• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

trip ideas

nycdisneygal

I went ahead and signed up for another kid!
Have a new job-More pay but harder to get vacay!

We did 2 years of APs to WDW (3 trips each year). Think I will take a break for a couple years....

Looking for ideas for next year-- have an active 4 year old (older one traveled better at this age). and an almost 14 year old.
We are doing DCL to northern europe this summer. I put a deposit on DCL caribbean for next april as I think our school spring break is different from others. I may move it to next summer though so I can go somewhere in April. Dont want california as I hear about what a mess the big cities are... Older DD would be interested in Italy (likes art, old history, taking latin) but that may be difficult with younger DD). Dream is japan but my mom wants us to go to india and I tell her its too far --- so thats out :)

No set budget --- nothing extravagant but not too tight. Will try to use points as much as possible. And if you traveled (from northeast) during christmas time where is a good place? Not interested in only sitting on a beach....

Since you're in NYC, I'm sure you've already considered Washington DC and/or Williamsburg, VA - both high on history and art (and locations for the 4 year old). If you haven't, those 2 sites could be a good place to start.

But, another suggestion I'd have is San Antonio, TX. You have the Riverwalk scene, the Alamo, a fun city atmosphere...and some kid destination sites to keep the 4 year old happy. It's probably not a bad place, weather-wise, to visit for Christmas...although I have not. https://www.artslant.com/ny/article...ation-why-san-antonio-deserves-more-attention

How about our state parks? My kids loved the Grand Canyon/Sedona areas. Yosemite and Yellowstone are next on our list! Also they really enjoyed all the activities at Niagara Falls. There is so much natural beauty in this country that it will probably take us 30 years to see all the places we want to visit!

Our favorites August destination is the alps in Switzerland and Lake District in Austria. Lake Como and Venice are not far away so you can add time in these areas also. Check out the car free town of Murren in Switzerland, Halstadt in Austria and Varenna in Italy. Check out the books and PBS show that Rick Steves does on the area. He has never steered us wrong.

Hawaii is beautiful year round. Island hop and see the best of all islands. Check out the museums and fun activities. Try snorkling on a beach day.

For something different from New York, head to the desert. Santa Fe New Mexico and Durango Colorado are favorites. Check out the Durango Silverton train, pan for gold in Silverton, hang out in the Pagosa Hot Springs. Sedona Az, Rocky Mountain area, Bryce or Zion are great for hiking but watch for snow in the spring. Some areas are snow covered until June. We have been all over the world but the US has so many varied and beautiful national parks.

When the girls get older, New Zealand and Australia are spectacular but have areas that have been devastated by the changing weather. I wouldn’t book these very far in advance.

We did an rent an rv trip. We went to 4 six flags all kinds of things on the way. The kids still talk about it today. It was really cool being together. We had 3 young boys they really enjoyed the rv. It wasnt like sitting in the car for hours. All ready being in the NE you can see a lot. My DH doesnt get a lot of time off so the thing he hated most was being on a early morning schedule like Disney. He wanted rest as well as family time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter