• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travelling with my mom who has MS - any tips/suggestions?

nannye

DIS Veteran
I am taking my parents to Disney for an adult trip oct 30-nov12. My mom has Multiple Sclerosis. We are renting an offsite scooter for her. She uses one at home so she is well versed in that. I'm wondering what I can do in the parks to help her. I know some lines she can take the scooter in line so that's great. Can she use the GAC (or whatever it is called now)? I was told that moving platforms such as haunted mansion, could be stopped? Is this true?
Those with MS or similar any specific suggesetions to help make this a more enjoyable trip for her?
TIA
ERin

Your mom being familiar with ECVs (scooters) and having one reserved for your trip is half the battle.
Has she been to WDW before or is this her first trip?
The GAC is now called DAS. If your mom's main issues are mobility, endurance, or stamina then she probably doesn't need and probably wouldn't qualify for a DAS. There are stickies at the top of the disABILITIES board with information about that. A lot of good info in the stickies.

The problems associated with MS can vary from person to person. Can she stand for short periods or walk short distances?

Most lines are mainstreamed for ECVs and wheelchairs. The CMs at any ride/attraction should help you with where to go and what to do. It depends on the ride whether the moving platform/belt can be slowed or stopped.

I'm sure others here will add some info. Hope you all have a fun trip :goodvibes

I have MS and have gone to WDW many times. It is important to pace yourself and stay hydrated. On the days I decided to push It I paid for it in fatigue the next day. I carry a small umbrella to provide shade if I need it. I say partly cloudy days are my friends. It is important not to get over heated. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Have a great trip.

I would recommend some lighted additions to the scooter for nighttime visits. I have a pair of flashing ears and some little other keychain blinkers that seem to help stop people from falling over me. I also take a little blanket for fireworks to cover my feet. It does get cold in FL sometimes.

I have MS and my biggest obstacle at WDW is the heat. You're going at a great time of year, but there can still be some pretty warm days under the hot sun. Staying cool is very important for MS'ers, as heat can cause symptoms to flare.

I use a spray fan or a cool gel cloth (you can get them in sports stores) on my neck to keep my temperature down.

Thank you for the tips and suggestions, I would appreciate any more someone has to share!

I have MS and here are some things I do for our trip. We take a backpack and in it I have personal fans, cooling cloths and single use ice packs. I usually get 3 boxes of ice packs at walmart. They are about $6 and 2 in a pack. If I get over heated and start to have an episode you grab it shake it up and it's good for 20 minutes or so. Long enough time to put ice on me and get water in me. We also make sure to eat in A/C and never outside for lunch and dinner. I know some say eating meals in the park takes up so much time but this gives my body a chance to rest and get cool and out of the sun. While my days are best in the morning until about 11am and then it's down hill your mom may be different. Take advantage of evening hours and maybe a rest or nap at the hotel at the height of the day. When the sun is down and a cool breeze is blowing is a good time to go out if I'm not exhausted. Also go for as long as you can so you can take your time and stop when she needs to. We now go for 12 days so I can pace myself. I also avoid parades unless we happen upon them. Sitting in the sun on pavement waiting for a parade is exhausting and overheating. Oh and we are methodical in planning our day in the park. We do not criss cross. I know some planning guides or others taking advantage of FP+ have to do this but I plan to take as few steps as possible in between attractions to keep fatigue down and overheating from the sun. For example in MK we do all of tomorrowland so I'd go from one to the next with a FP+ for space mountain before lunch. I'm not going to go to Fantasy land then adventureland then wait for a parade. Take the time to plan ahead. There's a ton of other things I'm sure I do too but these are the ones that prevail every trip and are a given no matter what time of year we go. one last thing we pick 3 nights for fireworks 1 at each park the rest of the nights I am back to the hotel after dinner and rest while the others go to the pool or the movie.

FYI, you can get larger boxes of the one-time use cold packs online. I bought a box of 24 (for home) on Amazon for under $20 a while ago. When I'm going out, I grab a couple to bring along with me. I have severe heat intolerance (not from MS) and it's saved me more than once from serious problems while out. I've twice been to WDW at almost the exact dates as you'll be there; one year it was fairly pleasant (low to mid 70s), but the other it was 80s & 90s and very humid (despite the fact that it hadn't rained for 3 weeks, which is unusual that time of year). For me that's enough to cause problems so I'd possibly go through most or all of a 24 count box in a 2 week trip. You might want to consider ordering a box of the cold packs online to be delivered to your resort. If you end up with extras, you can either bring them home or see if you can find someone to "pay it forward" and give them to. Anyone who wants the info on the specific ones I bought, feel free to PM me for a link :-) I know they're not as environmentally friendly as re-usabled cold packs, but I don't need to worry about finding a way to freeze, wet, or get ice from somewhere for the disposable cold packs.

The DAS is for needs that relate to having problems waiting in line that do not deal with mobility or stamina (for those they recommend an ECV or wheelchair). So most or all of her limitations may be mitigated with the ECV. If she has additional needs, what she needs to be able to explain to GS is what her needs are that prevent her from being able to wait. If you want more info, there's a sticky on DAS (make sure you look at the one for WDW, not DLR) at the top of the board and the first post has been kept up to date with all the information about the DAS and how it works. Most lines are mainstreamed so she'll be able to bring the ECV through. There are a few where an ECV can't go through the line, but a wheelchair can. For those she'll have the option to transfer to a wheelchair (they should have them at the ride for you to use) or walk through the regular line. For attractions where the regular line isn't accessible your party will either be directly sent to the accessible entrance (often the exit) or, if there are a lot of people waiting to board through the accessible entrance, given a "Wheelchair Return Card" with a time to return. These are completely separate from the DAS. It's unlikely to happen, but you can hold multiple wheelchair return cards at once. You have an hour window to return after the time on the return card. There's no way to know in advance if one of the rides with return cards is actually using them since it varies on how busy they are and she will have to be there to obtain the return time.

There really aren't many rides that have alternate entrances and most are in MK because it's the oldest park. There's a FAQ in the stickies on this board that has a list of the rides with alternate entrances (which are the ones where there's any chance of getting a return card). The only ride that does not have any accessible entrance is Tomorrowland Transit Authority (or whatever it's called these days); the line is an inclined moving walkway so even if they could stop it, it wouldn't work for access. Of the accessible rides with moving walkways, Peter Pan is the only one that can't be slowed or stopped; she'd need to be able to board PP in the same amount of time as anyone else. I have heard of guests being allowed to enter PP and watch to see if they can transfer in the time allowed (I'm probably the only person ever whose been to WDW more than once and not ever even tried to ride PP so I can't confirm and these days I doubt I could make the transfer safely) . Again, there's a list of which rides can be slowed/stopped in the FAQ. The only extra warning there is that some CMs don't always like to slow or stop the walkways. It's worth pressing, especially because the time of year you're going really isn't very busy.

I'd suggest considering a plan involving touring from rope drop until midday/early afternoon, taking a few hours to rest/relax back at the resort, and then returning in the evening (around dinner time) if you're all up for it. One of the reasons is that will avoid the hottest and sunniest times of day. Another way to avoid some of the heat is to alternate indoor and outdoor attractions. The majority of the exposure to heat/sun is going between attractions. If she's on any meds that increase photosensitivity, she should really make sure to wear sunscreen (at least SPF 15, but better if it's 30+) and try to go with long sleeves (even better to wear clothing with extra UV protection built in).

The other big reason to go back to the hotel in the middle of the day is so that she gets a chance to rest and recharge. She can also rest in First Aid if needed, but I don't find that as restful as an actual break lying down in my room. It's always easier to try to prevent fatigue than recover after it's gotten to be too much. The same thing regarding prevention is true for pain as well. The ECV will help with preventing both pain and fatigue from increasing, but more active prevention is the best. That could be the break, it could be talking to her doctor about an additional pain medication to bring (and actually use it when pain starts to get worse than normal, not wait until she can't stand it), or could be something else. She probably knows what works for her.

During the trip check in with her to see how she's doing, but don't insist she has to do something to mitigate symptoms (take a break when the rest of you aren't, take a med, etc.). She isn't going to want to be treated like she can't make her own decisions about her care. Sometimes well-intentioned relatives/friends get over zealous about protecting someone with a disability/chronic medical condition so that the person with the condition feels like they're being treated like they're a kid. All that does is make the person mad and less likely to be reasonable about taking care of problems appropriately. I'm not saying you do (or would have done) that to her, but it's such an easy trap to fall into without realizing that I wanted to mention it. Suggestions or reasons why it might be better for her to do/not do something are okay if she admits to or obviously has a problem. I'm sure she also hates to feel like she's slowing/limiting the people she's with. This can lead to not speaking up when problems do occur. That's one of the reasons building in that planned resort time in the afternoon for the entire party can be beneficial. She won't feel like she's left out or causing the family to alter plans because she got tired/started having extra pain. Plus, the time back at the resort can recharge everyone and/or give you a chance to see things there you wouldn't normally.

Finally, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It's worth asking her to ask her doctor if there are things that are better for her to use than others. In general water is the best for most people because anything else has something in it that reduces the effectiveness with hydration, but some medical conditions mean something else is better (or needed along with the water). Making sure she has access to food and eats relatively close to her normal schedule is also important.

Sorry for the overload of info. I have no idea if all of it will be useful, but I wanted to think of as much as I could. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Disney has tightened the turning radius on several of their waiting lines. This is since last Dec. We are here now and I have had to back up more this trip than most. Have your mom practice tight back and forth turns in limited space. The worst is in the Living seas Finding Nemo ride. It is dark and very tight left and right turns. There is no formal handicapped entrance for this ride.

As for cooling I have bought a cooling vest. Really a wide belt. that goes around your middle under clothes. You put ice packs in them. It comes with ice packs. I have them frozen at resort. They will store them in first aide. I got mine from Polar soft ice. But there are many companies that sell them.

I have also used Chillie Pads from frogg toggs. You buy online or in sports stores or walmart. No fridge, freezer needed.

Rest when needed. A/C is helps also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter