tricky ticket upgrade to dvc ap gold pass question

If you do this, can you upgrade to the platinum ticket, and is there any advantage in doing this?? For instance I buy UT tickets, then upgrade to an platinum annual ticket with DVC discount. When would the annual ticket date begin?

I think it varies ours got dated back to when the ticket was first used on dec 20. but I've seen that some get theirs dated for the day they upgrade

If you do this, can you upgrade to the platinum ticket, and is there any advantage in doing this?? For instance I buy UT tickets, then upgrade to an platinum annual ticket with DVC discount. When would the annual ticket date begin?

It dates to the first day you used the ticket.

Sometimes it can get mixed up and I've heard of where the AP gets dates to expire at what would have been the tickets expiration to getting a start date of when you did it. Technically correct though is it's dated to the first day you used the ticket.

Got to thinking do you have to have one day left on your ticket to upgrade? or can you enter the park the last day of your ticket and then upgrade before leaving when you have no days left on your ticket? thanks

Got to thinking do you have to have one day left on your ticket to upgrade? or can you enter the park the last day of your ticket and then upgrade before leaving when you have no days left on your ticket? thanks
You can upgrade on your last day.

Hi-I am going to disney staying at AKL as a "regular person" August 23 with a 7 day hopper pass. My DVC purchase is complete and I got my member packet today. Sounds like my member number will come shortly. So I was told to go in the first day using the pass included with my package. then after day 1, I could upgrade to the gold pass. Does anyone know if I can upgrade right away upon Park entry. The reason I ask is I want to use the photo pass that comes with the annual pass on day 1. Thanks!

Hi-I am going to disney staying at AKL as a "regular person" August 23 with a 7 day hopper pass. My DVC purchase is complete and I got my member packet today. Sounds like my member number will come shortly. So I was told to go in the first day using the pass included with my package. then after day 1, I could upgrade to the gold pass. Does anyone know if I can upgrade right away upon Park entry. The reason I ask is I want to use the photo pass that comes with the annual pass on day 1. Thanks!

Get your photopass pictures on day one, and they'll show up once the AP becomes active on your account. In my experience, I did not lose anything from before the AP was showing in MDE.

I had a 3 day pass in December that I bought from UT. On the third day in the park (Hollywood Studios), which was during the black out time, we upgraded to our DVC Gold Passes. We had been in the park most of the day. A few of us were going back to the resort, but three of us were staying for the Star Wars Fireworks. We used the Guest Relations inside the park and made the switch. Two in our party left and three of us stayed until the fireworks were over. All was fine. We were finished using fast passes for the day and we had no problem. The Guest Relations cast member knew exactly what to do and although it took some time, it all went smoothly.

You could go right to the guest service inside the park but you don't have to. When you upgrade you will have access to any Photopass pictures that were taken and are still active in the system so you can do the upgrade later in the trip if that is more convenient.

So they take the 7-day hopper pass pricing and charge the difference between that and the gold pass? I need to look at my "regular" person reservations to see that cost. So much money in one year between buying BCV, going as a "regular" and upgrading to seasons for next year. #ThanksShanghai (ha I know it doesn't really apply but I've been dying to use it!)

Can this be done with older park hopper no expiration tickets. If so how do they determine the price of the hopper no expiration since they aren't sold anymore

Can this be done with older park hopper no expiration tickets. If so how do they determine the price of the hopper no expiration since they aren't sold anymore
Old no-expire tickets can't be upgraded.

Last edited:
We got the DVC special for 10 day passes with free waterparks. I was told when we bought the tickets we would be able to upgrade to the Gold annual pass since the water park was free...just want to make sure this is correct

We got the DVC special for 10 day passes with free waterparks. I was told when we bought the tickets we would be able to upgrade to the Gold annual pass since the water park was free...just want to make sure this is correct
If you use a water-park admission, you won't be able to upgrade to the gold pass. As long as you don't use a water-park entitlement, you can upgrade to the Gold pass.

Be aware, there's no cost benefit to upgrading; you'll only get credit for the amount you paid for the ticket. Tickets purchased directly from Disney don't get "bridged," so don't expect a credit for the gate price.

Oh no I hope she didnt lie to me..she said no problem since we didnt buy the water park part that we would be able to do that. What does bridging mean? We were told we get credit for what we paid against what the AP tickets will cost

Oh no I hope she didnt lie to me..she said no problem since we didnt buy the water park part that we would be able to do that. What does bridging mean? We were told we get credit for what we paid against what the AP tickets will cost

That sounds like the CM may be correct since she told you that you would receive credit for what you paid and in this case it's a special ticket so it does have some difference from a ticket with WP's added. Bridging is bringing the credit for a discounted ticket up to gate level before upgrading.

If I may ask - are you going during a Gold AP blackout period that you would want to use the ticket to do an upgrade? If not then you are losing the savings from the ticket. But if so then you are getting in during the days you otherwise couldn't but using a ticket from UCT or any other discount broker will allow bridging and retain the ticket savings. Although if you plan to use the Water parks and can still upgrade then this is the only way to go as otherwise it would normally require an upgrade to an AP that hast the water parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter