Trip Report - just back part 3 of 3 (continued!)

nickglover

Mouseketeer
We had a grand time at DL - our first and perhaps only trip there, and under the circumstances we were grateful for the opportunity to go - I know opening the park meant so much to all the kids on vacation, but we really enjoyed it, too. You can only watch so much bad news on tv.

We had dinner that night at a small place on the corner of Katulla(?) and DisneyLand Drive right next to the Annabell Suites, I think. It was simple and ok - nice salads - like a Denny's or a Village Inn, but with an ice cream parlor.

Post-Disney:

Day 6 (Thursday) - we hoped beyond hope that the airport would open and we could fly home just a day later than scheduled, but it was not to be. I called to re-schedule. The best Delta could do was to get us on the same flight leaving Saturday morning, which I thought was horrible, but was probably one of the first flights back to Tampa, as Friday morning's flight was cancelled due to the tropical storm hitting Tampa. We kept hearing on tv about those whose flights were diverted and we felt like "the lost class" because no one mentioned those who were just stranded! They also kept saying to check the web sites or call the airlines, but we had no computer with us and the numbers were often busy. However, with persistence, we could usually get through to Delta.
We decided to visit the Queen Mary. We drove to Long Beach and somehow wound up in the actual Port of L.A. with semis everywhere. It was actually pretty cool to see such a busy working port, but we felt like "those damn tourists" in the way! We finally found the Queen Mary. They wanted $19 each to go onboard and about $8 to park, which seemed too much for such an old looking ship. Besides, I went on the Queen Mary once to say bon voyage to my Grandmother who was going from NY to London when I was a kid, so I had already seen her in her prime (the boat I mean!). We decided to go to a cool shopping place that a waitress had mentioned to us near the Crystal Cathedral just south of DL, called The Block at Orange. (Take Harbor south, left at Chapman, right at City Place and then on the right). We ate at Fridays before realizing there were some really cool ale houses and places to eat. We enjoyed walking around, especially the huge Hilo Hawaii store and a Ron-Jon's. I bought a "Ron-Jon's California" surf shirt, to wear around Florida. We ate that night at Storytellers, which we had been boycotting because they did not have the buffet. I had the blackened swordfish, which was excellent, and DW had a very nice chicken entree.

Day 7 - Friday - We left Disney, both agreeing that under the circumstances, we still had a really nice time and got to see both parks and the entire hotel (even did laundry there!). We checked into a Hampton Inn where we could see the airport, as our plane was scheduled for 8 am. We planned to take the 5 am shuttle. Every time I called Delta, they said the flight was still on. I decided to return the rental car and took it on my own and then walked about a mile and a half (for exercise...in the smog) back to the hotel. We walked to an early dinner at a nearby Holiday Inn and then watched "Hannibal" on pay per view (pretty weak).

Day 8 - Saturday - Ok, time to go - no one had better cancel this flight - three extra days in L.A. and my nerves are frangled and we are weary and worn, tired and torn, hoping to just get home to make sure our house made it through the storm and our three cats are safe and sound (DW's dad came by each day to feed them, but we never meant to be gone so long, and we heard the winds were pretty strong through the night). The lines in the terminals were unbelievable. I don't mean long - I mean unbelievable. About 1500 to 2000 people in the Delta line, snaking through two terminals and back. I relaized we would still be in the line three hours later when our flight was to leave. I made a gutsy call right then and there. We had seat assigments. If we can get our big bags through the checkpoints, we can maybe check them at the gate. It worked. The bags fit on the conveyor belt and all they did was make us surrender two pairs of nail scissors. There was no other security. No police or anyone. No body search. It is ironic that the increased security actually led to at least one person behind me having a small knife in the terminal area. He said he intended to check in the luggage containing it, so it was inadvertant. Later, the ticket agent looked at driver's licenses, but I watched her closely - she looked at the license but never looked up at me standing behind DW, so what kind of check is that?? So there we sat, at the gate, 3 hours to go, with over-sized bags and no boarding passes yet. Scary. Finally there was less than one hour until the posted departure time and still no ticket agent. Some ladies behind us actually sent their luggage by UPS because they knew about the lines. I went to another gate and told them. They said they would see what they could do. They didn't even know they didn't have anyone there. Then they didn't know they didn't have flight attendants and a pilot (just one flight attendant). They were also rude and aloof, as if we were mere cattle to be dealt with at their leisure. I wanted to get home so badly that I vowed not to complain. We got our boarding passes. They then kept delaying the flight, not sure if a flight crew would ever show up, from 8 am to 9 to 9:30 to 10. RRRRRR. I asked about our bags and some Delta workers said no problem and at least two others freaked out and suggested we would be delayed but they couldn't explain why because of all the new security (what bull). Finally a flight crew showed up and everyone in the terminal applauded. We finally boarded, were able to voluntarily check the big bags at the gate (I think they would have let us just wheel them on!) and when we took off, I was almost in tears, realizing we would finally get home. We made it home Saturday night, hugged our cats, and then joined some neighbors for a very nice candlight gathering. A nice soothing, somewhat sad ending to a wonderful trip, tinged with sadness.

Gosh, what an unfortunate time for you to have been away from home, but it seems like you made the best of the situation.

One more question...could you elaborate on your thoughts and opinion of GC?

Thanks again for the great report!

Geez, elaborate? I expect most people were overwhelmed by the LENGTH of my reports. If I had more time, I would have typed it all up, edited it, and then condensed it.

We really liked GC. The rooms were very nice. Not too large, but large enough. The rooms were made up every day and looked great. Some of the room service staff did not appear to have a complete grasp of English, kinda like a cruise ship, but they tried hard. Our only problem was getting regular coffee packets delivered. We had a decaf one only. We called once and were told no problem, right away. Nothing. Called again. Same response. Nothing happened. Called a third time and stressed the lack of response the first two times, and finally they brought two. It's not even good coffee! It happened again, but I just used the extra pack that I had stowed away, just in case. My best assessment was the the person doing the room either was forgetful or just didn't know the difference between decaf and regular.
They give you nice glycerin soap and oatmeal soap and nice shampoo and conditioner each day.

The CMs were all very friendly. The food in Storytellers was very good (we had one breakfast and one dinner). We were disappointed they didn't have a buffet, because they said there were not enough people. Couldn't they just cook a little less food? The menu at Napa Rose never changed. Most menu items were a little exotic for our taste, such as quail and things like that. I think they could offer a more balanced menu and they would do much better, like Artists Point at WL. We chose not to eat at Napa. Our best meals were at Tony Roma's.

The exercise room was very nice, with all modern equipment (the beauty of a new hotel). There was a small steam room and sauna room in each of the locker rooms and then two massage rooms. Like most similar hotels, the massage prices were fairly steep. We did not indulge.

The game room was fun, especially the free day. We went by and tried games we would never pay to play because we are not good at them! We drove trucks, cars, spaceships - you name it. My favorite was the one DW played. She kept driving into the wall and the announcer said "are you ok?". I started asking her that a lot on our trip. The crane-type games were still pay-to-play and were $1 per try. I won a purple tiger on my first try, but his tail got caught going into the shoot so he just hung there. We laughed about that and then noticed a secuirty camera and figured they were laughing too. I eventually paid another dollar to save the tiger!

The pool are was very nice. Two big spas. Two pools. The slide was not too exciting - not as long, or as high or as fast as the one at VB.

The grounds, and especially the flowers were magnificent. The music in the breezeway areas outside the lobby was new age instrumental and provided a relaxing atmosphere with all the beautiful landscaping.

The architecture, and particularly all the various lamps and lanterns, and the tables and furniture, was stunning - I think they call it early missionary or something - you could see the Frank Lloyd Wright influence. They offer a tour of the hotel - you have to sign up for it - we were busy doing other things. There was a big fireplace area and the lobby was very similar to the WL, but not as loud because the restaurants were outside the lobby, down the breezeway. Several times we heard CMs playing piano, but the music reminded me of a pizza parlor. Something more new age, like George Winston, would have been appropriate, or just classical piano.

The entrance to CA was really cool. Where else in the world can you enter a first class amusement park from a first class hotel? Also, the access to DD was great, and the layout of having the two parks and DD surrounding the hotel was marvelous. We were really impressed with the hotel and would recommend it to anyone. I think it is worth paying a little extra to stay there, over the other two Disney properties. However, our favorite Disney restaurant was Hook's Pointe.

That's about it. As with most DVC people staying there, without paying for an upgrade, our room assignment was mediocre. We were looking at the front parking lot, but that was ok. We were on the second floor in the last room to the south, so we often took the outside stairs down, and had a great view of CA from there. That reminds me, one of the most beautiful parts of the hotel was the ability to find an outside balcony on some of the upper floors (or even just the stair well) and to look out over CA at night. The view was breathtaking. The lighting in CA makes the park so beatiful at night, and one night, even the Crystal Cathedral to the south was lit up. From a balcony on the 5th floor you could look out at the two lit pools and at the park. I took some nice video footage of this.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

THANKS for the great detail!!!! Personally, I love the long reports that give lots of detail! I suppose not everyone is like that, but I am definitely a "type-A" personality who studies everything when I go on a trip, even to Disney, which I have been to many times. I am SO looking forward to staying at GC, especially after reading your glowing remarks.

Thanks for mentioning that the hotel has a tour, I didn't know that! I like to pretend that I know everything about Disney...within my circle of friends, I might know a lot, but compared to others here on the DIS, I pale by comparison!

I'm also glad you mentioned the games. I'm not sure if they're the same or similar at ESPN, but we're getting $20 in game credit. (I thought it was a $10 credit per package, turns out it's per person!)

I appreciate your taking the time and effort to share your thoughts with us!!

I laughed about your comment about the Queen Mary and your grandmother - I went back and re read it to make sure you were talking about the boat. I have done this tour a couple of times in the past. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter