Trip Planning Input Appreciated

rbyount

Earning My Ears
We are planning family trip to WDW, driving from the midwest via RV and planning to stay for 5 days in mid March. Have 4 children ages 13, 11, 6 and 1. They want to do WDW (not much interest in Animal Kingdom), SeaWorld, and a day at a waterpark.

I've reviewed many of the posts in various discussion threads, and would like to know what I'm missing with the following plans:

(1) Rent vacation home (3 BR).
(2) 3 single day passes for WDW theme parks
(3) 1 day pass to water park
(4) 1 day pass to SeaWorld

The costs of doing this versus staying on site (package price with 5 day park hopper pass for all 6 of us is $3100) is about $800 less.

What is the 'magic' that we would be missing by doing this? The kids are not interested in roving between parks on the same day, and based upon experience with them they will need down time each evening. The prospect of being able to relax in a house and own pool versus a (relatively) cramped hotel suite (don't forget how cranky a one year old can get when they are short on sleep) is very enticing. We have some experience doing the vacation home/condo rental, and realize there is no maid service, and there are frequently departure cleaning fees.

Your collective wisdom and thoughts will be most appreciated.

You might want to consider parking your RV at Fort Wilderness or getting a cabin at FW(they sleep 8, I think). Then you can stay in your RV AND stay on the Disney property. Your younger kids will have a hard time staying in a park all day. You won't be able to park hop with the single park tickets and as the crowds increase, your children could get even crankier than staying in a small hotel room.

We stayed in the MK for the entire day (DH, DS-6 yr old and myself) and we were extremely tired at the end of the day. We had a full day, watched both parades, took the Family Magic Tour, ate dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern and were exhausted. If you can work it to get hoppers and stay on the property, you can go to one park in the AM, go back to your resort to swim or nap and go to another park in the afternoon. That way if the park of the day is mobbed, you can change your plans more easily. Flexibility really helps at WDW.

I know that Texas schools are out for Spring Break in mid-March, so you might hit some crowds. Our school break isn't until Easter week. We'll be there at OKW that week, but we are DVC members so what we don't do on this trip, we'll do on another.

Deb & Bill -

Thanks very much for your thoughts! We did consider the Wilderness Cabin routine. Things sounded very enticing, although there is only 1 bedroom. The cost (on-line booking, resort magic package) is $1,200 more than doing the vacation home.

I agree that the kids could get cranky as time goes, but our experience with our kids (August we were on a 1 week cruise) was that they easily handle the extended time of activities. Key question mark is our 1 year old, but we think a stroller and nap will probably take care of things. Other option is to go to the parking lot and have one of us (parents) nap with her in the RV.

I'm challenged in looking at the $1,200 additional expense versus the flexibility in case the park of the day is mobbed. I've been told there is more to the experience when staying on site, but have had difficulty having anyone articulate specifics. I have been to WDW two previous times (stayed off-site both times) and DW 3 or 4 times.

Can you provide other benefits other than the flexibility? I'm willing to spend the money, but am 'fiscally conservative' enough (kids call me cheap) to want corresponding value for the price difference. Would be a whole lot easier if it was a couple of hundred instead of over a grand.

Thanks!

Since we belong to DVC, we only stay on site. The first time we went, we stayed at the Polynesian with our son (4 at the time) and two nieces (8 and 10). Our son got tired very easily and we took a nap every day. While he and I were resting, DH was swimming with the nieces. It was so convenient to hop the monorail or catch the bus and head back to the resort. If we had to go to the parking lot, search out the car and fight the traffic back to an off site hotel, it would have been harder. Of course, early entry was a big perk back then that we took advantage of every day. As was getting priority seating for meals ( used to be you had to be a resort guest).

If you don't have a multiday ticket or you aren't staying at a Disney resort, I don't think you are technically entitled to use the park transportation (except from the TTC parking lot to the MK). You have to pay to park each day if you stay off site.

Also with the hopper ticket, your older kids can take advantage of some of the rides they might find that they like better than some - such as Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mt, etc. With the hopper ticket, your or your spouse can take the older kids to one park and the other stay with the younger kids at another park such as MK or go back and swim.

If you get a Disney Club card, you might be able to find some discounts that could help your lodging. We have the DC card, DVC membership and Annual Passes that get us all sorts of discounts. I think AAA will also get you some discounts (we don't have a AAA membership).

I hate getting stuck in traffic when we arrive in Orlando and head for home each time. I-4 usually backs up quite a bit around WDW and the other theme parks. I would hate to have to face that every day of my trip, morning and night, especially in an RV. I'd rather hop the bus, get driven up to the gate and get into the park. I can sleep until 8, shower, eat a bite, grab the bus and get to the park by 9. I can hang around until noon or so, head back for a swim or nap in the cool of my room, then return to a different park for an evening parade or fireworks. It doesn't get boring.

AK is an amazing park. We love the safari ride, Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids (when it's not so cool). A trip to Rafiki's Planet Watch on the AK railway is a nice relaxing think to do at AK as well. It's "natazu" as they say on the Disney channels. Ooh, that another perk of staying on site. The Disney TV Channels letting you know of what you can expect each day in the park. Plus you get the "Tips for Today"!

Park your RV in the hotel parking lot and leave it there for the duration of your trip. Grab a bus, ride a boat, hop the monorail, walk a path. Rest and relax and leave the driving to Disney.

You don't want to miss Illuminations at Epcot because you've gone back to your rental. You don't want to miss Tapestry of Dreams because the kids are tired. With the hopper you can go back to see it twice if you really like it and still go to another park that morning. You can't go without seeing Fantasmic.

Take your time seeing Disney and save the Seaworld for another trip. Three days just aren't enough time to see it or do it all.

Little things like the Mickey wake-up call, or the refillable mugs, Mickey soap and shampoo help make it fun.

But if this isn't for you, then do it the way you have planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter