Trip Cancelled bc of March Closure — Best time to rebook??

My trips as an adult have been 1st week of September, 1st week of December, 1st week of June and a few times for spring break. The heat in September was BAD. So for me summer would be my last choice. I would choose a more crowded time with better weather but that is just our preference. Early June was starting to get hot but was tolerable. I would go during that time again.

Mid-August is when we will rebook if we are forced to. We have gone several times and the low crowds are fantastic. We take midday pool breaks to get out of the heat.
Unfortunately, this year’s going to play havoc with the usual crowd patterns and I don’t think mid-end August will still be lower crowds. If anything, we might see some spring break level of crowds this summer as people who cancelled are rebooking during the only other off-school times available to them.

We love Food & Wine. It now extends into the early part of November. We have found that to be a good opportunity for reasonable weather where you can stroll around the various food stations and eat outdoors comfortably. We just cancelled our 8-night trip that was to start March 26 and are looking at early November to rebook.

Don’t have a trip planned but a co-worker does and is looking to reschedule. Their thought process is April still could be dicey, perhaps into May as well. Also, is flying and being in the parks, if opened, during April/May the wisest thing? Taking precautions, especially if traveling with someone over 60 and/or health issues. They are hesitant to even book April or May due to the unknown factor, will we need to reschedule again. So, they are looking at August. They are a family of 5 and all have a say in this, of course, 5 different opinions.

Hey All! So the plug was just pulled yesterday on my beautifully planned, dialed in, super magical, amazing trip to WDW for 3/22-3/29. I’m sad, my kids are sad, the grandparents are sad, everyone’s just sad over here. But, it is what it is.

To try and lessen the sting, I’m trying to figure out when is best to rebook between now and the end of the year.

As a family that’s only ever gone over Spring Break in March (my parents started making the trek every year when I was a kid iin the 80’s/90’s and now we go every year with my own kids) — we have no idea what Disney even looks like during any other month.

I know from these boards that there really is no slow time anymore — and that’s fine by us as we’re used to Spring Break crowds.

But when would you guys recommend as a good time to go? We’re pretty flexible and could probably make most weeks work —although I see during the summer that weather is a factor as well as early fall (with hurricane season) — is early June terrible? how bad is it really during July and August? What’s it like during the fall? During Christmas? Would just love some thoughts from experienced Dis-ers!! Help a fellow traveler out — lol!

Sorry about your trip :(

Totally anecdotal and only one time experience, but we went for the 1st time last year in mid-August and would definitely do it again. We heard about the heat and the rain, so knew going in.
Yup, it was hot! It rained (downpoured on a few days) every afternoon. But there was a lot more room to move around and didn't feel nearly as hot or as crowded as it did President's week 2018. It peaked at 87 degrees when we were there and not sure if that's the norm or not, but it felt really HOT with the February crowds.

We packed crocs and heavy-duty disposable ponchos (that lasted mostly for the trip, had a few extras) and had a blast :)

(We're debating an August trip again for later this year since I have some flight credits on my hands that need to be booked by June...)

It’s really hard to know when this will be over. In addition, whatever is on the crowd calendars is now totally wrong as people re-book their trips. Our trip is currently scheduled for the first week in June (original booking.) We’re hoping our son’s school year doesn’t get extended and the crisis is over by then. If we can go, we assume it will be really busy with the extra re-bookings.

The way you will know which weeks are best is by which weeks Disney discounts to fill rooms.

Except the summer discounts had already been released, so those probably tell us nothing based on real data. It will be interesting to watch discounts going forward.

Except the summer discounts had already been released, so those probably tell us nothing based on real data. It will be interesting to watch discounts going forward.
Sorry, that’s what I meant. Once the parks reopen, if there are any big discounts that is the time to go.

I am concerned that we don't even know how long the closure will truly last. Unfortunately, I think it is going to last a lot longer than 2 weeks. I am no expert, but I think until we can see new cases of the virus drop down significantly I think that the parks are going to remain closed.

Some people have made a good point. If everyone is re-scheduling for August, then you're dealing with both oppressive heat and large crowds.

I would just rebook with what you are comfortable with. If extreme heat is a problem for you, stay away from June-September at all costs. As far as crowds, we currently have no way of knowing when and if people will be rebooking. This shut down is completely unprecedented. I go at the end of May. If they are still closed, we will probably just scrap the entire vacation for this year.

Some people have made a good point. If everyone is re-scheduling for August, then you're dealing with both oppressive heat and large crowds.
I know. We are booked for August and we could not get several ADRs at 180+. (glitches on booking day). Really nervous about crowds now. I purposely don't book at high volume times and fear this will stuff the parks, so now it will be both hot AND crowded, lol. Might consider Christmas at this point.

Hey All! So the plug was just pulled yesterday on my beautifully planned, dialed in, super magical, amazing trip to WDW for 3/22-3/29. I’m sad, my kids are sad, the grandparents are sad, everyone’s just sad over here. But, it is what it is.

To try and lessen the sting, I’m trying to figure out when is best to rebook between now and the end of the year.

As a family that’s only ever gone over Spring Break in March (my parents started making the trek every year when I was a kid iin the 80’s/90’s and now we go every year with my own kids) — we have no idea what Disney even looks like during any other month.

I know from these boards that there really is no slow time anymore — and that’s fine by us as we’re used to Spring Break crowds.

But when would you guys recommend as a good time to go? We’re pretty flexible and could probably make most weeks work —although I see during the summer that weather is a factor as well as early fall (with hurricane season) — is early June terrible? how bad is it really during July and August? What’s it like during the fall? During Christmas? Would just love some thoughts from experienced Dis-ers!! Help a fellow traveler out — lol!
we usually go the week before thanksgiving or Thanksgiving week its is my favorite time. i have never gone in march but i do not like the summer. it was miserable because of heat and humidity, WDW seems to be opening parks earlier during the summer to beat the heat, if you do go in summer i would plan to go when park opens and leave by 11 or 12 noon. or do after hours events.i think i enjoy Thanksgiving because of mild temperatures and Christmas atmosphere. Sorry your trip is canceled i would imagine disney would be so springy and festive during Match and a little heat should be nice after a long rainy winter.my nephew is graduating and had planed a once in a lifetime trip to hawaii and had to postpone it due to closures.

Honestly, I wouldn't rebook for at least a year. I do not think it will be allowed to reopen until maybe late fall in a best case scenario. I think life as we know it will be very different. I would get a refund if you can and if not, rebook for the farthest date you can get.

We always go the week after Thanksgiving. The temperatures are usually nice and everything is decorated for the holidays. It’s a lovely time to visit!

We have a mid august trip scheduled, and I would be pretty surprised if everything is up and running as normal by then.

I think august is the earliest that we may see any return to "normal".

The impact on the economy and jobs is going to be enormous. I would expect very low crowds whenever the parks do re-open, as many people will probably not be able to afford the trip. Latest projections are for 20% unemployment.

I'd love to think this is just a month or two of inconvenience, but I think this is going to be devastating for millions of people.

To re-book. This is becoming more risky each day. We appear headed to a recession, many people out of jobs, experts are now saying this could be with us for 18months. It appears its time to hunker down, save your dollars and some how get the millenials to adhere to the guidelines!! I am confident that the underlying economy is strong and if this all is resolved quickly the economy will come back quickly. But if it does got for 18months....this will hot be pretty and the economy will not recover quickly.

Last edited:
Also, is flying and being in the parks, if opened, during April/May the wisest thing? Taking precautions, especially if traveling with someone over 60 and/or health issues.
No one over 60 or with serious underlying health issues should be traveling at all until next year, when immunity becomes more widespread and there is possibly a vaccine. If you're on the younger side and healthy, it would be fine, though.

Flying is not the boogyman people make it out to be, btw. The whole "recirculated air" theory has been proven to be a canard. This virus is primarily a contact virus, anyway, that you get by touching infected surfaces and then by touching your eyes, nose or mouth. It is not a primarily airboarne virus like measles. Only if someone coughed particles directly at you would you breathe it in. That's why the experts are emphasizing handwashing, and telling healthy people wearing masks is not helpful. You could touch an infected surface on an airplane, yes, but you could do that at Disney World or even your supermarket just as easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter