Trip Expansion... tack on San Diego??

maddiesmommie

Mouseketeer
:banana: Oh my.... we are getting a little carried away and are now considering tacking on a couple of days in San Diego. We will also be doing three days in Santa Maria to see my grandparents. This is our last big trip before DD starts kindergarten in the fall. We are using a ton of my husband's travel rewards and air miles, so the trip will be relatively inexpensive. We have been saving all those points for a moment like this. Question is, are we adding too much considering a few extra days in San Diego? I have never been.....
The trip would go something like this: Fly into S.D.,spend two days, drive rental car to disney, spend three days, drive to Santa Maria for 3-4 days, and then fly out of Santa Barabara back to Texas.

Am I crazy or is San Diego worth it?

San Diego is my hometown and even though I now live in Washington, DC I am still very proud of San Diego. It is a beautiful, fun city and well worth a visit. My list of must-see San Diego includes:

• Balboa Park
  • La Jolla Cove
  • San Diego Zoo

Sea World is fun too and there is great shopping at Horton Plaza. I also recommend Ruben H. Fleet Space Theater and Science Center in Balboa Park.

Have fun in SD. You'll be glad that you went!

Yes, with SeaWorld, the SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park & Legoland, you'll have more than enough to do for two days. I think doing SD first is also a good idea the balance of the live animal attractions will nicely compliment the audio-animitronics at DLR.

Yes!!!

The zoo has the pandas (and is very nice) which my daughter loves. The beaches are very nice also. We are driving down for the day when we visit DL in May. Since you'll only be there for 2 days, check out the places that were listed and decide what you want to do before you get there. There is also the Coronada De Mar hotel which attracts a number of day visitors.

Your DD may enjoy Legoland near SD. My DS went when he was 5 and loved it, we're returning this April to fulfill my "we'll go back to Legoland" promise to him !!

Sue from Boston

Just to buck the crowd, in order to make a relaxing end to the trip I would skip San Diego and plan 2 nights in Santa Barbara at the end of the trip to just unwind and play on the beach.

We had the same dilemma as you - we originally planned a two week holiday from Australia, principally to see Disneyland, but then started thinking that as we had come all this way, we should see everything we could.

We therefore added on a few ays in San Diego just to see the Zoo and Sea World.

It added a lot of driving to our trip, but it was worth it - my daughters (5 and 9 at that time) loved it and we thought both were well worth the addition.

Sea World was a great a day - the shows and the animals and the rides were wonderful, and the Zoo was sensational, especially the pandas, the mountain gorillas and the apes.

I totally understand where Judy is coming from, and a few days rest at a quiet beach would be lovely, but sometimes when you take these special holidays from afar you recognise this may be the one time you get to see these places, and you just have to do as much as you can.

We did the SCP in June and just loved it .
Flew into LAX went to san monica peir .
Did disney next day .
drove to SD did ZOO and a beach type Admusment park that night ,stayed the night Did SW .
Then Knottsberry followed by 2 more Disney days.
Very relaxing no rushing but worth every minute.

I would totally add on San Diego. I am a single mom and live in the North/West L.A. area and a few years ago the 1st vacation me and my ds took alone was drove directly to San Diego for 2 nights, stayed at the Wyndham Towers in the Gas Lamp District (gorgeous hotel) from Priceline for $45 per night then drove to anaheim for 3 nights for Disneyland and back home to L.A. but the Drive to Santa Maria is easy.

Have a Great Trip!

I would definitely add that on. We always have a great time when we add on San Diego. It's not that much more to do!! Have fun, it sounds like this is turning into a great trip!!

Andrea

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter