Trip must haves when traveling with toddlers

One trip we used a changing pad the next I just used a hotel towel. I grabbed a new one each day and it came in handy if I needed to dry her off at splash area or if she wanted out of stroller and sat on the ground. I just left it in the bottom of stroller when we went on the rides. Also used it to dry us off if there was a bit of rain. It became a sun shade for front of stroller too.
-Rain jacket from craft store (JoAnn's 2T/3T) worked great for 2 trips.
-covered our stroller with a dollar store shower curtain and airplane binder clips.
-Water Wow books from Melissa and Doug
-suckers/fruit snacks
-glow sticks and bubbles (wedding favor size)
-band aids
-stroller fan W/extra batteries
-Swim diapers/Rash guard too (Hotel provides life jackets) also took a toy watering can for the pool she loved it
-a few toys for in room play (gave us time to get dresses) could also double as "tinker bell gifts"
-Ribbon, balloon or duct tape etc. for your stroller. We used the duct tape on the stroller edges to decorated it before we left. It was easy to identify when they move around stroller parking.
-Cup of Wine, we actually brought 2 they are in plastic cups and single serve. It was great we had a room with a Balcony and enjoyed our wine there. You could do Rum and Coke or Wine spritzers with Sprite too!

Have a great trip and enjoy the memories. Take a ton of photos and make a digital scrapbook with Snapfish or Walgreens. Our little one 3.5yr love to look at them and tell us stories from when she went to Disney as a baby (14 months and 21 months).

I'm adding liquor for me to the list. Haha I kid. Not really.

I had a bottle of wine included with my grocery delivery. We also went to Trader Sam's at the Poly with coloring books, crackers and drinks for her in the afternoon so we could see what all the hype was about the new place (loved it!). lol.

Have a 2 and 4 year old too.

My in park list:
-Stroller with stroller fans (if going when its hot). I also bring a bay carrier for the 2 year old for rides since he would never stand still in line.
-A change of clothes for each kid in a ziplock back (that way you can put the dirty clothes in a bag) and a few diapers and wipes. This goes in one bag that stays under the stroller.
-I also bring a small lunch box with some snacks and drinks.
- I tend to wear a small cross body with my valuables (ID and money) it's also big enough for my phone and a kindle (kid entertainment for dining if needed)
-I only bring ponchos if the weather calls for it.

Packing for a trip includes:
-I let each kid fill there mini backpacks with toys. I have boys so cars and trucks fills most of it. But I also have them bring a mini doodle pro and some sticker books and paper and crayons. That with the kindles is pretty good.
-diapers and wipes, make sure you get swim diapers too (I also use a reusable swim diaper on top of the disposable swim diaper cause there is nothing grosser than wet poo that leaks out). If you bring diapers with you then you will have room for the souvenirs going home :-)
-sunscreen, band aids and the usual first aid stuff.

We tend to do a lot of 1/2 days in the park. Rope drop, get as much done, FP between 10-1 then go back to the resort. If the kids are up to it we go back for some sort of nighttime show later.

I also tend to do TS for lunch as that part of the day is better planned, the kids are better for lunch and ready for a better break at that time.

Pack whatever you use for illness- while there are items in shops it is not a good idea to give a new type of medicine while on vacation, in case of reaction. We've packed a small collection and kept everything in a tiny zipper packing cube. We used dye-free tylenol ( certain flavors so that may be hard to find at a Disney store), and homeopathic things, saline spray in case of plane/pool congestion, etc. Of course you hope you never need it but its there if you do.

We also like taking a noise machine for the room- or you could use a phone app. You will want to sleep and the hotel noise could be disturbing, or adults awake in the same room...

If doing laundry, a small amount of your detergent.

More clothes than you think you will need.

Pack whatever you use for illness- while there are items in shops it is not a good idea to give a new type of medicine while on vacation, in case of reaction. We've packed a small collection and kept everything in a tiny zipper packing cube. We used dye-free tylenol ( certain flavors so that may be hard to find at a Disney store), and homeopathic things, saline spray in case of plane/pool congestion, etc. Of course you hope you never need it but its there if you do.

We also like taking a noise machine for the room- or you could use a phone app. You will want to sleep and the hotel noise could be disturbing, or adults awake in the same room...

If doing laundry, a small amount of your detergent.

More clothes than you think you will need.

We never travel without our white noise machine. The marpac dohm. Best thing ever.

Oh yes we use the Dohm too. Life saver. We use it at home and take it when we travel.

Great tips on here :thumbsup2. We always pack nightlights for the rooms for wherever we travel. We also like to pack a familiar pillowcase and throw blanket from home to make the bed a little more inviting and less generic for our three year old. Toddler size silverware from home is nice to keep in your travel bag to have when eating in the restaurants/food courts if your little one typically eats independently but isn't accustomed to using normal sized silverware.

What is rash guard?

In that context I think they are discussing the swim suits with sleeves and UPF protection. I always get that type of swim suit for my child because we are fair skinned and I remember the numerous burns as a child, anyway the sleeves prevent against a sun burn... but I believe the term originated from surfing and they are called rash guards because they prevented rashes from the surf board

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rash_guard

We brought a reusable grocery bag and used it to line the under-the-seat stroller basket. Inevitably, throughout the day, we tossed "stuff" in there like souvenir cups or duffy bear sticks or whatever. Then when we had to fold up the stroller for the train or tram, etc., we just grabbed the bag and folded up the stroller, rather than having to sort the basket contents.

First WDW trip in September with our 2 and 4 year old. Any tips? Things you must bring that you wouldn't think of?

So far this is my list
Double stroller (bringing our own so we have it for the airport)
Rain cover for stroller
Garden grocer Delivery
Tinker bell gifts (encourage good behavior lol)
Ponchos (where to find little ones for a 2 yo?)
Cooler bag (will put ice in a ziploc)
Princess dresses
Minnie ears
Filtered water bottles

Instead of using ponchos for little ones, I just use thin rain coats. Also, we bring a small little foam stroller fan. We always go in Aug./Sept. and it's HOT.

Last edited:
Instead of using ponchos for little ones, I just use thin rain coats. Also, we bring a small little foam stroller fan. We always go in Aug./Sept. and it's HOT.

Last time we were at Disney and it rained I put DD in the stroller and used the raincover for the stroller. Dry stroller and dry child!

I had a bottle of wine included with my grocery delivery. We also went to Trader Sam's at the Poly with coloring books, crackers and drinks for her in the afternoon so we could see what all the hype was about the new place (loved it!). lol.
don't forget the wine corkscrew!!!
I personally don't like to travel with my own pillows but at least bring a used pillocase and stick the hotel pillow in it, my 18 month old sleeps without any problems and I swear it's the pillow scent

Lots of good tips already!! When my younget was 2, it was our first trip and it POURED! He was THRILLED though to wear our cheap ponchos we bought, and I just tied a knot in the corner and it fit perfectly. He also thought it was hilarious sitting in his stroller with one over top. So yours might like to be like everyone else with a poncho!!

I do say bring every single sort of medicine you might want, for any bug bite, rash, upset stomach, headache, etc. I pack a little bag to treat everything from a stomach bug to headaches, stuffy noses, fevers, itches, etc. I don't want to miss a minuite just because something like that might bother us and we have to go track it down! The one time we didn't, my DH and I got into an argument over buying a $14 bottle of nasel spray for him. He didn't want to because it was so overpriced. I said stop ruining our trip with complaigning about your stuffy nose, I'm buying the darn spray, LOL!

I have an 16 month old son and I took the advice from previous posters. We had to run Grandma to the airport on Saturday so I gave the Ipad a trial run. I put several Mickey Mouse club house episodes on it before we left. My son love loved holding the Ipad and watching his shows. This is going to be a must do when we travel down and in the parks. I ordered a kid proof case and gorilla glass to make it kid proof, I also have 2 battery backups ready to go too.

Love the shower curtain over the stroller idea too.

following...we are staying at the Poly at the end of August for 11 days for my son's first birthday, any additional suggestions for just barely walking cubs would be greatly appreciated!

These are all great!

I second the Dover sticker books. I always have a stash in my car because they are just the perfect size to hide and surprise them when we decide to grab lunch or there is a line somewhere and I need them to wait.

I just got back and I found that a pencil case full of snacks works great for them to look through and pick. It's a nice distraction. I started using one years ago so that cereal bars didn't get squished and they love it. I throw snack sized bags of crackers, cereal bars, raisins, applesauce etc.

A mini sunblock for the stroller

Parent consoles for strollers are a must. We have two for our double stroller, one for each side and I can't imagine not having it. We keep our drinks and phones there as well as things we need access to frequently.

Dish soap! We bring our own cups for the kids and I always end up buying soap in the hotel shop because after a day or two I find that there is just so much I'd like to give a good washing to.

Binder clips and then we buy a Disney poncho down there for the stroller.

The glow stick tubes were big this year. I always think they will want the light up toys but they have so much More fun with the open ended play of the sticks.

And sometimes just give in and buy the toy that they want. My son wanted a stuffed horse from pandora and I just said fine. He loves this thing. Sleeps with it every night. Makes me play the pandora soundtrack for I for it. The whole 9. I'm glad I bought it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter