Trip insurance

red712371

Mouseketeer
We have never even thought about it in the past, but between what is happening in the world today and the fact that our flight home got canceled last year and we stayed for an extra three days, we are considering it. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Trip insurance can be complicated I think, but also worth it for some trips. Just make sure and read the fine print. If you already made payments towards your flight or hotel, that can also affect what type of insurance you can get vs. if you buy the insurance close to the time you book the trip. Also be aware if anyone has a pre-existing medical condition and you need to cancel the trip for their medical reasons, or if they get sick while on the trip and you file a claim, it could be denied because of the pre-existing condition.

Agree with Selket.. Also, depends on the time of year that you are going.. Hurricane season? Winter? I live in Michigan and if I have a flight out and there is a blizzard, I may not get out on schedule. When you buy a package or even a hotel room from Disney, you have the option of getting their insurance or you can search for a travel insurance company and cover the whole trip from leaving home to getting back home.

I recommend reading the actual policy (fine print) before purchasing. I used to always use Travel Guard because of their cancel for any reason option but they now only offer that as an expensive add on that only covers 50%. Many companies made changes due to covid and some will still offer coverage (I.e. if you contract it and need medical care etc.) but have restrictions l, so now more than ever, the fine print matters.

Be aware of what each policy will cover. If you buy the vacation protection offered by WDW, i believe it will pnly cover those components booked thru WDTC. If you booked your own air travel, that wouldn’t be covered. You might want to look into 3rd party offerings.

Have never purchased trip insurance and as others have mentioned, make sure you know what you are buying and what it does/does not cover. On occasion where we were unable to travel for a valid reason, we simply called the airline and they were always agreeable to making a change without extra charge. Obviously, if you just change your mind and decide to not go, isn't what I consider a valid reason to expect them to cover.

Check to see what the 'insurance' costs vs. the change fees for either hotel or airlines. You might not find it makes that much of a difference. Third parties make that process a lot more complicated and you will likely end up spending a long time on the phone trying to get them to agree to anything.

We always purchase travel insurance simply for the peace of mind. We've only traveled pre-pandemic so a basic policy always worked for us. As everyone else has said, check what is covered before you purchase anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter