Trip from the US, need info on taxes

Silvana

Earning My Ears
So the website clearly talks about VAT and how to get that back but that seems to apply to people coming from the UK. This is my first trip, I'm coming from the USA. Are there taxes? How much if so? Can I do as the VAT and get some of it back?

Thanks

Standard VAT in France is 20%, to my knowledge. It is already incorporate within the price you see in the store and specified on your receipt.

What I know in general is to take your receipts with you to the airport. They usually have a booth where you show your receipts and depending on terms and conditions you get (some of) your money back.

Thank you. I talked to a cast member and this is what I found out.
For merch, VAT is 20%
For drinks (Like at a bar or just a soda) VAT is also 20%
For food, including buffets, VAT is 5.5% She wasn't clear/sure about if you get a soda and food at a quick service if it would all be at the 5.5%, or if they would split it.
If you keep your receipts and spend over 100 Euro you can get your VAT back for merch ONLY. Food and drink don't count.

Yes, you can only claim back VAT if it's something you're taking back out of the country, so that's why food and drink aren't eligible.

Though I wouldn't put it past some smart-alec lawyer-type to try and claim anyway saying that they had constipation... 🤢

I think someone from the US wrote about claiming the taxes back when they went. It might be in a trip report. Think Disney counts al there shops as one so can put all the receipts in.

The receipts need to be validated first at Disney, who then give a form which is scanned at Transport hub, i.e. airport, port etc.

I just did a day trip to France and went to Cite Europe in Calais, so easy to process. Just took receipt & passport to customer service desk. Who took the details and printed form out for me. I scanned that at Eurotunnel terminal and 2 weeks later refund was back on my credit card.

As mentioned whatever is being claimed needs to be in original condition. if its food related then it can't be consumed until out of the country, we went to hypermarket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter