Tree nut allergy help

smilie

I've been unwonked!
My niece is coming over for a sleepover and she is allergic to tree nuts.
Does anyone know of a bagel brand that is safe? And any other kid type foods that are safe?

Pizza, plain potato chips/pretzels, and sugar candy (like Swedish fish and sour patch kids) with some fruit would be my "dinner plans"...

And breakfast, I'd just do French Toast with Maple Syrup and Oj - pretty much all white breads should be fine. Or Bacon, Eggs, and Toast is certain to work.

I would check with her parents for things she really enjoys. Depending on how sensitive her allergy is, make sure no nuts are in the main area and keep them out of everyone else's hands.

There are more options than you think.

My daughter has a tree nut allergy. We ALWAYS read the package, even if it is a food that she’s had before.

We stay away from most fresh bakery items. There’s too mush risk in cross contamination.

She regularly eats Pringle’s, Cheetos, goldfish crackers, Oreos, string cheese,plain cheerios, and fresh fruits and veggies.

She doesn’t typically eat bagels, but I have bought mini bagels from Target before. I think it was Favorite Day bakery brand.

My daughter has a tree nut allergy. We ALWAYS read the package, even if it is a food that she’s had before.

We stay away from most fresh bakery items. There’s too mush risk in cross contamination.

She regularly eats Pringle’s, Cheetos, goldfish crackers, Oreos, string cheese,plain cheerios, and fresh fruits and veggies.

She doesn’t typically eat bagels, but I have bought mini bagels from Target before. I think it was Favorite Day bakery brand.
I want to 2nd the recommendation to always read labels. We just saw that the Mickey bars they sell in grocery stores just changed the labels to mention cross contamination. Warning was never there before. Stinks.

Yes. Always read the label. It is easy. The top 8 allergens have to be listed in all caps and bold letters under the ingredients, making it easy to see what is in the product. We also avoid products labeled if they are made in a factory or share equipment with products containing nuts for my child's peanut/tree nut allergy. If you are nervous, definitely ask her parents for some meal planning ideas, but always read the label yourself too, just to double check. Have a good time!

There are two tree nut allergy groups on Facebook. You could join and lurk, do group searches for the items you want to get. People will probably have listed several brands already of foods you want. Of course, still check the back label to make sure ingredients haven't changed. But, it does make going to the store much easier armed with brands to look for.

Peanut/Tree Nut Allergy- Safe Food Finds

Tree Nut Allergy Support Group

Things like bagels can vary depending on where they are made. Our local supermarket's store brand bagels are safe, but Thomas' have a nut warning. However, I've been in other parts of the country and Thomas' bagels did not have a nut warning, so things can vary even with the same brand. Like many others have said, read the labels of everything - even hand soap and lotion, shampoo, etc.

My son has a tree nut allergy. Allergies have varying degrees of severity. He has to actually eat something to get sick. Cross-contamination isn't an issue with him fortunately. I would definitely reach out to the parents. His allergy extends to things you wouldn't think of like sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, some fruits... so I would definitely ask.

And ask parents about the severity of the allergy and what to look for/do in case of a reaction. If the allergy is severe enough to possibly require emergency action, such as administration of epinephrine, make sure she has an epi pen and she, and you, know how to use it.

DS has a tree nut allergy & we have found that any tree fruit
that is not "tropical" also affects him.
He has reacted to peaches, cherries, plums, etc.
He has no problem with mango (is crazy for it).
We were told he can eat canned fruit, as the heat process
changes it metabolically (or something),
but he won't eat any of those fruits no matter what (his choice - no problem).
I mention this as someone suggested fruit (which is not a bad thing),
but I would ask your niece's parents about EVERYTHING they are aware of.

God bless you for caring!

And ask parents about the severity of the allergy and what to look for/do in case of a reaction. If the allergy is severe enough to possibly require emergency action, such as administration of epinephrine, make sure she has an epi pen and she, and you, know how to use it.
I find the "how severe is the allergy?" question a bit of a misguided, but well intended, question. The problem with a food allergy is that it can get worse over time with exposure, so you never know whether it could become anaphylactic even if it never has been. Also, adults can develop food allergies even if they've never had one. I know a few people that this happened to.

That said, I think it would be a great benefit if more people knew how to use epinephrine auto-injectors. There are multiple brands and they can be intimidating, but they are not difficult to use with a little bit of training. We have one made by Auvi-Q and I love it because the Training Device talks you through the steps of how to dispense the medicine (like Siri or Alexa!). This is great for both beginners and panicking caregivers in an emergency.

Severity is a consideration. I had a childhood allergy to chocolate. if I consumed chocolate, I broke out in hives, but never has respiratory issues. The pediatrician did not recommend the use
of epinephrine injections.

I have numerous friends with different allergies and different sensitivities. For some of them, a very small exposure results in respiratory distress and the need for immediate medical intervention.

One needs to understand the level of risk and be prepared to act accordingly.

DS has a tree nut allergy & we have found that any tree fruit
that is not "tropical" also affects him.
He has reacted to peaches, cherries, plums, etc.
He has no problem with mango (is crazy for it).
We were told he can eat canned fruit, as the heat process
changes it metabolically (or something),
but he won't eat any of those fruits no matter what (his choice - no problem).
I mention this as someone suggested fruit (which is not a bad thing),
but I would ask your niece's parents about EVERYTHING they are aware of.

God bless you for caring!

I have that that same condition. It is technically called "Oral Allergy Syndrome." An allergist explained it to me: I am actually allergic to certain TREES. Since fruits & nuts come from those trees, they have the same or similar DNA, which is what I am allergic too.

I cannot eat these fruits & nuts RAW. I CAN have them if they've been heated in some way, which includes: cooked, baked, poached, roasted, canned, fried. Heating the fruit breaks down the enzyme or protein I am allergic to.

Your son is right to err on the side of caution to not eat them even if they are cooked, as the allergist warned, I may become anaphylactic at any time to the fruit. It could be the next time I eat it or the hundredth time, or not at all.

Your son is lucky he's not allergic to mangoes. I'd give anything to have a nice juicy mango. Yet, even canned, I notice I still have a problem with it. :( Maybe it was just that one company. (Trader Joe's had them in mason jars.) Maybe they didn't need to heat them enough to break down the enzyme to jar them. But, I won't be trying other brands. :(

I also have to make sure any nuts added to a salad have been roasted or toasted, as raw ones will cause a reaction.

I am also allergic to tomatoes & cucumbers as both are fruit. Also allergic to all melons, peaches, pears, apples, plums, kiwi, cherries.

About the only fruit I can have are berries. (Although sometimes I have a reaction to strawberries. Not sure why it's sometimes.) I can have bananas and pineapple. I haven't tried any other tropical fruit since I have a reaction to mangoes & kiwi. :( Basically when I go to a farmers market or green grocer, I see all the fruits I CAN'T have. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter