tricky ticket upgrade to dvc ap gold pass question

That sounds like the CM may be correct since she told you that you would receive credit for what you paid and in this case it's a special ticket so it does have some difference from a ticket with WP's added. Bridging is bringing the credit for a discounted ticket up to gate level before upgrading.

If I may ask - are you going during a Gold AP blackout period that you would want to use the ticket to do an upgrade? If not then you are losing the savings from the ticket. But if so then you are getting in during the days you otherwise couldn't but using a ticket from UCT or any other discount broker will allow bridging and retain the ticket savings. Although if you plan to use the Water parks and can still upgrade then this is the only way to go as otherwise it would normally require an upgrade to an AP that hast the water parks.
No we are not going during a blackout period we are going this Sept and then next Sept.

Be aware, there's no cost benefit to upgrading; you'll only get credit for the amount you paid for the ticket. Tickets purchased directly from Disney don't get "bridged," so don't expect a credit for the gate price.
Other than the ability to upgrade and bypass the blackout periods for the silver and gold pass, I was very happy (and surprised) this is allowed.

Let me just make sure I do this correctly. I purchase my 5 day park hopper from under cover tourist (e-ticket), use the ticket (so I can get the current ticket rate), go to guest services and then update to the goldpass.

Let me just make sure I do this correctly. I purchase my 5 day park hopper from under cover tourist (e-ticket), use the ticket (so I can get the current ticket rate), go to guest services and then update to the goldpass.
Yes, as long as you upgrade it outside of one of the blackout periods.

I am SO SO glad I came across this thread while searching for something else!!! The kids and I are going to WDW in December which includes 3 blackout dates on the end. I was planning on buying DD a platinum AP since she and I are returning in May. But it sounds like I can buy her a park hopper with 1 more day than we plan on using and on the very last day, AFTER we are done with parks in December, upgrade her park hopper to a Gold AP. That is correct, right???

I already have a Gold renewal AP that I will have to upgrade to Platinum for myself. But so glad I can get away with Gold for her!

Thank you all for this GREAT information!!!

I am SO SO glad I came across this thread while searching for something else!!! The kids and I are going to WDW in December which includes 3 blackout dates on the end. I was planning on buying DD a platinum AP since she and I are returning in May. But it sounds like I can buy her a park hopper with 1 more day than we plan on using and on the very last day, AFTER we are done with parks in December, upgrade her park hopper to a Gold AP. That is correct, right???

I already have a Gold renewal AP that I will have to upgrade to Platinum for myself. But so glad I can get away with Gold for her!

Thank you all for this GREAT information!!!

Whoops! Wrong information.

Last edited:

You can upgrade from a PH to the Gold AP as long as the day that you upgrade is NOT a blackout date. You say that the last 3 days of your trip are blackout dates, but the entire last two weeks are blacked out from 12/19/2016 - 1/2/2017. So if your last 3 days are 12/19-12/21 you will not be able to upgrade on 12/22 because it's also a blackout date. PHs expire 14 days after first use so even if you used the PH on the 19th, it would already be expired if you held onto it until 1/3/2017 to upgrade it.

Ok... Just saw your post prior to mine... don't know how I missed it. But according to this, it looks like you can????

As supersnoop said, you can absolutely upgrade anytime on that last day, make sure the price gets bridged, and you will be fine. It is done all the time. Often Florida residents come during the lockout period and have to buy regular tickets. We always tell them to use the ticket and upgrade to the special tickets or annual passes before they leave, as long as they won't be using it until the blackout is over. You can upgrade, but can't use it.

It's not a make it or break deal, just kinda want to be prepared :-)

Ok... Just saw your post prior to mine... don't know how I missed it. But according to this, it looks like you can????

It's not a make it or break deal, just kinda want to be prepared :-)

Yes, you can. Just do it before you leave the park at the end of the day, or as you leave the park if that's before closing hours. The fact it's a blackout day won't matter.

Yes, you can. Just do it before you leave the park at the end of the day, or as you leave the park if that's before closing hours. The fact it's a blackout day won't matter.
Thanks for setting me straight! I'll edit my post later today :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter