Trip Advice....

metsno1

Mouseketeer
So I've searched the internet for months now, just looking for a place to "talk" about our upcoming trip to the West Coast. Never thought to just look down about a half a page here on the Dis for a thread about our destination!! I shoulda known.....

There will be four of us on this trip: Me (41), DW(39), DD (10), and DD(8). My wife has managed to convince me that there are, in fact, other places to go besides WDW. The kids have reluctantly accepted this fact also. Plus, there's always next year for another trip to Coronado Springs!! :cool1:

First, our itinerary, and then the questions:

Fly to Vegas August 4 (arriving about 10 AM). Overnight that evening at Excalibur.

Next day, drive to Grand Canyon North Rim for two nights of camping.

Then to Zion for three nights at Watchman.

We then have about a week to kill before we have reservations at Summerdale campground just south of Yosemite for three nights.

On to Lodgepole Campground at Sequoia for three nights.

One night in Death Valley or thereabouts on the way back to Vegas.

Back to Vegas for one night, and then return home on August 23.

My question is about that "middle week" where we don't have any concrete plans (or reservations yet!!). Currently, we're considering leaving Zion, back through Vegas and then down to LA for a couple days. Leave LA, drive the PCH to San Francisco for a night, and then on to Yosemite.

My question is really about making the most of that time. I know that we want to slow things down, definitely want to drive the Coast, and that my daughter's-despite suggestions that it'll be disappointing-really want to see Hollywood. And yes, my wife wants to do one of the cheesy "tour of the stars homes" bus rides!

I'm really struggling with that week. None of us have ever been to the West Coast before, and who knows when we'll go back? So I have to focus on not following my usual instincts, which are to cram as much as I can into that week. The kids will likely have had enough "scenery" by that point, and will want to do more fun stuff.

So I guess my question is this: If you had a week to kill in that part of the world, what would you do????? Since we're camping for the rest of the trip, we can afford to spend a little more on this part, but we'd like hotels to stay under $150 or so per night. We LOVE cool local restaurants that don't usually attract tourists.

And of course, there's always the possibility of DL!!:laughing: But the cost of tickets for two days or so seems like it would be prohibitive on this trip-unless someone knows something I don't about making a couple days in the Parks more affordable????!!!

As always, thanks so much!!

If you head back towards Vegas - what about Hoover Dam?

Zion to Los Angeles is 425 miles approx. Then from LA up the coast to SFO is at least 2 days (via the coastal route).

What I would suggest is if you are set on the Coastal route, spend a couple of days in LA - doing the touristy things ie. Hollywood, Star Home Tours etc. You are right, cheesy and not something I would do (although I have been to Hollywood many times, just never did the bus tours). Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita is a great amusement park if that is your thing. Raging Waters in San Dimas is a huge water park and lots of fun.

As you head up the Coast - Hearst Castle in San Simeon is great and then on up into Carmel and Monterey. Fab resort in San Simeon: LA to San Simeon approx. 4 hours. http://www.sspines.com/
San Simeon to Monterey - is 100 miles but it is 100 miles of slow moving traffic, sheer cliffs and beautiful scenery - it can take hours on a busy weekend day. And I do mean HOURS
Get your castle tickets ahead of time - they sell out quickly.
Monterey to SFO is another 130 miles but again, lots of coastal driving but not as bad as San Simeon to Monterey

Monterey is home to the world famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, miles of coast line filled with tide pools and otters to observe along with a gazillion shops, restaurants and galleries from Carmel to Cannery Rowhttp://www.montereybayaquarium.org//efc/splash.aspx?gclid=CNG63smylZQCFSQdagodqxm5uA
As you continue up the coast the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk is worth a day of old fashion coastal amusement. Monterey to Santa Cruz is a little over an hour drive http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

I really like the Best Western Sea Cliff Inn in Aptos, CA. http://www.seacliffinn.com/

You can continue up the coast into SFO or at Santa Cruz veer inland and head towards Yosemite. San Jose has a great Tech Museum as well as a wonderful childrens museum and a world class Egyptian Museum, along with Winchester Mystery House just to name a few attractions. http://sanjose.org/

SFO - if only for a day - I would make sure to go out onto the Golden Gate Bridge and visit the Exploratorium (near the S. entrance of the bridge)www.exploratorium.edu then wander along Ocean Ave (or what ever it is called) from the Exploratorium to the wharf area. http://www.fishermanswharf.org/ Have a sundae in Ghiradelli Sq. and some crab and sourdough at the wharf.

FYI - that is a lot of driving - when you say a week are you talking 5 or 7 days?

Figure:
Zion to LA - 1 very long day - 450 miles
LA to Monterey - 2 long days - 340 miles - or 1 really, really long day
Monterey to SFO - 1 day
SFO to Yosemite - 1 day

Sounds like an awesome trip - happy planning
FYI - I love AAA Trip Trek, worth the cost of my annual membership just for the road trip feature

MamaCat gives lots of good info. :thumbsup2

I've done "the coast" between LA & Monterey twice & agree with the above. Plan an overnight near Cambria. Here's a thread where alot of this was discussed. Also in the thread are two real good links on things to do in the Central Coast.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1761560

& if you have an extra day or two.....there's a little amusement park down in Anaheim.....this guy thought it would be neat to design a park that adults & kids could enjoy themselves together & equally. Not sure how everything went with that though. ;)

Have a great time planning this mega trip. :hippie:

Thanks so much for the great tips! This is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for!

And yeah, what's that little park in Anaheim called? I can never seem to remember....:cool2:

Our usual tendency is to vacation at WDW also but this summer we are doing the California coast from San Francisco ending at DL (it would be hard to go all that way and NOT do it!). I figured out what nights we'd be where and used hotwire for most of our rooms since I quickly figured out that hotels in the summer in California aren't cheap if you want to stay close to the ocean. For 14 nights of hotel rooms we are averaging about $110/night and we are staying at very nice places. We also are using 2 days from our non-expiring WDW tickets while at DL and my DD also wants to see Hollywood etc so we are staying in Santa Monica for a couple days which is near the beach yet accessible to the sights of LA. In San Fran we are staying at the Fisherman's Wharf area and doing the Alcatraz tour...in between SF and Anaheim we will be staying in Monterey and Pismo Beach besides Santa Monica. Have a great trip!

The trip on Highway 1 is a sight to not be missed. I may be partial but I think the California Coast is an absolutely beautiful sight. So I am someone who will say do the drive up the coast and enjoy our beautiful state.

ATV trip through Valley of Fire (or to a gold mine)
Mule trip in Zion National Park
See a redwood tree

Looks like we have that middle week decided!

We'll leave Zion on Sunday morning, and try and make it as far as Bakersfield. Then the next morning, we'll head over to Monterey, where we have ressies at the Lone Oak Lodge for two nights in a queen/two twin suite. Maybe we'll head down to Pfeiffer State Park, or hang out in Monterey that day/evening. The next day, we'll do the aquarium.

Then it's up the coast to San Fran for two more nights. Haven't decided on a hotel there yet. Trying to find a practical location that we can stay that's around $150/night including parking. Not exactly easy to find something decent-but we'll manage, I'm sure!

Thanks for all the advice and tips! Any thoughts on the San Fran accommodations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter