Tricks to stay COOL in the summer

just keep drinking water. Most places or stands will give you free cups of water BUT its the nasty FL tap water. If you have to chug that down then do it! Dont wait until you feel hot or thirty, it will be too late.

shh do not tell any one that the pools at the resort have fun activity throughout out the day mid morning on to evening ish) and a nice cool swim for an hour or tow followed my Stacy must do's while resting... well this is just my kind of Disney

but as other have said

cooling towels
fans with mister
light clothes / cooling cloths
hat/ small unbralla
water water water water power aid water water water power aid. ( you get the idea)

and just remember it si going to be hot

and be smart about FP ADR in door rides heat of the day out door rides morning late evenings

I also recommend light colored, moisture wicking light colored clothing and a hat with a brim. You also need to hydrate constantly - I recommend good old water. Drink when you are not thirsty.

Living in Alabama, one other thing that I've done is to try to spend more time outside when its hot and humid. I found that it took me a few weeks, but I got better aclimated to the heat and humidity.

You've all nearly convinced me to take afternoon breaks. At the very least, I'll build that option into our day. That way the fam won't feel badly if they need to take a break and neither will I. We will plan for second-tier rides and A/C shows for those who want to stay...and an afternoon of resting or swimming for those who want to leave the parks. Then we can all meet back around 7pm if we want to and stick around for the evenings. Thanks all!

(Ps- I just might wear sandles to the parks too!)

You've all nearly convinced me to take afternoon breaks. At the very least, I'll build that option into our day. That way the fam won't feel badly if they need to take a break and neither will I. We will plan for second-tier rides and A/C shows for those who want to stay...and an afternoon of resting or swimming for those who want to leave the parks. Then we can all meet back around 7pm if we want to and stick around for the evenings. Thanks all!

(Ps- I just might wear sandles to the parks too!)
if I go longer then 4 days I take an afternoon break at lest one time at my hotel I plane my FP for between 11-2 I do this so if I want to take a break I can. but I do not take a break at the hotel every day I may go to a near by hotel like the contepairy or GF when at the MK, but I do love to swim at the pool

Not a bad idea, to take a hotel break, but do it at a different hotel. A nice way to enjoy the atmosphere of a different resort and still get that downtime.

realize your choice at some point becomes either drop dead where you stand or take a break.

IT's going to be like spending every single second that you are outside of air conditioning in a sauna on the surface of the sun.
LOL!! My sentiments exactly!! But I took DD this past August for her birthday weekend, and we did 4 parks in 2 days. We did open until close. It can be done, and surprisingly we did survive!!

We wore our running clothes, used our Mission cooling towels (much lighter than the Frogg Togg Chilly Pads and easier to "refresh"), and drank water like mad. We went almost bagless, except our tiny sling bags just big enough to hold our Hydroflasks. We smelled like goats by early afternoon, but we had a great time!

So OP, if you have time for breaks, that's great,but if you really don't on some days, you can make it if you stay hydrated and take advantage of the indoor areas when you can.

I'm going to toss out one more thing and it has nothing to do with staying cool. It has EVERYTHING to do with those that can be affected by it. Anti-chafing balm (BodyGlide or the like). Even if you don't think you or your kids chafe in the wrong places, when they do, the day and possibly much of the trip is over.

I second the anti-chaffing balm! In places you might usually not chafe! I used it for the first time, at the recommendation of many here,
and did not chafe at all! Anywhere! It was the best Disney magic!! lol!!!

Also, another great cooling spot is the entrances to the Lego store at DS. Those AC blowers for the store entrances are awesome!!

This tip is kind of psychological: make the heat/humidity part of the experience. I know that sounds weird. The first time I visited Florida, I felt practically choked by humidity when the sliding doors opened at MCO. Arriving on property, I saw a supervisor wearing a suit in the wet 95 degree air, and the poor cast members in polyester coats at the Haunted Mansion, and wondered why the heck anyone would choose to build a resort in this place.
Once you accept that it's going to be hot, and you're going to be sticky and sweaty and covered in sunscreen goop all day, it's kind of liberating. In fact, at the Animal Kingdom, it even felt like it was part of the theming. Like I had really been dropped into some far off tropical safari, like in those old movies with explorers arriving in some colonial outpost. I secretly missed the heat last time I went there in the winter.

Also.... buy one of these water bottles with the double insulated walls. Yes, you can get free cups of water at the counters, but I've found that having these encourages me to hydrate more often all day, and you can carry them on rides. It keeps ice chilled for many hours. My favorite is the "Polar Bottle" (link) because it's lightweight and you can throw it in a sackpack. At the resort, I fill it up all the way to the top with ice and water, and then refill it throughout the day. It might need new ice throughout the day. Remember: if you have to go to the restroom frequently, despite the sweating, you're doing a good job at hydration.

Taking a break is a good idea. There's so much to do at WDW, it's better to take your time and make it a relaxing vacation than to go full throttle all day every day.

We keep frosty towels around the house to bring with us when it's really humid. They do sell these at disney which is where we first found out about them (but not everywhere, generally the couple main large gift shops have them and you can find them on the shop parks app to get the closest location) and ask at the resort gift shop. 1 per person has lasted us the full week as long as we didnt' go crazy with rinsing it off to keep it clean that it would wash what's on it away.

You can get them direct for 1/3 the price: http://www.frostytowel.com/ and the golf towels are rather large so the smaller washcloth is more than enough.

I like the way they work, they do quickly cool you, they do keep you from getting very sweaty for a reasonable amount of time. The catch22 is if you are even slightly sun burnt and not seeing the redness yet, you will instantly know your doing a bad sunscreen job.

We also use Banana Boat Sport CoolZone Continuous Sunscreen which also has that cooling effect. It's one of the few with some aloe in it so we've enjoyed cooling, getting some help from where we applied it less than adequate. I have no idea if this is accurate by I've noticed the small times like boat docks where there is bugs and such, they stay away when you are using this one. my daughter claims it's the aloe that's causing that.

Now this just helps keeping going but nothing helps more than slowing down a little, nice breaks, not shying away from longer wait but indoor queue lines to help cool when waiting for a ride as a break. Table service for lunch, especially later near 1-2pm is also a great way to escape the highest temp of the day and get a nice meal instead of favoring dinner in the park.

You mention your parents. How old are your parents? I ask because if they are seniors, they may require that afternoon break that you are trying to avoid. They may not think they do now, and they may not say anything once they get down there for fear of slowing everyone down. Just watch them closely. A nap or a swim may be in order.

As mentioned above, an alternate to going all the way back to your resort is a lunch at a nearby resort. We took a relaxing boat ride from DHS to Captain's Grille and had a lovely quiet meal. We take an air conditioned monorail ride to a relaxing lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It really isn't such a hardship cutting a few hours from the parks when they are open so late in the summer. These deluxe resorts are all lovely to visit, most have interesting gift shops and wonderful theming.

I've been during the hottest times - July 4th, Labor Day week (its awesome, very few children), Sept, Memorial Day, etc. I think most of these have been covered, but I'm never really that very hot, so its working, and I'm also not one of those people who is always cold.

First - even before I get espresso in the morning, I make myself down a bottle of water, and all travel companions. Starting hydrated is a good thing.
I always wear lightweight cotton skirts or more often sundresses with deep pockets. I throw a small wristlet in the pockets for security (in about 30 trips in 13 years, I've never been asked to take it out, it carries a iphone, pp, cc, cash, and lip gloss with sunscreen), no bag to make me hot, with cute sandals, so my feet are cool, and on hot days a wide brimmed hat with spv 50+ sunscreen. I wear those hipster style boy short underpants that are moisture licking, so I don't literally show my butt and they don't make me hot being high waisted.
Stay hydrated - we day drink at WDW, so I make sure for lots of water and no soda with each beverage.
Long mid day breaks for pool and naps.
Go early, stay late.

Have a blast!

We always go in July. It can be miserably hot at times but I find that we spend enough time in shade or indoors during the normal course of exploring the parks that it's not a big issue.

We were there last September and it was HOT. We discovered that the AC vents in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in the Magic Kingdom were awesome. They are in the ceiling near one of the doors. One especially just blasted straight down and would go nicely down the shirt LOL. We stopped off there several times just to stand under the vent for a couple minutes. It really helped.

Also, we had necklace fans that we got from Menards and they were awesome. Blew straight up on my neck/face and didn't need to be held.

Tons of water and a huge wide-rimmed hat. Be very very careful, the FL summer sun is no joke. We have been in Aug and saw 2 people faint one day due to dehydration. Force fluids, you can start to dehydrate and not realize it. The summer sun is relentless, it radiates off the pavement. Go slow and duck in stores to cool off.

Hi there! I live in a tropical country in Southeast Asia, where its 86 all year round, with very high humidity. And I wear hijab. So I fought heat all my life :D

The most common mistake I've seen is people wearing clothes that tends to be tight, even if they're short sleeved (like tank tops) and "athletic". Don't. Wear LOOSE and airy clothing, like loose shirts, or loose tunics (this or this should give you some ideas). With loose clothing, you'll have "air circulation" inside your clothing. So when you move around, you'll feel breezes. And when you sweat, the clothes don't stick to your skin.

Oh, in my experience, sweats are best evaporated, not absorbed by clothing. It's our body's natural way to make us feel cooler. We tropical people don't wear "moisture wicking" clothes, except sometimes when we exercise ;)

Wear only lightweight cotton (some cotton clothes can be thick), and never synthetic materials. If possible, wear clothes in light colours, so it reflects the sunlight, not absorb them. Take a cue from what tropical island people wear (for instance, Bali, in my home country). You'll see many of them wear very lightweight, loose, flowy, airy clothing. Even if they're long-sleeved, they can be much cooler than, let's say, fitted tank tops and leggings

Also, for me persoanally, the less things I have sticking on my body (watches, jewelries, bandannas, accessories, hats, etc) the better. I'd feel lighter, thus cooler. Backpacks also make my shoulders, armpits and back sweat a lot, so I would also consider the material of my backpack. Or hang it on the kids' strollers, make my husband wears it, or don't bring backpack at all.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
This tip is kind of psychological: make the heat/humidity part of the experience. I know that sounds weird. The first time I visited Florida, I felt practically choked by humidity when the sliding doors opened at MCO. Arriving on property, I saw a supervisor wearing a suit in the wet 95 degree air, and the poor cast members in polyester coats at the Haunted Mansion, and wondered why the heck anyone would choose to build a resort in this place.
Once you accept that it's going to be hot, and you're going to be sticky and sweaty and covered in sunscreen goop all day, it's kind of liberating. In fact, at the Animal Kingdom, it even felt like it was part of the theming. Like I had really been dropped into some far off tropical safari, like in those old movies with explorers arriving in some colonial outpost. I secretly missed the heat last time I went there in the winter.

Also.... buy one of these water bottles with the double insulated walls. Yes, you can get free cups of water at the counters, but I've found that having these encourages me to hydrate more often all day, and you can carry them on rides. It keeps ice chilled for many hours. My favorite is the "Polar Bottle" (link) because it's lightweight and you can throw it in a sackpack. At the resort, I fill it up all the way to the top with ice and water, and then refill it throughout the day. It might need new ice throughout the day. Remember: if you have to go to the restroom frequently, despite the sweating, you're doing a good job at hydration.

Taking a break is a good idea. There's so much to do at WDW, it's better to take your time and make it a relaxing vacation than to go full throttle all day every day.

Yes to all of this but especially the bolded. Because my husband is a teacher, we normally travel during summer. However, there have been a few times where we've gone in Feb and most recently November. For me, Disney just isn't right if I have to wear a sweatshirt and pants (or even hats and gloves)! I love Disney at night the most and there is nothing worse for me than shivering while waiting for fireworks. The heat during the day is brutal, but mornings and evenings are awesome. I could also be saying this because I'm currently in the northeast dead of winter right now!

Drink water and use cooling towels. The person who said they don't work in the FL heat and humidity I kindly disagree with. We go weekly to biweekly from July to September and those towels are a lifesaver. I wouldn't go without them in the summer time or, the way our weather has been here lately, in December. :) Of course I say that and it's going to be freezing this weekend so we're sadly cancelling our Disney plans.

We usually go to WDW in August (free dining from bounceback offers). Personally I hate those water/fans because I hate to carry anything around with me and it seems those things are always dripping. As others have said, hydrate like crazy! Drink so much that at times all you are doing is drinking and going to the bathroom. AND the bathrooms are generally nice and cold, so BONUS! Go early in the morning and late at night. Relax in the afternoon by going back to your resort, or have a short list of stuff you can do in each park that is out of the sun. For example, go to Club Cool in Epcot and drink a bunch of free soda or do the animation film festival where you can sit and relax (and it's usually a very short line). The Hall of Presidents is cool and a rather lengthy presentation, or go to the Tiki Room and then get a Dole Whip. The Polynesian also has Dole Whips in their CS restaurant and there are a lot of shops that are fun to explore in the hotel as well. There's a nice area along Main Street in WDW (to the right as you enter) where they have a museum-like area (I'm spacing on the name right now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter