Trip for Halloween or Christmas?

carisa81

Mouseketeer
If you could go for only one holiday season, which would you choose. Halloween or Christmas? I'm leaning toward Christmas, because I LOVE the Christmas season, in general. But I have twins you just turned 4, and they might enjoy Halloween more? What do you all think? :surfweb:

I prefer Halloween because you can get tickets to trick or treat in the park. They are a little pricey, but the experience is very cool and unique and perfect for 4 year olds. Plus the crowds during Halloween are generally better unless its near a holiday weekend. That being said, I have never been during Christmas due to the crowd levels, so I am biased. I did manage to ride small world while it was still Xmasy this year and it was pretty cool.

Even though I know Christmas is about as busy as DLR can get I would pick it - simply because I could not hate Halloween any more than I do. :upsidedow So I am biased when it comes to what a 4 year old would want.

I very much enjoy Christmas, so would likely have fun, but one would have to brace for the crowds and just hope for some magic I guess. :crowded:

We do both every year, and they are BOTH so much fun! Crowds (for us) have been smaller during October. Having said that, if you go during December, knowing what to expect, and having a good attitude and a plan, you will be able to enjoy it just as well. I think for me, Christmas time is so magical, I just might have to choose that over Halloween, if forced to pick one!

Oh geez...I can't decide!! I want to do both!! I don't think crowds would matter to ME, but they would probably matter to my husband. Thanks for the tips, keep em coming. It's going to be a big decision for me because I've always wanted to do both, and have never been! We always go spring and summer. We are going at the end of April this year, and may be lucky enough to do both in 2013!

We love both holidays, well, holidays in general. But, we are goonie-crazy about Christmas. So, for our first ever trip to DLR, these WDW vets went from Dec. 18 through 23 last year. We had the time of our lives. The lights! The decorations! The music! The holiday foods! It was magical. We stayed at the GCH and the lobby had a pianist playing carols, a huge tree, a real good-looking Santa, and carolers dressed in Victorian costumes. Everywhere we went it was so incredible.

Now, regarding the crowds. We had a simple plan. Both parks were open for early entry every day. So, we got up and were at the gates for the 7 AM opening. We rode everything more than once. (Actually, we were at WDW for nine nights last August and we never got on Soaring or Toy Story Mania once. We rode both multiple times in December.) Our afternoons were spent resting or shopping or just wandering. Then we would go back in the evenings for the shows. Oh, the fireworks! And snow! Just don't let your girls try to catch it on their tongues. My DD did that and found out it is soap!

Now, I can't wait to go back!! My three big pieces of advice are that you stay on property. That way you will get EE every day. That made all the difference for us. Also, get Photopass Plus. The photographers were everywhere. Check out the Christmas superthread. It has tons of pictures. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Didn't even consider weather. Maybe we will plan a last minute trip so that we could get nice weather. Going in the rain scares me, esp with toddlers. And that will give me plenty of time to decide, plus we can surprise the kids!

If you could go for only one holiday season, which would you choose. Halloween or Christmas? I'm leaning toward Christmas, because I LOVE the Christmas season, in general. But I have twins you just turned 4, and they might enjoy Halloween more? What do you all think? :surfweb:

Christmas, despite the crowds is magical. We are going for Christmas week this year. In the past we have gone at the beginning of December and that had the benefit of all the decorations without the crowds. But the kids are in high school now and we have to fit it into Christmas break.

Our last trip to DL was at Christmastime, and we loved it! I think 4 would be a great age for all the trees, parades, etc..

We hit it this year where we got to see a bit of both. We were there Nov 2-9. When we were first there they had the Halloween decorations up and the Space Mountain Ghost theme. By the end of the week they had done the switch over and we got to see the Christmas decorations and the holiday fireworks. It probably wasn't the full Halloween experience, but we enjoyed it.

Wow, beginning of Dec does sound nice. Less crowds and still Christmas time. Hmm.

Hi Carisa, if your dates are flexible, I DEFINITELY recommend earlier in December. You do get all the magical decorations and atmosphere, and with much fewer people there, it is more enjoyable. It looks like you have two four year olds. When my two girls were in early grade school, we would take them out of school for a week with no problem, so this worked for us. As they got older (upper grade school, and beyond) the school curriculum made it difficult to be out a week. But if you are not there, then yes, do consider going in the beginning or even middle of December.

-Shawn

I've never been during Halloween--this year may be the first time if we can decide about the annual passes (ongoing discussion in our house).

Christmas time is amazing. I've been at least 5 times near Christmas and I love the way they decorate Small World and the magical "snowfall". Only downside is the crowds. The closer you get to Christmas, the more people will be in the park. We've gone days in December that I swear are more crowded than summer. Oh, and it sometimes rains, which is great for crowd control, but can be a pain if you aren't prepared. My mom got pneumonia a few years ago after a trip to DL because it was so cold and rainy and we were unprepared. It's not common, but it is something to consider.

I had my giant "Two Holidays, One Trip" experience in 2012, going from Oct 30 to Nov 12. We attended the MHP on Halloween night, we did the H'ween tour and the holiday tour, we saw both sets of fireworks, we saw the Soundsational Parade, Halloween "calvacade" (how some refer to the smaller, shorter H'ween parade), and the Holiday parade from the seats reserved by IASWH for tour-goers. We only got to ride IASW and HM in their holiday forms because HM gets converted for H'ween time and IASW was down by the time we got there in late October for its holiday transformation.
I agree with what everyone has said about the Christmas magic, gingerbread beignets, snow after fireworks, and, even there at the start of holiday time on Vets' Day weekend in 2012, the remarkable surge in crowds once the holiday magic starts flowing.
So I'm here to chime in a bit about Halloween time. I loved it. I love fall, so I loved the color schemes. I love the arts and decorations of Dia de los Muertos, so all that in Frontierland added to the ambiance, not to mention the musicians. The Halloween fireworks are a much more elaborate show, meaning a lot more than fireworks and music, compared to the holiday ones, which I also loved. If you like villains, or just the thrill of seeing less common characters, then Halloween is for you. I got to meet a really great Cruella de Vil, who was positively (and hilariously) evil to the CM handling her Meet & Greet. The kids had a ToT experience like no other, getting candy galore in what is already the happiest place on earth, following Ghost Mickeys on the trail, running down the lanes of Tomorrowland instead of merely circling our block, allowed to get in line as many times as they wished.
I love costuming the kids, so getting everything together for a big Halloween where we were really out and about, seeing and being seen, was great fun, with enough excitement to get DH and me to wear our first costumes ever in the 21st century. There really is something magical to being in the parks with so many kids in costumes and most of the adults, too--the only time people over age 12 can do so. I love people-watching and admiring others' craftiness (being myself utterly bereft), so the Oct 31 MHP was real fun. So many people really put a lot of thought, time, and effort into some terrific costumes. I'm not exactly shy, and I love telling people how much I love their outfits and such, so I had a great time complimenting people and finding out more about their costumes. My fave pair was a 20-something couple dressed as Aurora in her Briar Rose outfit and Prince Phillip in the outfit he wears when they first meet (and dance and sing) in the forest. When I told her she and the outfits were lovely, her boyfriend, bursting with pride, told me how she had sewn both herself, working for the entire month. It was a big, memorable night.
We hope to go back this summer, and we live in fear of the weather (much more heat, even though the Santa Anas did bring us two days of 90+ degrees in Nov) and the crowds, of never experiencing Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (the 3yo's fave ride) or the Little Mermaid (5yo's fave ride) as total walk-ons at the right time of day or "only" having to wait 10 minutes for TSMM (the 8yo's fave ride).
So I think the questions for you are more about which holiday will have more magic for your children and you? How important is it to you to ride lots of rides, lots of times? How much patience does your party have for waiting in lines or dealing with less elbow room in some active areas of the park? How much fun do you have with costumes (your own and others')?
Either way, there is plenty of magic and you MUST make the effort to get the seasonal beignets at the Mint Julep. :)

DL also has real reindeer at xmas time. & don't forget the xmas parade!! Which by the way is amazing!!! Also Santa Goofy...We have been for New Years so we got to see Santa and all and yes it was packed but the most amazing time ever... this year were finally gonna get annual passes & will go during halloween cuz I'm dying to see the mickey pumpkins in person...

Hi Carisa, if your dates are flexible, I DEFINITELY recommend earlier in December. You do get all the magical decorations and atmosphere, and with much fewer people there, it is more enjoyable. It looks like you have two four year olds. When my two girls were in early grade school, we would take them out of school for a week with no problem, so this worked for us. As they got older (upper grade school, and beyond) the school curriculum made it difficult to be out a week. But if you are not there, then yes, do consider going in the beginning or even middle of December.

-Shawn

We are very flexible. My twins are not in Kindergarden yet. Their preschool is just for fun, basically. So we ca take them out whenever.

TigerlilyAJ-My kids are very into costumes! They would love dressing up for Halloween every day. I'm not big on costumes, myself, but I would LOVE seeing different evil characters that are out for the Halloween season that aren't otherwise. Such as Cruella De Vil! I saw some others in advertisements last year that I thought would be so fun to meet! I'm not big into crowds, but it won't keep me away. We went last July! Very busy, bet we had a fabulous time! Our next trip will be in a few weeks, end of April. Hoping to avoid the spring breakers and summer breakers. So now we are trying to decide between early December or Early October. That way we will avoid some crowds, but it will still be decorated for either Halloween or Christmas. :thumbsup2

I've never been during Halloween--this year may be the first time if we can decide about the annual passes (ongoing discussion in our house).

Christmas time is amazing. I've been at least 5 times near Christmas and I love the way they decorate Small World and the magical "snowfall". Only downside is the crowds. The closer you get to Christmas, the more people will be in the park. We've gone days in December that I swear are more crowded than summer. Oh, and it sometimes rains, which is great for crowd control, but can be a pain if you aren't prepared. My mom got pneumonia a few years ago after a trip to DL because it was so cold and rainy and we were unprepared. It's not common, but it is something to consider.

That's horrible. Your poor mom. Whatever we decide, we will do a last minute trip so that we can avoid horrible weather. I don't do well in the rain.;) And since we live in CA we are able to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter