Trip report: the meh, the good, and the great!!!

Bossy22

DIS Veteran
Just got back with my family from 5 days in the parks!!! It was a great time, definitely my happy place!!!

The first meh. We drove for about 23 hours (driving time, not counting stops) from Canada down. The drive is fairly pretty but boys is it long. The good, our kids travel great! Lots of activities, games and movies!!!

Hotel: Our hotel was definitely a good, maybe even a great!!! We stayed at Desert Inn and Suites and love the hotel!!! The proximity to the park can't be beat, the price is amazing (especially if you book early) and the hotel and management were all great as well. The only meh was having to wait right till 3 for check in but that was all. The pool was refreshingly cold, hot tub nice and warm, beds were very comfy, room was pretty quiet. Not much could of been better. The breakfast was great too. Kids had toast and cereal every morning which was great, Adults had bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs and everyone had fresh apples and oranges which tasted great!!!

Next, park food. I'll start with the meh.

Hungry Bear: The chilicheese burgers were the worst food we had in the parks. My wife and mil said the salad and wraps were quite good though.

Carnation Cafe: The BLT sandwich with chips was amazing!!! Was worried about the avocado mayo but it was supurb. Everyone enjoyed their meal!

Plaza Inn: Fried chicken dinner, one of my favorite meals every time was great again!!! Had carrot cake for desert! Great meal and good value as we split!!!

Cafe Orleans: We all ordered pomme frites and gumbo!!! AAAAAMMMMMaaaazzzzing!!!! The only thing we would have done different would be to order less pomme frits as they are huge and we definitely could not finish one each as well as our bowl of gumbo!!!

Joe's Crab Shack!!! Although not at DL this was my favorite meal and on Sundays kids eat free so it was even cheaper than most of our family DL meals. Had the ragin Cajun steam pot and it was amazing!!!

Pizza Press: Great deal for amazing pizza, ate here twice. My daughter (a somewhat picky eater) said it was the best pizza in the universe!!!

McDonalds: sometimes cheap is good but boys is it busy. Any Canadians notice that the big macs taste different?

Overall, the food was amazing. Also loved the dole whip while we watched tiki show, and I can't go to disneyland without a chocolate covered pineapple spear!!! My girls loved the popcorn as well!!!

Rides: Our kids were older this time (6, 5 and a 1.5) so the rides were different. We still did the dumbo, etc but we did the fast rides a tonne. Using fast passes and child swap we got to ride and tonne and the kids got to ride even more. On one day we probably rode Big Thunder 6 times, splash mountain 3 times, space mountain twice, as well as a tonne of smaller rides as well. I still personally love grizzly river run and buzz, my kids loved space and big thunder and splash, my littlest love small world!!! Rides were great and we fit tonnes in!!!

Shows: My kids as well as myself really enjoyed the Frozen Spectacular and Mickey and the Magic Map. We also did Turtle talk, animation academy, and a few others.

Any questions, feel free to ask!!!

Sounds like a nice time.
What was it about the chili burger that you didn't like? (I've never had one).

We adore Desert Inn & Suites as well, have stayed there on our last four trips. You can't beat that short walk!

I've never heard anyone else freak out over the chocolate covered pineapple spears! I know others must be eating them, since they're always there, but I don't recall hearing anyone enthuse on here about 'em. My favorite!

Thanks for a fun TR!

Thanks for posting your review! We're staying at the Desert Inn & Suites for the first time, so it's nice to hear feedback from someone who has had a recent stay. I don't remember seeing chocolate covered pineapple spears but I'm definitely going to look for them in September! Where do you get them?

I've never seen the chocolate covered pineapple either! My daughter would love one!

It truly was magical!!! The chocolate pineapple spears can be had at the chocolate place on main street or if your desperate the chocolate place at downtown disney. I also forgot to mention the most magical moment of all. My two oldest are both aboriginal and love pocohontos, we met her for the first time!!!
The chiliburger was just meh, it wasn't terrible, it was just meh. I found the chili only ok and the burger itself was just meh.

They only had her on the Saturday by big thunder ranch area, she was only out for a short time but they said they were hoping it would be more regular in awhile. She was really beautiful and great with the kids!!!

Yum! Chocolate pineapple spears! Love them =) You can get them at the Candy store in DCA too!

Sounds like you had an amazing trip!!

Pizza Press: Great deal for amazing pizza, ate here twice. My daughter (a somewhat picky eater) said it was the best pizza in the universe!!!

DS calls the place Pizza PERFECT. We ate there the first week or so they opened, and they were delicious then, too! Fabulous place.

McDonalds: sometimes cheap is good but boys is it busy. Any Canadians notice that the big macs taste different?

I don't eat McD's, but it's not a surprise. Americans do weird things to food that most of the rest of the world doesn't. An Irish friend of ours says it takes him a week here to get used to how *sweet* every food is here. Even bread, he says, is umpteen times sweeter than elsewhere.

And yes, ingredients can be different from country to country.

Just got back with my family from 5 days in the parks!!! It was a great time, definitely my happy place!!!

Hungry Bear: The chilicheese burgers were the worst food we had in the parks. My wife and mil said the salad and wraps were quite good though.

Any questions, feel free to ask!!!

My adults sons HATED the chili-cheeseburgers at Hungry Bear.Overpriced and nasty. They were both extremely hungry and wouldn't touch them. The Turkey-Strawberry salad I had there was pretty good though (but expensive as well).

I don't know why people knock McD's - if you don't want the tasty fattening stuff; their grilled chicken sandwich is not bad tasting, inexpensive, and fairly healthy.

Not many "treats" are must have for us. Dole whips (the float actually) and chocolate covered pineapple spears are my two must haves. My daughters loved the popcorn but their palate is debatable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter