Trip Report - Our First Trip to FW

Hi Russ, thanks for posting. We are new to TT camping too (our 1st year) but found we love it so much that I've been able to talk DH into a stay at the Fort next Aug! I've been a long time lurker and was able to use so many ideas from this thread when making our reservation! Thanks to all.

Your pictures have been very helpful in getting an idea of what the Fort looks like. Love the movie and sing along pictures. I can't wait to show my 2 DDs. They will be so excited!

THERE YOU ARE !!! We've been waiting for you !!
Welcome !

Okay Russ,,tell us more,,pleeeeasee !

esmom - Welcome and glad some of my Photos helped. We were already big fans of Disney, but up to this trip always stayed at one of Disney's resorts.

My first Trip was back in the mid 80's when my son was 6 (he's 30 now) and we were going usually twice a year until my son became a Teenager, in HS, then College and then Grad School. After I retired in April of 2006, I moved to FL from PA and in December of 2006 got re-married. Between me and my DW we have 3 adult children, my son 30, and my DW’s Daughter 34 and Son 36. So for our honeymoon in 2006, we decided to invite all our children (and their girlfriends/boyfriends at the time) to join us. Unfortunately work prevented my son and girlfriend from joining us in 2006, but my DW’s son and daughter did. We had a great time celebrating our special event and also enjoying the spirit of the Season at Disney. So we have been going back to Disney in December every year 2006. In fact we usually do two trips a year to Disney. Well last December my son and his girlfriend were able to join us for the Trip they were not able to make back in 2006. We had a great time with them and at a place we so enjoy. But now owning a camper (TT) we get to start a new journey and experience a new way to enjoy Disney – Fort Wilderness. So September was our 3rd trip in the TT and our 1st to FW. Being new to RVing and knowing I had a long TT (39’ ball to bumper), I did a lot of research on FW and the Loops in my attempt to find a Loop and site that ‘I’ was comfortable with. One of the resources I used was the Google Earth app that Shan-Man and some others put together (Thank you All) and it was a fantastic tool for me to help me make a choice on what Loop and site would work for me. So this new adventure begins for us – Camping at FW, and we had no idea what to expect from this transition from staying in resorts to a TT. Well, there is nothing like coming back from a park to your ‘Own Bed’ and your own space. As they say around here – We had a Magical Time!!!!

Frank – I don’t know what more to tell other than we can’t wait for a next Trip, our special traditional trip in December and this time we will also celebrate my DW’s retirement the end of this month. We are already booked from December 7th thru the 14th :yay: :santa: :yay: . The only thing that could change it is if my DW elects for the knee replacement surgery she need. While there is some benefits with age – retirement and a little freedom to travel, the downside is all those body parts we abused all those years getting here start to wear out and need repairs.

So we are ready for our December Trip ….. the only thing that would make it better would be if we had grandkids to share it with.

- Russ

disboard3(2).jpg

At the Rain Forest Cafe`

Denise, Frank thanks for the warm welcome. :love:

Russ, so glad you're enjoying your new rig. I have a DD3 and a DD6 who LOVE camping. Again, we have only been on local trips this year (2-7 days) but the girls are loving the "adventure". We don't bring TVs or electronic games (I know...terrible parents lol) and they have never asked about them.

They love climbing rocks, taking the map to lead me around the campground, building sand parks for ants and of course campfires. I love watching them enjoy nature. When you are able to take little ones (grandkids) along, you will fall in love with the camping experience all over again.

thanks sooo much for posting those fantastic photos. We're 30 days until we leave for the fort and it feels like forever so it helps to look at Fort Wilderness and know we'll be there soon.
Mo

Love the pics. So glad you had a good time. I cant wait for our first camping trip in March. Seems so far away but I know it will be here before I know it. I hope your Dec. trip is a good one too.

And OMG I never knew people lived there. That is crazy but I guess its the best and cheapest spot to live. I wouldndt mind living there.

Okay, we have been "considering" a trip to Disney in 2013. Now that I've seen your pictures, I'm doing a bit more than considering.

That's my friend Hilda, and she's been living at the fort since September 2009.

rgrimm said:
So it appeared that (and the CM driving the wagon ride indicated) there is a full time resident of FW – or at least they have been staying there for a few years. Is this true? If so, what a place to call home.

That's my friend Hilda, and she's been living at the fort since September 2009.

Wow!!! I really envy Hilda. What a place to live – Disney’s Fort Wilderness. I would love to know her ‘story’ … where she is from and what circumstances brought her to take of residence at Fort Wilderness.

Pretty special for sure.

- Russ

Okay, we have been "considering" a trip to Disney in 2013. Now that I've seen your pictures, I'm doing a bit more than considering.

:cheer2: Do it!
You will LOVE it!!! We are getting ready to make our second trip to the Fort in a couple of weeks and are already anticipating another. That place rocks!!!!

I think I should elaborate. We have been to Disney before. Actually, a fair amount of times. Problem is our last trip in 2008, was fabulous. I had a trip planned with all three daughters, my husband, and myself. Then my middle daughter asks if she can bring her boyfriend (who is now her husband, so glad I said yes to that). And, still later, one of my sisters asked if they could fly in and join us for five days. I said, sure, although we had never gone on a vacation with any of my sisters. And, believe it or not-EVERYTHING worked out great. Even the weather was nice enough for July/August.

And, then, last month another sister calls and suggests that all three sisters (that would include me) and any of our kids who could (and yes, even the husbands) should do a Disney get-together in 2013. Now, we are keeping it tentative, because a lot can happen with three sisters, three husbands, seven daughters, one son, one boyfriend, a son-in-law, and a grand daughter.

But, the more I look at these pictures that all of you keep posting, the more I am thinking, "What a great idea."

But, the more I look at these pictures that all of you keep posting, the more I am thinking, "What a great idea."

The Fort is Great, Disney is Great .... but the experience is even better when you can share those experiences, those moments, with Family.

Make those plans for your Family Trip ................ :grouphug:

-Russ

The Fort is Great, Disney is Great .... but the experience is even better when you can share those experiences, those moments, with Family.

Make those plans for your Family Trip ................ :grouphug:

-Russ[/QUOTE]

Well, now in my family-that depends on which part of the family you are talking about. :rolleyes1 Luckily, my sisters and I get along very well. I will say, during our 2008 trip we all got along wonderfully. Now, I will also say the group had a great leader (me). My sister decided that since I knew and loved Disney the best that everyone was going to take directions from me. I made sure to include naps and downtime, when we all went back to our respective locations. (I am the only one who camps-my sisters think I am nuts on this one.). My two daughters and the husband-to-be stayed at the cabins. And, my sister and her family were at the Poly. So, looks like this time we will be adding another family to the mix.

cruisin spud - okay .... I will change that .... Plan the Trip :surfweb: .... but ONLY invite those Family members that you know share your passion :) and leave the rest at home doing this :happytv:

- Russ

Thank you RGRIMM for a great trip report! You did a great job and I enjoyed reading the report.

the only thing that would make it better would be if we had grandkids to share it with.

There is nothing better than WDW with the GRANDKIDS. Those are my most favorite things in the world. We have a trip planned for March 2012 with the GK. :banana::yay::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter