Travelling with kids under the age of 12 - what ARE the rules??

friedela

DIS Veteran
I am trying to get info about what the rules are for unvaxxed kids under the age of 12 right now. I thought I had heard that they were exempt from mandatory quarantine if their parents were vaxxed but I also read that they still can't go to school. So.... there's pretty much no change IMO. If they can't go to school then that still makes travel for kids under the age of 12 pretty impossible at this point. Am I wrong on this?? And does anyone know what the rules are if 1 parent is vaccinated and the other isn't?

Yes they can not return to school . Google covid travel regulations Canada and all the most current info will pop up

Yes they can not return to school . Google covid travel regulations Canada and all the most current info will pop up

Thanks for the help, I had looked at the government website but I was just confused not knowing it had changed. AGAIN. This pretty much is the nail in the coffin for our Febuarary trip :sad2:

Thanks for the help, I had looked at the government website but I was just confused not knowing it had changed. AGAIN. This pretty much is the nail in the coffin for our Febuarary trip :sad2:
I am hopeful my under 12 kids will be vaccinated by our March trip and able to go to school when we return. Shouldn’t be too much longer now for a vaccine for 5+

My child is under 5 so it sort of rules out any trips for us unless we want to take 3+ weeks off work. We have family overseas who we’d like to visit. We are vaxxed but no idea when a vaccine will be available for him.

We’re thinking of going to DLR the week before Christmas break so our kids only miss one week of school. Just nervous one of them will test positive coming home and we’ll have to stay there…..going to think about it!

I am trying to get info about what the rules are for unvaxxed kids under the age of 12 right now. I thought I had heard that they were exempt from mandatory quarantine if their parents were vaxxed but I also read that they still can't go to school. So.... there's pretty much no change IMO. If they can't go to school then that still makes travel for kids under the age of 12 pretty impossible at this point. Am I wrong on this?? And does anyone know what the rules are if 1 parent is vaccinated and the other isn't?

I mean the unvaccinated parent won't be able to travel to the US starting Nov 8th. But from what I have read any children under 12 who aren't vaccinated are required to semi-quarantine with a vaccinated adult. This means they aren't restricted to 1 room and can still go outdoors in uncrowded places but they are not allowed to attend school or sports/activities until 2 weeks after you get home. Not sure when this change happened but I noticed it a couple months ago as I had a friend who was planning to bring her 11 yo with us to DL.

Seeing some good deals for spring but we have a seven year old so probably won't book yet. Even if vaccines become available, by the time she gets double vaccinated it will probably be awhile...

If you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, your unvaccinated children must follow specific requirements when you return to or enter Canada. This applies to unvaccinated children under 12 years of age who are accompanying a parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who qualified as a fully vaccinated traveller when they entered Canada.
For the next 14 days, the children:
  • must take pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests (unless under the age of 5)
  • can’t attend school, camp or daycare
  • can’t attend large crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event
  • can’t take buses, subways, trains or other crowded transportation must follow all the requirements in the children’s handout provided at the border

We’re thinking of going to DLR the week before Christmas break so our kids only miss one week of school. Just nervous one of them will test positive coming home and we’ll have to stay there…..going to think about it!

That's a risk for the whole family, vaccinated or not. Another reason we're holding off.

Seeing some good deals for spring but we have a seven year old so probably won't book yet. Even if vaccines become available, by the time she gets double vaccinated it will probably be awhile...

If you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, your unvaccinated children must follow specific requirements when you return to or enter Canada. This applies to unvaccinated children under 12 years of age who are accompanying a parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who qualified as a fully vaccinated traveller when they entered Canada.
For the next 14 days, the children:
  • must take pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests (unless under the age of 5)
  • can’t attend school, camp or daycare
  • can’t attend large crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event
  • can’t take buses, subways, trains or other crowded transportation must follow all the requirements in the children’s handout provided at the border

Yeah so it's in essence 2 weeks of house arrest (no school not public places) to enjoy 1 week of a vacation. So not worth it IMO. We will cancel this trip and rebook when the world regains it's sanity (if that ever happens).

Yeah so it's in essence 2 weeks of house arrest (no school not public places) to enjoy 1 week of a vacation. So not worth it IMO. We will cancel this trip and rebook when the world regains it's sanity (if that ever happens).

It’s not house arrest. They just can’t go to school, daycare or activities. Kids should be able to be vaccinated soon. It won’t be an issue then.

It’s not house arrest. They just can’t go to school, daycare or activities. Kids should be able to be vaccinated soon. It won’t be an issue then.

I said it is IN ESSENCE house arrest... yes they can leave for a walk around the block so if you want to get super technical about it then it is not a true house arrest but my point is that the rules still make travel incredibly difficult when kids can't go to school for 2 full weeks and that is where they spend the majority of their waking hours. It has a significant impact.. particularly if you have kids who can't academically afford to miss that much school (say nothing of the time actually spent on vacation as well, you're looking at a minimum of 3 weeks off school). Also "kids should be vaccinated soon it won't be an issue then" is no comfort to families who have children younger than 5 who can't travel because they don't have the luxury of coming from a home where their parents can afford to take off 2 additional weeks to be home with them. Not everyone is able to work from home. No matter how sunny we try to make it sound - it still makes travel incredibly difficult for many, many families.

Last edited:
DH, 12 year old son and myself are fully vaccinated. Still holding out hope that the 8 and 10 year old will be vaccinated by Boxing Day for our trip to Aulani. Even if we can just get Dose 1 by Nov 27, they can get Dose 2 as soon as we land in Hawaii and be considered fully vaccinated for our return to Canada (if we extend our stay by 2 days…which I am TOTAlLY willing to do).

DH, 12 year old son and myself are fully vaccinated. Still holding out hope that the 8 and 10 year old will be vaccinated by Boxing Day for our trip to Aulani. Even if we can just get Dose 1 by Nov 27, they can get Dose 2 as soon as we land in Hawaii and be considered fully vaccinated for our return to Canada (if we extend our stay by 2 days…which I am TOTAlLY willing to do).
I will cross my fingers and toes for you. No hope of my one kid under 12 being fully vaccinated before our trip starts or finishes but at this point I'm just hoping and no one brings home sniffles before we leave. What a nightmare that would be...

Not to be super nit-picky but to be considered fully vaccinated in Canada, that means you are 14 days post your second shot. So even if your two youngest kids get their second shot in Hawaii over the break, they won't be considered fully vaccinated til later in January....

Not to be super nit-picky but to be considered fully vaccinated in Canada, that means you are 14 days post your second shot. So even if your two youngest kids get their second shot in Hawaii over the break, they won't be considered fully vaccinated til later in January....
Yup - We are away for 14+ days (well, currently 13, but I will tack on an extra couple of days if needed). I got a booster vax at CVS when I was there last month, and it is super easy to book in advance. It will be our first stop between the airport and Aulani!

Last edited:
Yup - We are away for 14+ days (well, currently 13, but I will tack on an extra couple of days if needed). I got a booster vax at CVS when I was there last month, and it is super easy to book in advance. It will be our first stop between the airport and Aulani!
Love it! You're crossing those T's and dotting those I's 😀

I said it is IN ESSENCE house arrest... yes they can leave for a walk around the block so if you want to get super technical about it then it is not a true house arrest but my point is that the rules still make travel incredibly difficult when kids can't go to school for 2 full weeks and that is where they spend the majority of their waking hours. It has a significant impact.. particularly if you have kids who can't academically afford to miss that much school (say nothing of the time actually spent on vacation as well, you're looking at a minimum of 3 weeks off school). Also "kids should be vaccinated soon it won't be an issue then" is no comfort to families who have children younger than 5 who can't travel because they don't have the luxury of coming from a home where their parents can afford to take off 2 additional weeks to be home with them. Not everyone is able to work from home. No matter how sunny we try to make it sound - it still makes travel incredibly difficult for many, many families.

Agree with you 100%. If you are a working parent who relies on daycare it’s impossible to travel with the kids right now. We have a 3 year old and 1 year old twins - it feels like we won’t be able to leave the country for years.

I'm not feeling very hopeful about our trip at the end of Feb either. They would need their first shot before Christmas, in order to allow for the 8 weeks between shots and then 2 weeks to be considered fully vaxxed. I'm just not sure that is going to happen. We do have a back-up trip booked for next August but it would be so nice to go on vacation (and escape the cold and snow!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter