit for keeping Halloween Screams at DL despite the OBB going on at DCA. However, there weren't any parades or other nighttime stuff the rest of the week. My kids love the parades (soundsational??) and this is kind of sad.

Unpopular opinion, we're kind of over it all. Even considering our experience in planning the day's strategy, we still would have been very limited in getting on rides due to closures and super extended waits if it wasn't for my son's DAS. We paid $2495 for 3 days excluding flights/hotel/food and frankly, my kids would have had an equally good time in Mexico which would have been the same price or less.

Another unpopular opinion, I know there are people there who have saved for years to afford a vacation like that, and it makes me kind of sick to think they're getting on a few rides and that's it. Disney is becoming an experience for the affluent, but it's not even a fantastic experience in light of that. I would be willing to pay a lot more for tickets if I knew rides would be working, there would be parades, I could expect to not have to wait hours for rides, and NOS wouldn't be a mosh pit.

Anyway. Maybe it's still a good experience for some people who don't remember the good days. It has just declined so significantly from 10 years ago - my husband and I remember being super impressed. We're done for a while though I think!

I completely agree with your assessment…. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… we go because we’re locals. I wouldn’t spend what you spent to come here on vacation. We are also the type of family Disney would want… when we lived out of state, we stayed on property, did all dining onsite, multiple character meals, and we would now pay for genie + and LL. Not to mention all the souvenirs we would buy.

seriously? the bag? come on. We went to the party at DLR back in 2018? 2019? and they were definitely handing out bags to my under 3 kids. That's insane.

character meals is something else I missed. We paid $331 for the 6 of us and my husband gets more furious about it every time I make him go. this time we had 3 characters - goofy, chip, minnie - and only chip and minnie stopped by, briefly. Not a $331 experience because the food definitely isn't 5 star!
Right?? We went in 2019 and both my kids under 3 got bags. We did princess dining last year and my kid under 2 got a present along with my paying child. This is why it makes me feel it’s a crackdown/policy change. We had SEVERAL CMs in somewhat similar situations where they had to say no to something, and they’d look around and whisper “There’s always cameras on us”. It was always something small like the treat bag or when I offered to help an older CM open a bubble wand she was struggling with. It’s crazy and I feel terrible for the CMs.
To everyone having these sub-par experiences at Disney - please be sure to write/email Disney and let them know of your experience and why you/your friends will not be returning. Disney refuses to believe people are unhappy with the changes they've made unless they hear how these changes are negatively affecting people's trips.
Definitely did. They might not care now but they will one day :/

Sorry it was kind of a bummer with the rides down and that Genie+ wasn't a very good value. We have 8 of us going the end of this month for 3 days ( 4 that have never been). My Great- Nephew might have DAS, how does that work with those of us that have Genie+ for getting on the rides at the same time?

A couple interesting pieces of data:

I do like touring plans not necessarily for their predictions, but their historical measurements. From a 1-10, here are their crowd levels for our trip:

10/31 - DL 2, DCA 2
11/1 - DL 9, DCA 6
11/2 - DL 8, DCA 7

Crazy to me that DL would be a 9/10 on a random Tuesday.

Additionally, they have data on number of rides offline. On Wednesday Nov 2, approximately 12% of DCA rides were offline. TWELVE. that's insane, on a day that rated a 7/10 based on wait times.
Mondays and Tuesdays tend to be busy because it’s much less expensive to go that day (tier 1 or 2) but on that particular Tuesday 11/1 I can share that the Capistrano Unified School District in Orange County had the day off school, so I imagine that could have contributed.

Although I went 11/1 last year (CUSD had the day off as well) and it was DEAD. This year is just so much busier than last year.

Sorry it was kind of a bummer with the rides down and that Genie+ wasn't a very good value. We have 8 of us going the end of this month for 3 days ( 4 that have never been). My Great- Nephew might have DAS, how does that work with those of us that have Genie+ for getting on the rides at the same time?
DAS was really the saving grace of our trip which makes me feel terrible because it shouldn't feel like an advantage. We absolutely got on rides that we wouldn't have been able to because of it though, and when we integrated that with genie+ it made for fairly productive days.

Genie+ and DAS are two totally different systems and you can hold both at the same time.

1. Genie+: book based on available windows on the app, you get an hour to go, you can book a new one as soon as you use yours or 2 hours passes, whichever is first

2. DAS: book based on current wait times. Wait time at RSR is 45 mins, you book a DAS return from the app 45 minutes from now. It is good from the return time to the end of the day, you book a new one once you use the current one.

Lightning lanes with Genie+ were sometimes still relatively long for a fastpass you pay for - for GOTG we waited 20-30 most rides. RSR was probably 15-20 mins. Obviously much faster than standby (although sometimes the LL for guardians was about the same as standby!) but definitely not an immediate return.

Where DAS is most useful (for us) was the non-LL rides. Something like Peter Pan - we (my son, who was the DAS holder) would never be able to wait the consistent 30-45 minute wait. Same with Dumbo - a consistenly 30+ min wait except for very early morning. With DAS, you go through the exit and are on fairly quickly.

So all that said, we would book a Genie+ that may be an hour or so out, and then ride non-LL rides with DAS in close proximity with relatively quick return times.

Anyway, they are completely separate systems and with a little planning definitely help keep the day moving.

We felt the same way after our July trip. 8 trips from Canada in 11 years and now we are not planning another (we have always been at least planning another!). Sorry your experience wasn't better but this is the norm.

Mondays and Tuesdays tend to be busy because it’s much less expensive to go that day (tier 1 or 2) but on that particular Tuesday 11/1 I can share that the Capistrano Unified School District in Orange County had the day off school, so I imagine that could have contributed.

Although I went 11/1 last year (CUSD had the day off as well) and it was DEAD. This year is just so much busier than last year.

oh - that makes sense. Yes the days after Halloween have typically been pretty slow for us so it caught me by surprise this year! Interestingly, it didn't feel THAT much more crowded on Tues/Wed (which says more about how many people were there on Halloween than anything else - certain areas were hip to hip people) but ride times were significantly worse on Tues/Wed.

you are so right, thanks for reminding me!

I'm sorry your trip was disappointing. That amount of ride closures is just ridiculous. I'm glad Halloween was fun, at least.

I think that going during the Halloween season has become a less than ideal experience for all of the reasons you've mentioned. I know that our family isn't planning on going at that time of year again and we've tried a couple of times now.

DAS was really the saving grace of our trip which makes me feel terrible because it shouldn't feel like an advantage. We absolutely got on rides that we wouldn't have been able to because of it though, and when we integrated that with genie+ it made for fairly productive days.

I don't think you need to feel terrible. If you soon needs/is eligible for DAS, there is nothing wrong with using it and you have no reason to feel guilty. It's the equivilant of someone in a wheelchair using the parking space reserved for people in wheelchairs. You are using the system the way it was supposed to be used.

I think that going during the Halloween season has become a less than ideal experience for all of the reasons you've mentioned. I know that our family isn't planning on going at that time of year again and we've tried a couple of times now.

True, it's just that it is impossible to figure out when would be a good time these days. Halloween time is crazy busy, Thanksgiving through New Years is crazy, spring break time is crazy, summer is crazy, etc. In the past you could at least use the crowd calendars to get a good idea in advance, but now with the reservation system I think it is a complete guess/gamble no matter when you go.

That's the thing though - historically after Halloween has been great for us! And the day of Halloween was still really good, minimal standby waits relatively speaking. It was the Nov 1/2 that were particularly awful - fall breaks were over, Halloween decor was down, parties were over, zero nighttime entertainment...super weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter