Trip is 6 months away and I was able to online checkin already?

LovePug

DIS Veteran
I thought you had to wait until 60 days, but the website prompted me to do online checkin already. :confused3
Is this new, or was I mistaken about the timeframe?

It's been like that awhile for me. I haven't. I see no reason to "check in" until my stay is about 40 days out.

I saw that for my trip as well. We did the magic bands but hold off a bit on the check in. I usually don't know until about 60 days which credit card I was to use and it seems like a big hassle to change after the fact. ( I haven't experienced, I just know that I had a hard time changing my address after I booked so I can't imagine the credit card is any easier. ).

They changed it a couple years ago so that you can do your online check in as soon as you book your trip. No idea why quite honestly. But I always do. I see no reason to wait.

Is there a reason to check in at about 40 days out, rather than 20 or 10?
Nothing specific. I figure it allows me to see the latest update/ magical enhancement :-)without giving me something else to remember as I get closer.

I see. I thought perhaps you had a theory on requests being met, room assignments, or something else significant about day 40.
Seems like any day is as good as another, until you are within a couple of days from when rooms get assigned.

Last edited:

They changed it a couple years ago so that you can do your online check in as soon as you book your trip. No idea why quite honestly. But I always do. I see no reason to wait.

They were offering to let me check in as soon as I made my reservations (8 months out) if I remember correctly. I wait until close to my trip since I worry about online check-in causing issues should I need to reschedule or cancel for some reason. On a related note, do they charge the full remaining balance when you do online check-in?

I see. I thought perhaps you had a theory on requests being met, room assignments, or something else significant about day 40.
Seems like any day is as good as another, until you within a of couple days when rooms get assigned.

I made a room request the day before arrival last time and they accommodated it. Of course, I was only requesting a specific building, not something more complicated.

They were offering to let me check in as soon as I made my reservations (8 months out) if I remember correctly. I wait until close to my trip since I worry about online check-in causing issues should I need to reschedule or cancel for some reason. On a related note, do they charge the full remaining balance when you do online check-in?
On line check in does not charge your room in full. Not for room only and not for packages. Paid in full dates never change
Nor does it affect the ability to make changes. I make changes all the time, even dates and resorts. No problems at all. Just have to complete it again if you change resorts.
All of which is why I said I have no idea why they have you complete online check in so early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter