Trip insurance

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
We head out in a month and are trying to decide if we need trip insurance.

We are staying 6 nights in an air bnb and 4 nights on dvc points at aulani (not renting).

We aren’t sure if trip insurance even covers these?

I believe if we have to cancel we can always get credit for our flights already. So really debating if it’s worth the money.

I base my decision on what dollar amount I would lose in a worst case scenario vs. what the insurance payout would be (minus the cost to buy the insurance). If you have the ability to move or cancel your plans without penalty, then travel insurance is not necessary. If your trip is entirely non-refundable, then getting something back from the insurance is better than nothing.

You have to do some research to see what the policies cover. Each company offers different coverage as far as what types of accommodation and the reason for cancellation. Some policies include medical, some don’t. Some cover medical evacuation and some don’t. Everyone has different needs when it comes to coverage, and there’s no shortcut around doing the research yourself for what you need covered.

Personally, I have only used trip insurance for international trips, as I can usually book domestic trips with more generous cancellation policies. But that doesn’t apply to everyone.

Vacation rentals on Maui are giving people hell about cancelling despite the state of emergency, partly because so many are owned by mainlanders who are not on the island.

So you have to consider worst case with those.

Thanks. I’ll talk it over with my mom and sister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter