Trilogy of Dreams: A First Year Anniversary TR

ForKeeps

DIS Veteran
In January 2006 during an increadibly boring Christmas vacation (after an increadily my increadibly intense law exam period) I googled "WDW" on a whim.

The last time I had been to the World I was 16. DH (then DBF) and I had moved in together six months ago but we had never ever been on a real vacation together.

He hadn't been to Disney since he was really young. But he was a Disney nut and convincing him to sign on for a May 2006 Disney trip was not that difficult.

I spent the next four months on the boards, learning about the dining plan, reading tips about the parks, and drooling over the menus. I just couldn't wait.

We had a great time. A GREAT TIME. It was four nights, five days of go, go, go.

vacation167.jpg

We had to do everything...it was discovering WDW from a different perspective. We had so much fun.

vacation592.jpg

vacation629.jpg

And two days into the trip, on a quite walk along the Sassagoula river at the Port Orleans French Quarter, DH asked me to marry him.

That's right....I was getting hitched.

vacation708.jpg

As soon as we got home I started planning. It took a bit, but a few months later, we had a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding in our sights.

We were married on January 4, 2007 at 2:30 pm at Disney's Wedding Pavilion.

TS06051-4-07.jpg

It was a trip of a lifetime that meritted my very first trip report. You can read all about it here if you missed it the first time.
My DFTW Trip Report

We were so sad to return home from that trip. And this sadness was only cured in July 2007 when I took the bull by the horns and booked our first year anniversary trip.

We were going back.

This is the story of that trip. It began as a trip down memory lane, and it turned into a trip that took us back to the place where it al started, but grew to include new experiences like a Disney Crusie and stay at the Contemporary.

I hope you'll read along with me as I complete the trip report that completes our trilogy of dreams.
Disney2008202.jpg

What a gorgeous wedding photo, this sounds as though it will be great :goodvibes

Hi ForKeeps,

I read your wedding TR last year and loved it! I never posted anything, I don't think I had a username back then, but I have to tell you that it was the first of several wedding trippies I read that inspired me to have a DFTW of my own! (My DH & I got married at Sea Breeze Point this past December.) Anyway, I'm glad that you are writing another TR and I'm definitely subscribing! :goodvibes

After an eternity of waiting December 30th finally came. Even though our flight wasn't to leave until 3PM, I couldn't help but be excited. So when I woke up at 6AM, I smiled....DISNEY DAY. There really isn't anything that beats it.

We were all packed and ready to go. There was nothing to do but wait. Because we love to fly out of Buffalo, and I couldn't ease my anxiety that we may get tied up crossing the boarder, we left the house by 11AM. We were on our way.

Disney2008002.jpg

Usually we fly out on the earliest flight (6AM), but because I managed to find a direct flight on AirTran, we thought that it would be better to have the direct flight and forfeit the 2 extra hours we would have had if we left on the first flight out.

But after arriving at the airport 3 hours early (because as it turned out, there were no problems getting across the boarder), and being delayed an additional hour...I was seriously reconsidering.

The delay wouldn't have been a problem...except for the fact that we didn't have our Magical Express luggage tags on our luggage. And we didn't have the tags on our luggage because UPS lost them. I didn't realize they had lost them until a week before the trip. Disney wouldn't send any more because they wouldn't arrive by post in time (with the holidays interrupting the scheduled days). UPS was no help at all. And as a matter of fact...they still haven't found the package. Needless to say I won't ever ship with them.

Although the Magical Express has a backup system, I was told that if my flight was delayed, they might not be able to retrieve our luggage for us. We definitely didn't want to have to wait to pick up our own luggage because we wanted to get to the park to see Holiday Wishes.

To make matters worse, the flight was the roughest flight I've ever been on. EVER. Serious turbulence.

eAnd as I sat on the direct flight, glaring at my watch I realized 2 things: (1) WE would be running through the airport to try to catch the first Magical Express we could be on and (2) there was no way we were going to make Holiday Wishes that night (and I had been oh so looking forward to it).

Although we were supposed to get in by 6, we didn't get in until 7:30.

Then we did proceed to run through the airport.

Luckily Disney was able to retrieve our bags for us, so we weren't going to have to wait for it at the baggage claim.

Instead, we were off on the Magical Express to the Port Orleans French Quarter.

It wasn't until we hopped off the bus and clambored into the French Quarter that it truly felt real.

The magic.

We were back.

Because we were so late there was no one in line at the check in. The CM who checked us in was super nice, and gave us Anniversary celebration buttons. She was just so great.

But, DH and I were still on fast forward, we needed to find our room, drop off our coats, grab some dinner, and head to the park. Time...it was a wasting.

We were excited to find that the POFQ, which continues to be our favourite resort, had upgraded our room to a waterview!

Disney2008012.jpg

We decided that because we had already missed Holiday Wishes, it was best to grab a meal at the Resort foodcourt. We love the food there, and we were starving. We both grabbed the Chicken Parm and an order of beignets for dessert.

Disney2008005.jpg

Disney2008007.jpg

It was just as good as we remembered. It was way too much food (as always), but it was darn good. Those beignets are amazing.

While we were waiting a parade came through -- it was so much fun.

Disney2008011.jpg

After we were stuffed to the gills, we were ready to grab a bus to the MK. The park was scheduled to be open until 12AM, and we had stuff to do.

Next up: Magic delayed, not denied - Part 2

:cool1: me doin' the happy dance

for all of you out there that have not had the chance to read Tiffany's writing you are in for a BIG treat. Her DFTW trip report was what inspired my DFTW.

So needless to say SUBSCRIBING:surfweb:

P.S. Hey Tif - can you guys go to Disney at least once a year - just so that we can read about it.:worship:

Hi ForKeeps!

I am really enjoying this trip report. Your writing style is so entertaining and the pictures are great. Are you planning to continue/finish? If you have finished, can you tell me where to read more?

Thanks!

First of all, I have to apologize. I'm so sorry it's been so long since I've posted. The last time I wrote a trip report I was in school and I had a bit more flexibility to write. This year I'm juggling articling with training for a marathon and of course...planning....but more on that later...;)

:cool1: me doin' the happy dance

for all of you out there that have not had the chance to read Tiffany's writing you are in for a BIG treat. Her DFTW trip report was what inspired my DFTW.

So needless to say SUBSCRIBING:surfweb:

P.S. Hey Tif - can you guys go to Disney at least once a year - just so that we can read about it.:worship:

That is just too sweet. I'm so sorry I'v been so deliquent in updating this trippie, but I promise that that is all to change now. I promise.

Hmm....a trip once a year eh...that's not a bad idea. The problem is....we've complete the trilogy now...the proposal, the wedding, and the anniversary. However will I come up with a title for the next TR? ;)

Hi ForKeeps!

I am really enjoying this trip report. Your writing style is so entertaining and the pictures are great. Are you planning to continue/finish? If you have finished, can you tell me where to read more?

Thanks!

Thanks for the amazing compliment! I am definitely planning on continuing and finishing. I will have more time these days to write away. It's been a busy winter, but this spring I'm going to get it all out, I hope you'll stick around for more :)

:yay:

I had done my research on the DIS, and I knew that NYE was going to get crazy. I had a plan. We were going to skip breakfast and rely on granola bars until an early lunch, so that we could sleep until the last minute but still get to Epcot for rope drop.

I had heard that you had to be in your park of choice by 11AM, because the parks could reach capacity and you could get shut out. We were immediately going to Soarin for a fastpass, then wait for Soarin, then go to Test Track and then after that just wander around Future World until the World Showcase opened.

So we were on track...and hopped off the bus by 8:20. But to our confusion people were already streaming into the park. Apparently they drop the rope a bit early on busy days.

So there was no time to take pictures, we rushed to Soarin as fast as we could speedwalk (did you know that you're not supposed to run in the parks?). It turns out that we weren't the only ones. There was literally a stream of people that were headed to get fastpasses. It literally looked like the start of a road race. I was surprised there wasn't stations of gadorade set up along the way. Even though we reached the land building within 5 minutes there was already a 20 minute wait posted.

Disney2008101.jpg

DH quickly got in a humoungous line for fastpasses (being distributed for 10:30am) and I did some quick thinking.

I looked at the Soarin' entrance....and then at the Living with the Land ride.

Back to Soarin'....and back to the Living with the Land Ride.

By the time DH had finally worked his way to the front of the fastpass line the standby wait for Soarin had crept to 40 minutes. It was just a crazy scene. There was a woman in front of DH that literally took 20 fastpasses. I'm not exaggerating. She had a stack of tickets and stood there for 5 minutes getting fastpasses.

So we decided to change our plan because we really like the Living with the Land ride and the last time we were in town it was closed. I has read that there was no more CM that came in the boat with you so I was interested to see what that was like.

I really do love that ride. And boy...I loved seeing that nine pound lemon. I love lemon, so a nine pound lemon sent my jaw dropping.

Disney2008108.jpg

We hopped off the ride and decided to head to Test Track because our fastpasses weren't until 10:30. When we got there it was already a 60 minute wait. But we decided that we were going to wait anyway, so best to just get on with it.

Disney2008118.jpg

People were really friendly and chatty in line, and so the time passed quickly. We had a great time.

Afterward we still had some time to kill, so we decided to head to MouseGears.

DH was devestated when I told him I wouldn't bring my bride ears back to WDW. He pouted and sniffed and said that they looked cute. But I knew he really just liked the fact that we received special pixie dust because of them.

But I held firm. I wasn't a bride anymore, I had my time, and I had a great time. But I truly believe that it isn't good to live in the past. So I was determined to find some ears that were just as fun.

We love MouseGears and we found a lot of neat stuff there. We turned the corner and stumbled across the ears section and volia...there they were.

I loved them. So sparkley. So pretty. And...strangely enough, I hadn't seen anyone with them. I was sold.

And DH...well...he agreed that these ears were just as cute.

Disney2008121.jpg

Within 5 minutes a girl stopped me and asked me where I found them. Only in WDW will someone stop you as if you have the new Kate Spade bag and ask you where you got your ears.

Well...it was that time. Time to head to Soarin'

Disney2008125.jpg

As you know, from the last trippie, I just love Soarin.

Unfortunately this trip I had the distinct displeasure of sitting next to a copule that talked through the whole ride.

What a way to ruin the experience. I mean, it's a whole sensory experience. I don't need the smelly man next to me (to be clear -- this was not DH) explain the person to his right that we aren't actually moving....it's the screen that makes it seem that way. This will be a running theme throughout our trip -- people who talk through rides and attractions.

But, still high on that Disney magic I just smiled and headed to Living with the seas.

Disney2008126.jpg

The lines for Nemo and Crush were both too long. We knew we'd be back, so we just walked around the aquarium.

Disney2008131.jpg

By then, it was getting close to 11AM, so I knew the world showcase would open soon. As we walked over to Canada, it started to rain. And like true Disney experts, DH and I grabbed our rain ponchos from our well-stocked backpack and continued along the way.

We decided to go to the Yorkshire County Fish Shop and used a counterservice to for lunch.

Disney2008136.jpg

We found a quiet bench (that wasn't too wet from the rain) and enjoyed a snack. Most people were still in Future World, so we had a chance to relax and enjoy the ambiance.
Disney2008137.jpg

Disney2008139.jpg

It was one of those perfect moments. Quiet disney music humming in the background, while you celebrate your first year anniversary at the place you both love.

We lingered for a long time, just enjoying the moment.

Up next: Day 2 continued: New Years Eve at Epcot - Round and round the world showcase we go.

Subbing, I read your Disney wedding trippie too. Your off to a great start! Glad to hear you love POFQ, be sure to include pictures. We are booking it for our first stay at a moderate. Love your minnie ears too.

Sounds like lovely day so far and it looks like you're doing well missing the crowds, cute ears BTW :)

Subbing, I read your Disney wedding trippie too. Your off to a great start! Glad to hear you love POFQ, be sure to include pictures. We are booking it for our first stay at a moderate. Love your minnie ears too.

Thanks!!! I knew that I'd never be able to top my DFTW trip, so I tried to change things up this trip...starting with those ears.

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we were REALLY moving this past trip, so we didn't take a lot of pictures at the resort. The good news is that I went back to our very first trip (when DH proposed) and uploaded some pics from the POFQ. They don't fit in with this TR, but here they are in all their glory!

vacation1019.jpg

vacation1017.jpg

vacation1012.jpg

vacation070.jpg

vacation686.jpg

vacation685.jpg

vacation684.jpg

vacation683.jpg

vacation682.jpg

vacation681.jpg

Sounds like lovely day so far and it looks like you're doing well missing the crowds, cute ears BTW :)

Well DisneyJo...I'm afraid that trend is about to change. We did pretty well for crowds before our dinner reservation....but by 7pm it was insanity. Still fun...but insanity!!! :scared1:

Loved your wedding TR and subbing for this one -- great so far & looking forward to more!

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to writing the remainder of this report...and...my next one. DH and I booked a trip to Disneyland this June. :banana: :banana:

After we had lingered in England enjoying the quiet for as long as possible we prepared ourselves for the craziness that was about to come.

I knew that we were one of the few people who were actually in the World Showcase because most people were in lines in Future World. Seriously...at one point DH and I strolled past Spaceship: Earth and the wait was over 2.5 hours...we of course...didn't wait.

One of my most favourite things to do at WDW is to stroll around the world showcase...which is a good thing because I was going to to get to do it three times that day.

We started by heading to see the new O Canada show. Now, I must admit...rather shamefully, that I don't believe I ever had gone to see O Canada show. But I had heard that the show was getting a makeover with Martin Short hosting.

Disney2008143.jpg

I have to admit...it was pretty good. Of course, I think DH and I (perhaps the only Canadians in that showing) were the ones doing the majority of the laughing. There seemed to be a lot of jokes directed towards Canadians.

It was also pretty inspiring. It made me want to visit more Canadian cities and see it all for myself. I even saw the building that I work in during the movie!

After it was over, DH and I headed to Mexico. We were trying to go to the rides in the countries that we had previously skipped for time. The Gran Fiesta was first on the list. The line was fairly long, if I remember correctly we waited for about 30 minutes before we embarked on the boat ride. The ride was pleasant enough, but we were right to cross it off our list previously. IMHO it's great if you have the time, but if not, I'd spend it on other things.

Norway was next. I had heard great thinks about the Malestorm. It was about another 40 minute wait for this one. I was not too fond of it, and found some parts kind of scary. But DH seemed to like it.

Afterwards I grabbed an ice cream cone with a snack credit and we took some pictures around the world showcase.

Disney2008157.jpg

Disney2008150.jpg

Disney2008160.jpg

Disney2008162.jpg

Normally DH and I like to spend a lot of time in Italy. We love trying the wine tastings because the wines they have are a bit different from our every day wines at home. Unfortunately because it was New Years Eve, neither Italy nor France was offering wine tastings or flights. Instead they had set up the lines for ordering drinks for later on in the night. We may like to split a wine flight, but drinking a lot in the middle of the afternoon isn't our style...so we moved on...to England again.

For those of you keeping track...that's lap one.

I had booked the earliest dinner reservation at Le Cellier I could - 4:10. We were in the DDP and I liked the dinner menu better than lunch. I had called as soon as the line opened 180 days out and there was 1 spot left. I couldn't believe it. What luck!!! I love Le Cellier. That's right, I buy into the hype.

But we still had a lot of time before our 4:10 reservation. We headed back through Future World and balked at the wait times. Instead we headed to every shop we could and looked for souveniers. We drooled over some Disney art, but in the end didn't buy anything.

Afterwards we headed back to Mexico and began the second lap around the World Showcase. We leisurely headed into the shops from country to country until reaching Canada.

We wandered around Canada...

Disney2008174.jpg

...and still checked into Le Cellier early

Disney2008176.jpg

When we reached our table we quickly decided and within minutes had the famous pretzel bread in front of us. DH tried the cheese soup and I have to admit, it was pretty good. I tried the duck to start to be adventureous. DH loved his soup...and I...wished I had ordered it. But my mushroom filet was amazing, and DH also loved his NY strip steak. For dessert I had the creme brulee, which was amazing and DH had the whiskey cake.

By the time we finished and left Le Cellier it had gotten dark. The first Illuminations was scheduled for 7:30, and they were handing out hats and horns for the celebration. The lines for the hats in Future World were insane. It looked like an hour wait.

DH and I passed on the wait and instead headed over to scope out a good spot for Illuminations. While DH waited and held our spots I went and found some hats as a surprise.

It may have sounded like a good idea...and fun to hand out hats and horns. But let me tell you...an hour of kids blowing those horns in your ear while waiting for Illuminations to start will drive you bonkers. Parents must possess some inate ability to block it out. I certainly didn't have that and I was losing my patience as I sat on the ground and had one child in particular blow his horm 2 inches from my head.

Disney2008179.jpg

That night the Peace on Earth Illuminations was scheduled to play...and I had been looking forward to it for ages, so I decided to stick it out. It was so worth the wait. People crowded in at the last minute and tried to push me out of the way. But I put my Toronto TTC training to good use and stood my ground. Halfway through it began to pour. The ponchos came out once again and the crowd dissapated as DH and I stayed until the end.

After it ended we headed to Mexico to get a Margarita for me. DH wanted a beer from England, so we made our way (very slowly) around the world showcase, which was now packed, to get it for him. (Lap 3) When we got there the line was so long that after waiting 10 minutes he decided to pass.

We were both so tired and agreed that we were not going to make it for midnight. We had had so much fun...but we were EXHAUSTED. We decided to have our own mini countdown and head back to the hotel.

Disney2008180.jpg

It was just so busy, and we were so tired. With a final glance behind us, we headed to the exit.

Disney2008185.jpg

When we arrived back at the POFQ we gingerly took off our shoes and collapsed into bed.

Next up: Day 3 - Part 1: Our last visit to MGM studios.

Hi ForKeeps,

I read your wedding TR last year and loved it! I never posted anything, I don't think I had a username back then, but I have to tell you that it was the first of several wedding trippies I read that inspired me to have a DFTW of my own! (My DH & I got married at Sea Breeze Point this past December.) Anyway, I'm glad that you are writing another TR and I'm definitely subscribing! :goodvibes

Holly -- I'm not sure how I missed your extra sweet comment...but thank you so much!!! It's been a while since I've been over to the Wedding Board. Did you write a TR? Because I'd love to read it. The pictures in your signature are just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

OMG you were right about the crowds getting heavy :eek: 40 mins for Maelstrom :faint: I'm glad you stuck it out to watch the fireworks though :)

Hi! I remember you! You guys got married on my 30th b-day. I'm enjoying this so far!

I remember you as well, I think you were one of the 1st TRs I ever read on the DIS! Great so far. We were in Epcot 2 years ago on NYE- it was insane I know!! We barely made it to midnight but ended up waiting until close to 1am to leave since the crowd of people was scary.

Are you still updating?

Great TR so far! I followed your Wedding TR - Your wedding was on my birthday too :D

I have always wanted to do NYE at Epcot - I've imagined going around the countries celebrating midnight in each one as I go... sounds as if the reality is quite different!

Looking forward to more!

Holly -- I'm not sure how I missed your extra sweet comment...but thank you so much!!! It's been a while since I've been over to the Wedding Board. Did you write a TR? Because I'd love to read it. The pictures in your signature are just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I subscribed to your trip report right away, but for some reason I never got updates. :confused3 Anyway, I just now found it again on the trip report board and read the installments that I missed. It looks like you had a fun start to your trip! I would LOVE to visit WDW during New Years. I know it's crazy then, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun! I hope you continue updating, because I definitely want to read more! :goodvibes

Thanks for the compliments on my pictures. I used Randy Chapman, of course. I wonder how many dis brides DON'T use him? I'm sure it's the minority. No, I didn't write a trip report. I felt bad for not doing so, especially since all of the wedding trip reports helped me so much. But, well, the truth is I had quite a few problems with quite a few of my vendors and I guess I just didn't want to seem like a complainer. Or make anyone nervous about their own weddings. Especially since, despite the issues, I'm still SO glad I had a Disney wedding and don't regret it for a second. Does that make any sense? But my DH & I are headed back to WDW in September and I think I'm going to try to write a trippie for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter