Trip report from first time DL visitor

carmel

<font color=blue>Kept thinking it was 'Snow White'
This probably should go on the trip reports board but I thought since it was DL, you guys might not see it.

I was in SoCal last week. Our main priority was visiting family but we did steal away for 2 days for DL.

Howard Johnsons - We stayed in bldg 1 on the fourth floor facing DL. We could see the fireworks no problem (which was great on the days we didn't go to the park). We also had a great view of the Matterhorn and the coasters in CA. The room was massive, neat as a pin and just all around great. The gift shop had everything you could need and it was great to pick the girls up a small box of Cheerios on the way to the park. The only complaint I had was that I couldn't childproof the door to the balcony. I wish they would install a latch up high (adult level). The door did lock but it was the kind of lock that when you turned it, it opened. We ended up turning the table on it's side and butting it up against the door to keep our 2 yr old from wandering out. There is almost no way for her to fall off the balcony but you can never be to safe.

The pool was beautiful and warm. It was windy (strong Santa Ana winds) so when you got out you froze your behind off but the water was very pleasant. The kiddie pool and turtle splash area were very nice. The grounds were neat and well kept and all in all the hotel was fabulous. No complaint (except the balcony door).

We ate at Mimi's one afternoon. The portions are huge. I wouldn't call them inexpensive but they weren't over the top either. The Caesar's salad was fabulous.

I grew up on WDW. I was anxious to compare the two. I gotta say that I think I like DL better than the MK. You can't beat Epcot (IMO) but I loved the set up and the convenience of DL. I also like the 'old fashioned' feel to it. It is hard to describe but it felt older without comprimising the upkeep. I adored the area right outside Peter Pan. It was so magical to be around the rides that were in the 'cottages'. I didn't think WDW's Small World could be beat but boy was I wrong. I got goosebumps riding DL's Small World outside the castle around the topiaries. It was gorgeous. DL's POC was much better than WDW in my opinion. The one ride that I thought was showing some age was the Haunted Mansion. In the areas where there were screens in front of the diplays, the screens should have been cleaned so as not to show the stuff 'clogged' in them. It took away from the illusions.

Mickey's Toontown was nice but they could use some more shade there LOL! The worst ride we rode was Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. What a waste! We even FP'd it! Unless you have a great desire to go on it, I would say skip it and you won't regret it.

I just can't say enough good things about DL. It was great! We spent the vast majority of our time there since the girls wanted those rides. We only spent 1/2 day in California Adventure and spent most of that time in Flik's Fun Fair. I have read that some people here don't like it but I thought it was cute. We hit about about dusk and that area at night is so pretty.

All in all, I would go back in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about it being a smaller park. WDW has a tendacy to overwhelm me. I'm not saying I don't love WDW but DL had a 'quaintness' and 'doability' that really enhanced our trip. The place was spotless and the CMs were all very nice. Oh, the characters were EVERYWHERE. We saw princesses galore. I know it is hard to catch one in WDW. My 2yr old about peed her pants when Snow White kissed her. She left lipstick on her cheek and my toddler wouldn't let me wash her face for two days.

If you are planning a trip to DL, rest assure that it is a wonderful place. Yes, it was CROWDED but we still got to go on rides. The place was very clean and very well kept. DL, DTD and CA are all right there and that makes it very convenient to go between the two. I adored DL and anyone wondering if they will have a good time can relax. It is a WONDERFUL place!

Your post couldn't have come at a better time. We're WDW veterans taking our first trip to DL in May. We're going for 6 nights, not just to do Disney..we're visiting Southern CA in general and we're there on business as well. Most of our time will be pleasure though. The business part won't take but about 3 hours the whole trip.

To be honest, we're excited but not as excited as we are before WDW trips. In fact, we're kind of sad that we're not going to Florida. But, your post has given me hope.

I'm looking forward to seeing the real, original Tiki Bird show and we're especially excited about riding Indiana Jones.

PamNC

Thanks for posting your trip report! I enjoyed reading it and it gets me even MORE excited for our trip. We have been to DL before, but it's like the first time all over again since we go years inbetween. Also DCA and DTD will be new to us. I'm glad you had a great time!!

Thanks also for your post...we are WDW veterans (DVC Members as well) and can't wait for our Southern CA/DL trip June 24-July 3rd.....great feedbacK

Great trip report!! I am always so happy when visitors have a good time at the Original Magic Kingdom. I've only been to WDW once, and enjoyed all the differences there.

Would you believe that they just refurbished the HM? It would be nice if they would turn down the lights so you don't see all that on the scrim -- there is also too much light in the ballroom scene & I'm hoping they turn that down, too.

Glad you enjoyed the HoJo, too. Sounds like you had a great room.

Maybe the lights were the problem in the HM. Something was just 'off'. I saw too much of the background stuff and the illusions were lost.

I have an amusing story about the HM. We went at night and the wait time said 20 minutes. We started to get in line (which was way up in the porch area of the mansion) and the CM standing there told us to get in this other line. We told him we weren't FP-ing or anything but he still directed us and a group of people behind us in this other line. We followed the line around and around and around and dumped us out right outside the door going into the mansion. While we were going back and forth in the lines, I couldn't tell if the people waiting were in front of us in the same line or if our line started on the other side of the mansion. When we dumped out at the door, I told the CM there that we had basically bypassed all of these people and he said it was our lucky day and told us to go in. I tried to do what was right but the CMs seemed determined to get me in! LOL I have never done the HM at night and it really added to the spookiness to it. I kinda got chills in that hallway between the stretching room and the doombuggies as we were the last in the group and we were the only ones in the hallway.

That is one of the big reasons I prefer DL's HM! I love the spooky feeling of walking through that cooridor :) I also think going past Leota at the end is also spookier at DL.

Brilliant, we are from the UK and also WDW veterans and must admit I am almost wishing we were going back to Florida again! This report has made me excited once more, it's nice to hear about the magic as opposed to bad traffic, gangs and areas not to go near etc!

I agree, what a great report. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We are WDW-ers and trying DL in October. Everyone we know (who has been to both) keeps saying, "It's so small... why do you want to go there?"
They just don't get it! It's Disneyland, the original, theplace that started it all!

I am a MK girl anyway... give me three days in Fantasyland and I'd be happy. And I can't wait to ride Mr. Toad again. It's been too long. :goodvibes

There is just something so wonderful feeling about being around the area of Dumbo/Peter Pan/Toad's Wild Ride....it is all there together. The feel is kind of like a small town in the Alps. I'm not doing it justice by trying to explain it.

I LOVED the fact it is smaller. You get to see so much more. Plus, you can find a nice, central spot for your stroller and ride about 4-5 rides before the stroller is out of your site.

California Adventure is breathtaking at night. The lights are so beautiful around the coasters and in Flik's Fun Fair.

You guys are gonna have a splendid time.

That you so much for this report. We too are taking our first trip out west. I've been feeling down in the dumps the past couple of days as we would not be in Florida and "at home" in our DVC villa.
I am now looking forward to seeing all of this.

Thank you so much for the positive report! Hopefully this will convince some seasoned WDW visitors that Disneyland is worth the trip! I agree about the area around Peter Pan, it is just about my favorite place anywhere. Also love DCA at night too. I love WDW and will be heading there in two weeks and your trip report makes me almost wish I was heading to Disneyland instead!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip report. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first visit to DL. :goodvibes Isn't the old-fashioned feel of DL wonderful, I definately love that about DL. :) We've stayed at the Howard Johnson and enjoyed our stay there too, I'm glad you had a nice time there. We're DL vets and took our first trip to WDW in December. I loved WDW but Disneyland is where my heart is.

I appreciate your trip report so much. We have been to WDW five times, and was a little skeptical about trying DL instead. We will be there May 22-27 and will be spending 3 days at DL. Like some others have mentioned, I have not been the least bit excited about this trip, at least not like when planning WDW or cruisline trips. I have a little over a month now to build my anticipation. I am so glad I read your post.

Debbie :banana:

Thanks for posting this! We have been wanting to plan a trip and finally decided on next summer. But I jsut got done posting questions on the DL Board (basically looking for others to give us excuses not to go.) Now I am ready to go!

Thanks for sharing your report. I really enjoyed it. I've never been to Disneyland, but hope to visit someday.

Thank you for posting, We will be there in June for the 1st time, and I was just making sure it was for us. You helped with that. Glad you had a great trip.

I was also concered about staying off site, we will be at the Best Western Stovall's Inn. I hope that is as good as you site.

WOW. THAT REVIEW JUST MADE ME SO HAPPY! I HAVE MY WDW TRIP THIS YEAR, AS PART OF THE 50TH ::MinnieMo CELEBRATION DURING SWW. :cheer2: HOWEVER, I MANAGED TO CONVINCE THE FAMILY TO GO TO DL NEXT YEAR, BEFORE THE 50TH ::MickeyMo IS DONE! :cloud9: I HAVENT BEEN TO DL SINCE I WAS 8 IN 1982. I TOTALLY CANNOT WAIT FOR THE MATTERHORN! LET THAT ABOMIDABLE CHASE ME ALL THE WAY..... :rotfl: LOL. AND...I WAS PLANNING ON STAYING IN THE HO JO! I HAD SOME DOUBTS ABOUT THE HOTELS. ASK ME ABOUT ORLANDO AND KISSIMME...I CAN TELL YOU A BUNCH ABOUT THE AREA AND HOTELS. IN SOCAL - IM BLIND! THANKS FOR THE AWESOME REVIEW! (IS IT REALLY LIKE A 7 MIN WALK TO THE PARK?)

It was just what I was needing! I chose Disneyland for several reasons...one being that my older son has already been to Florida, but has never been west of Colorado. Another being that this is the 50th Anniversary. And, finally, because when I started doing reservations and purchasing tickets last January, the California trip was several hundred dollars less expensive than the Florida trip.

I've posted some of my concerns on the other board here. When I tell people I'm taking the kids to Disneyland there is this pause, then they say, "Disney World?" When I say, no, Disneyland, you can see their enthusiasm level drop from 10 to zero. The last time I went to Disneyland was 1979...and I started to question whether it had changed since then or if I was just remembering a better time than I really had! What I was really needing was a positive post like yours! Thank you for taking the time to share!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter