Trip planning help...first week May 2023

BecAus

Mouseketeer
Hi all...Happy New Year!
Some background info:
Travelling party: Myself, husband and (turning) 17yr old son. Coming from Australia via 17n TP Cruise with RCI (actually, husband and I are doing the cruise and our son is flying in and meeting us in Honolulu), a few nights in Honolulu then flying into LAX.
We arrive LA on Wednesday evening. 2n at Sheraton Universal - doing Universal on Thursday 4th (1day with Express pass).

I purchased our 3 day P/hopper with Genie+ tickets from U/C Tourist about a month before the price rise was announced end of last year. First time using them and has been super easy and added them to my Disney acct today without issue.
Our park days will be Friday, Saturday, Sunday - 5th / 6th / 7th May.
On Friday we will likely not arrive till mid-morning, on Sunday we will have to leave the park by ~ 5pm
to make our way back to LAX for our flight back to Australia. We are staying at D.I.&S - I've booked the room through till Monday so we can keep our luggage there and go back and freshen up before making our way to LAX on Sunday night. We have an 11.30pm flight out.

Not our first time to DL - this will be my 9th time. My husband and I were last there in July 2019 and before that my son and I were there in Sep/Oct 2017 for 8 days. We won't expect to be able to do everything - I'll pick a few must-do's and we'll aim for that and anything else will be a bonus. My son hasn't seen Galaxy's Edge and whilst not a big SW fan he will want to do the 2 rides and we'll go to Oga's.

Some of what we would like to do: Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway / SW rides and Oga's / several rides both parks of course!

Also...Fantasmic (prob HB - prev done BB pkg but seems like there's a lot of cuts there so might just do HB this time)
WOC Dessert Party
Fireworks - would like to watch in front of castle - thinking about perhaps doing 2nd Fantasmic after watching fwks?

Will probably do mostly CS for meals. Might consider doing Minnie & Friends B/F in the Park but that might not work with our short time-frame in the parks.

so....if you got this far, that is the background of our planned trip. Any thoughts / suggestions are always welcomed!

We come to my first question and the reason for my post. Park reservations have opened for my dates. Our dates aren't negotiable - hotel's / flights are booked and not changeable.
Events I've found that might be happening: SW Day is Thursday 4th May (we'll be at Universal that day) - info I've found suggests IF there are SW nights they are unlikely to be on our park days of Friday - Sunday.

It looks like Bats Day falls on Sunday 7th May at DL Park. Not sure how this might affect the park. Research suggests HM might be popular that day so we would just make sure we'd done it on the previous 2 days. Any other attractions likely to be especially busy that day?

So...I'm wondering. Does it matter what starting park I choose for our 3 days or will it make little difference?
Keeping in mind - likely not arriving till mid to late morning on Friday 5th and needing to leave by about 5pm on Sunday 7th.
I'm thinking for starting park: Friday - DL / Saturday - DL / Sunday - DCA

Must do's for DCA probably: Guardians, IC, TSMM, RSR, Soarin. Grizzly & Webslingers - maybe just son so could do SR.
He also 'might' want to do Goofy's Sky School & Symphony Swings.

Any advice on which starting park to reserve would be gratefully received. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter